Contest Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Author Gwen Cooper is sharing a copy of her new book with the TCS community! :clap:

[amazonimage]1946885657[/amazonimage]
I'm sure Gwen's book will resonate with the experiences of many of us here. I mean, just look at the title:
My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines

Celebrate the human-feline bond with all its joys, mysteries, and life-changing moments! Gwen Cooper—author of the blockbuster bestseller Homer’s Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life With a Blind Wonder Cat—returns with the ongoing adventures of her much-beloved, world-famous fur family. Ideal for new readers and longtime fans alike, this memoir told in eight purr-fect cat stories is filled with all the humor and heart Gwen’s devoted readership has come to know and love.

Editing to Add:
Gwen Cooper has generously added a copy of Homer and the Holiday Miracle to the giveaway! So we'll now choose two winners, each getting a book! :clap:

We're going to have some fun and enjoy sharing more funny cat stories in this giveaway!

How Do I Enter?

1. Post in this thread with the word ENTRY and share a funny or heartwarming story about your cat or cats. We're not setting any limits on length - just try to share the story as best you can.

2. Have more than one story to share? Awesome! You can post once a day as long as you share a different story each time.

3. These can be stories about cats, past or present. Your own pet cats, or other cats in your life. As long as the story is funny and/or heartwarming, we want to hear it!

4. This GIVEAWAY will run for ten (10) days. Last entry can be made by midnight (Pacific Time) on Tuesday, December 11th.

5. The winner will be selected in random from all eligible entries.

6. Each member can have up to 10 entries in total.

7. To participate in this giveaway you must be over 18 (eighteen) years of age.

8. The prize can be shipped to a US address only. The winner must provide a local US address.

9. This giveaway is for TCS members only. To win you must be a member with at least 5 posts on the site by the day of the draw. If you're new to the community, welcome! Please contribute quality content and avoid spam posts just to boost your post count for the contest and don't forget to read the site rules.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY;

Okay so... one day I was out with my kitten, Saru. This was a few months back before I managed to get the pet backpack I use for him now so he was only maybe two months old.

I had him in the pet stroller I have and was taking him with me when I went out that day so he could get some socializing and so I could find where the soup kitchen was. I left about around 11AM because I was hoping I could make it up there by 12PM to get something to eat.

I wound up not being able to find it and decided to sit down at the park area downtown for a rest when a woman called out to me with her three dogs.

I wound up talking with her for a bit, but when I was gonna head home she insisted that she knew where the food pantry and soup kitchen was and that she'd show me. By this time it was already a little after 1PM so there was no way they'd be open, but I figured at least I could find out where they were.

So pushing Saru along with me, I followed her until it was around 6PM as she showed me where both were. By that time I informed her I really had to go home.

By this time I had been out for seven hours on my feet, pushing this pet carriage around and was exhausted. I made it to the beginning street going up to where I needed to go to get home and collapsed to my knees on the ground. My head rested against the side of the carriage and I felt weak, dizzy and my body was in pain. I was worn out beyond imagine and felt hopeless in making it any further.

As I was feeling ready to just stay there for an hour or so till my body recovered--which of course at six at night is really not the best idea--I felt something gently pet my head like a small hand caressing it and going, 'there there, its okay'.

When I looked up, I saw a tiny paw sticking out of the carriage and a half of an orange kitten face with just the nose and one eye showing behind the paw, giving a small mew of encouragement.

I was in disbelief at first seeing what he'd been doing but after I couldn't help feeling so overwhelmingly happy that he was there for me, supporting and encouraging me, trying to make me feel better that I laughed it off, thanked him for giving me his support and decided to push till we made it home.

That small gesture he gave me that day gave me enough energy to barely feel the pain and fill me with enough stamina to not only make it to the hill I live on but push it all the way up get all the way home before I collapsed on the couch.

For me, cats have always been my energy and encouragement through my whole life and this one was no different, letting me know he was there for me and feeling sorry for me when I was feeling beaten down and broken. When I didn't think my body could go any further, giving me the energy to push through regardless.

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY;

I have a short funny story of my kitty Kimmi! This still makes me chuckle when I talk about it! :D
Ok about a week after I got Kimmi she climbs into bed with me & hubs. My husband has a CPAP machine he has to wear a mask at night. So Kimmi was very curious about this masked thing in bed with me! She stalks my hubs, is crouched down & then BAP! Right across hubs mask! Lol so that was funny once & she took off. We thought that was over with. Then she slowly stalks hubs again then BAP! BAP! BAP! She whacks his mask a good one! At this point hubs was a little upset because Kimmi was not hitting lightly! Lol shes a tough feline! So hubs then covered his face with the blanket & Kimmi was not giving up this battle! She continued to pounce & attack this masked man! Lol shes a hoot!

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY;

I have a short funny story of my kitty Kimmi! This still makes me chuckle when I talk about it! :D
Ok about a week after I got Kimmi she climbs into bed with me & hubs. My husband has a CPAP machine he has to wear a mask at night. So Kimmi was very curious about this masked thing in bed with me! She stalks my hubs, is crouched down & then BAP! Right across hubs mask! Lol so that was funny once & she took off. We thought that was over with. Then she slowly stalks hubs again then BAP! BAP! BAP! She whacks his mask a good one! At this point hubs was a little upset because Kimmi w
@moderator this was an OOPS & i can't remove it myself. Lol could someone remove my oops? =) thanks! Lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Entry;
My mother was breeding apple-head Siamese when I was a teenager. We kept one male from the last/final litter.
This kitten grew into a cat that was cram-packed with personality, and we named him Yuma.
On this particular day, I was at school and mom was home. I believe there was a weather change coming that day, or maybe not LOL.
The house was built in such a way that a person could walk from room to room all around a central core. Yuma made this his racetrack.
He made four round trips, and on the fifth, mother heard a very odd thump, and no more running sounds.

Yuma had taken a detour, jumped onto a desk, and tried to jump into a still life painting that was hanging on the wall.

He was unfazed and unharmed, but a bit confused as to why this "window" wasn't one :)

Last edited:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

When I was growing up I had a Siamese named Mitzi. She loved to lie on our screened in porch when the day was sunny and warm. One day I when to the door when the doorbell rang. Nobody was there but Mitzi was stretched out with her front paws on the doorbell. She walked into the house, and after that she 'rang the doorbell' when we didn't come when she meowed to call us.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Lily was abandoned when she was young and had five kittens. She still is afraid of being left, and will often cry her heart out when I go to another room.

Usually, both my cats sleep with me, but if they've already gone to sleep somewhere, I don't disturb them to take them to bed. One night, Lily had gone to bed for the night in her cat bed high on a shelf. Mingo and I retired without her. In the middle of the night, Lily woke up and found herself abandoned again. Her cries were so loud they woke up both Mingo and me. After a while, Mingo slid off the bed and then I heard Lily choke up in the middle of a wail. A little while later, the two cats jumped up on my bed.

Mingo had heard her crying and had gone and gotten her to bring her back to bed.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Many years ago before we finally got around to buying a microwave, we used to pop our popcorn in a West Bend Stir Crazy popcorn popper that we had had forever, sorta like this. You just poured a little bit of oil onto the bottom part that kind of looked like a round electric skillet, added your popcorn kernels, put the plastic dome on top, and plugged it in. Then the stirring rod at the bottom would keep spinning around and around so the popcorn wouldn't stick or burn. The process seemed pretty slow at first, as just one or two kernels would pop every now and then. But eventually business would pick up, and then all of a sudden the popcorn would pop like crazy.

One day when the cats and I had the house all to ourselves, I didn't really feel like cooking for just little ol' me. So I decided to pop some popcorn for lunch. Now our popcorn popper was pretty old, and the stirring rod had a pesky tendency to stick. So we'd usually leave the top off until the stirring rod stopped getting stuck, and then put it on.

Well, it was one of those days when I was trying to get a zillion things done, and I figured I had time to step away from the popcorn popper for just a minute or two to grab something from the bedroom. By the time I got there, I had already forgotten I had the popcorn popper going, and started changing the sheets.

All of a sudden I heard a really loud, rat-a-tat-tat sound like when there's machine gun fire on a TV show. Except the TV wasn't on.

I ran toward the kitchen, and popcorn was flying EVERYWHERE, like tiny little missiles. Our couch potato kitties were having a grand old time playing with the white, fluffy projectiles. They were jumping into the air, slipping the surly bonds of earth, and twisting and performing acrobatic feats in mid-air that would be the envy of the Cirque du Soleil.

As I frantically scrambled to put the plastic top on the popcorn popper, the cats were quickly turning the flying pieces of popcorn into their purr-sonal sports entertainment center. They slammed the fluffy bits to the floor like tennis balls, and got an impromptu hockey game going. Their defense was terrible, as they kept scoring one goal after another as they swatted pieces of popcorn under the refrigerator.

Once I finally got the top secured and it stopped raining popcorn, our cats were furious. How dare I put an end to their fun! But their sulk was short lived, as they discovered all sorts of new games they could play with the pieces that were still on the floor. Well, until I got the broom out, anyway. :wink:

Unfortunately, after that, the cats thought the popcorn popper was a new interactive toy. Oh, how they whined and begged for me to have popcorn for lunch every day there for a while!

We finally got our first microwave a short time later, along with a bunch of bags of microwave popcorn. It's certainly more convenient, but not nearly as much fun. :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Entry

The tree was flocked up, ornaments hanging with care
Just red and white lights, as is traditional fare
It was a bitter cold night, I'd say zero, or below
Fireplace was glowing, warm'n toasty ya know
I in my undies, Mom in her robe
Covered up in our recliners, watching Die Hard unfold

When far down the hall, there arose such a clatter
I rolled my eyes, thinking, "Now what's the matter?"
Then into the living room, Buddy shot like a rocket
Hot on the heals, of a surprising quick moving object

What's Buddy chasing!? My wife exclaimed with glee
"I'm really not sure, but they are BOTH in the tree!"
((Her exclamation wasn't exactly glee, but...I'm not much of a poet either))

So up we both jumped, turning on the lights as we went
Straight to the tree, with a bewildered intent
She grabbed the cat, And much to my surprise
Parting the branches yielded two beady little eyes
A cute furry little creature, called a Chipmunk by name
He'd found himself a new home, in our now defunct tree of shame

Straight out of Christmas Vacation, would be our translation
Oh the stories we'll have, of this unbelievable occasion

As we planned our attack for catching this intruder
It dawned on me not, the persistence of said critter
A tricky situation, some solutions demand
I'll just go get Gibs and let him lend a hand
The voice of reason says "NO!, my beautiful tree!"
Yes, I came to my senses, I'm not completely crazy

What to do. What to do. I pondered to see....
And that's when it hit me. Not an idea, but a CHIPMUNK ON ME!
Buddy got loose, up my left side he flew
Chipmunk down the right, what a clever little shrew
Both of them under my recliner, like their tails were on fire
Hoping for a quick exit, was now our newest desire
I got Buddy out, with one sure, swift surge
30 minutes later, still no Chipmunk to emerge?

My recliner is heavy, to be certain it was
But we got it outside, dabm the consequenceuz.. (see what I did there)

So on the front porch, several tools by my side
Pulling staples, stitching, and upholstery, I would not be denied

He'd found himself a corner, way up high in the back
Snuggled in all comfy, yet ready to fend off an attack
He sure wanted to stay, it was freezing out there
As I, still in my boxers, was fully aware!

In the end, victory would be shared
I gently helped him on his way, frozen solid I still cared

You may not believe it, but this story is true
I'm not one to embellish, or drink in excess strange brew
I even heard him exclaim, as he scurried out of sight
Merry Chistmas to all, and to all a good night!

RCM mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Entry

This is not a funny story but a "they pick us story". Not long after my mother in law passed I kept having a recurring dream about an orange cat not kitten named Charlie. I had the dream many times, same dream, he was in a shelter and no one was adopting him as he was not a kitten and a big boy. Hubby thought I was losing it. Well one day hubby and I went to pet store and they have cats for adoption there from local shelter. As we walk through the door the sweet elderly volunteer was holding a orange cat and called to us and asked if we could help her as she could not handle him and clean out his cage at the same time. Hubby looks at me and says " if his name is Charlie, we are walking away". We go over to help her out and of course the name on the cage is Charlie, we could not believe our eyes. As we are holding this cat, which I still say was this woman's play game to get people to hold these cats...I am telling her all about my dream. She say to me that's funny and we notice the birth date on Charlie's cage was the week my mother in law passed. She also comments " how about that, today of all days" not knowing what she was talking about hubby asked her what she meant, she told us it was Martin Luther King Day...I had a dream.....so needless to say we told her to do up the paper work as he was coming home with us. As she was asking us for info we told her our name W***art, she said well how about that my last name is W***ert and showed us her badge. Well we knew then that this was meant to be and somehow they find us!! Poor Charlie was full of worms, and infection from bad toe but he is worth every penny and then some! So moral of the story "they pick us".

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
condensed versions
"Where's Tom?" -everyone looks for Tom- -eventually his father noticed the window screen slightly ajar-
"He's on the roof." "OMG ARE YOU SURE HE'S ON THE ROOF?" "Yep."

"Where's Tom?" -I walk all around my apartment complex looking for him-
New neighbors show up at my door. "This your cat?" "yes! WHAT DID HE DO?!"
"He was laying on my daughter's bed like he owned the place."

"Where's Tom?" "What do you mean?" "Did you let him inside?" "What? No. Where was he last?" "Catching moths on the balcony". Boyfriend checks over the balcony. "He's downstairs in the bushes." "OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS?!"
"Yeah. I wouldn't let him catch moths outside anymore."

"Where's Tom?" "OH HA HA You'RE HILARIOUS" - As I'm trying to pull him back over the wall between our yard and the neighbor's yard. We were outside on the harness and leash, and now he's dead weight over the wall, and I'm pulling the leash like a Tug 'o War to retrieve my cat who just had the best idea he's had on a whim, on the leash and harness.

"Where's Tom?" - then he and his sissy walk back into the house, covered in dirt from boop to tail. The interior door to the garage wasn't latched, and OMG THE GARAGE DOOR IS OPEN. WHERE DID YOU TWO GO?!

And one for his sissy's posterity:
"Where's Yue?" -searches all her usual places- "She never leaves." "If I were three months old, where would I be?" She's not in the love seat. She's not in the hammock in the guinea pig pen. "There's no way..." "I dare you..."
And she's asleep in the large igloo in the pig pen.

5072781.jpg

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
I'm not very good at writing, but this was pretty funny at the time, and has become an insider joke between my UPS lady and I....

Soon after we first adopted our cat, we treated the house for bugs and had to locked him in the bathroom. Oh how he would cry to be let out, it would get so loud that you can hear it loud and clear from the front yard. We couldn't let him out for the fear of him poisoned by the fumes, so we took turns to go to the bathroom to play and talk with him. But every time we left the bathroom the wailing would start again. That afternoon, the door bell rang when I was in the bathroom with kitty. And being the only one home, I had to go get the door. I went downstairs and opened the front door to the UPS lady trying to deliver my amazon package. As I was signing off my package, we started our usual small talk about the weather and work. And then she asked how my baby was doing. Baby? What baby? I was confused for a moment before I realized she was talking about the cat who was at that moment wailing exactly like a human child! We had a good laugh when I told her it was my new kitty. Now, whenever she stops by to chat, she refers to kitty as my "Baby".

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Entry:

When we first got Juniper, she was very timid, and spent quite a lot of time hiding behind an old a/c unit stored in our closet. We encouraged her to interact, but also allowed her to hide when she wanted alone time. About the third day that we had her, I was heading to the gym and wanted to find her hiding place just to say hello and goodbye before I headed out for a bit. However, she wasn't behind the a/c or in any of her other usual hiding places, and eventually I gave up looking for her, figuring she really didn't want to be found. Lo and behold, though, when I went to change into my gym clothes, which were stored in one of those under-bed storage bins, there was a tiny gray kitten curled up in the far corner of the bin sleeping blissfully among my gym clothes. I guess we both had the gym on our minds that day, just in different ways....

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I had my last spinal surgery, I had to use a walker to get around. One day I bumped into Mingo's tail - I didn't run over it, just bumped into it. Nevertheless, Mingo let out a huge "AAAARRRgh" as if I had completely run him down. Lily, who was nearby watching this, suddenly ran over to him and started licking his face. He lowered his head and gratefully accepted her comforting.

Compassion doesn't belong to humans alone.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
ENTRY

Many years ago I lived in another city and had only Floey. She had been with me for a few months at this point. We were living in a 2 story home. One day I left for work and she was sleeping on her tree in the master bedroom. All was well. It was a sunny warm day.

When I got home I wanted to see my girl. She normally greets me at the door. But this time she was no where to be found! I went looking all over the house. Under beds. Behind furniture. I was stumped. :headscratch: She never hides. Like ever! This cat is my dogcat. She greets strangers at the door. Jumps up to sleep next to you if you sit on the couch.

I went upstairs to look one more time. Then went into my step daughter's room and notice the window open and no screen! I looked out the window. There were scratch marks on the sill. There was a lilac tree right in front of the window. I noticed a few broken smaller twigs. I was scared that she hurt herself! So I ran down stairs and out into the garage then out into the back yard.
It was fenced in so she would be safe. I looked around and didn't see her. I walked around behind the pool house and there she was walking around the back corner of the yard. She had big bugged eyed look! I picked her up and she immediately purred. I figured she must have saw a bird in the tree and pushed onto the screen until it popped off then somehow lost her balance and tumbled into the tree. I will never know what motivated her to be in the window to begin with. I never seen her in that room or that window. Silly cat scared the crap out of me! I thought she got out and ran away!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
Our Samuda angel was just a young cat. We rescued him from the streets and brought him into our multi-cat family, where he immediately fit right in. A favorite place for all the family was -- and still is -- a rattan rocking chair with very thick upholstered foam cushion. I had placed an old sweater of mine on it for cats to lounge on. This sweater was a favorite, and the personal property of, our angel Marley, who was very much a queenly cat. One day the chair was unoccupied. Up jumped Samuda, who proceeded to take one of the sleeve ends of the sweater in his mouth and make off with it to another room! I was lucky enough to have my camera handly and caught the whole act in a series of (35mm) photos. They captured what is a favorite Samuda memory of mine.

Last edited:

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
Forgive me for such a long post, but I will never forget this. Years ago, I was working on my Master's degree in Health Education. One of the courses I took for the degree was a teaching methods class, and we were required to develop a poster designed to educate our audience about a specific health topic of.our choice. I loved the creative aspect of the assignment, and I immediately knew what my poster's health topic would be. As soon as we were given the assignment, I went right to work. I put a great deal of time and effort into both the appearance of the poster and its message. I wrapped the cardboard poster in dark green contact paper and meticulously planned where the images would be placed. It took much longer than I thought it would to actually place the pictures and words on the dark green background, but I was very proud of the final product. I couldn't wait to get the poster to class, and I finished just hours before I had to take it to class. I leaned the finished poster up against my apartment's living room wall and then began to gather other items to be put into my car. Suddenly, my four month old kitten Pippen charged at my beautiful poster and with his teeth began to tear the pictures off in tiny little pieces. Horrified, I pulled Pippen away from the poster and placed him next to a toy to distract him while I attempted to repair the damage. It didn't work because Pippen quickly charged at my poster again and managed to cause even more destruction this time. I put Pippen in my bedroom, shut the door, and only let him out of the bedroom when I could get what was left of my poster into my car. Then I placed the hundreds of microscopic pieces of paper that had been my carefully placed pictures into a bag, grabbed some glue, and ran to my car while trying not to sob. While I drove to campus, my heart was pounding very hard, and I panicked as I wondered how I was going to fix my "masterpiece" in time to present it to my class and professor. The second I arrived at my classroom, I quickly spread my poor poster out on the floor and attempted to reassemble the shreds of paper into something resembling the pictures that had once graced my poster. Unfortunately, my frantic reassembly was noticed by some of my curious classmates who asked me what had happened. I told them how my kitten Pippen had shredded my pictures twice that morning and that I was freaking out because I didn't know how I would be able to fix it in time to present it. Then, one of my classmates asked me what my poster's health topic was. You can probably imagine my embarrassment when I admitted to him the topic of my poster was how pets reduce people's stress.

Last edited:

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Entry:

When we first got Juniper, she was very timid, and spent quite a lot of time hiding behind an old a/c unit stored in our closet. We encouraged her to interact, but also allowed her to hide when she wanted alone time. About the third day that we had her, I was heading to the gym and wanted to find her hiding place just to say hello and goodbye before I headed out for a bit. However, she wasn't behind the a/c or in any of her other usual hiding places, and eventually I gave up looking for her, figuring she really didn't want to be found. Lo and behold, though, when I went to change into my gym clothes, which were stored in one of those under-bed storage bins, there was a tiny gray kitten curled up in the far corner of the bin sleeping blissfully among my gym clothes. I guess we both had the gym on our minds that day, just in different ways....
So sweet!