Shampooed carpet, urine smell everywhere

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cleaned a cat urine stain in a room corner. I've tried everything, the stain went away immediately, the smell is worse and the area is getting wider. I guess it was a lot more than it seemed and everytime it dried it wicked further out.
In order, 2 days dry time between each tried: Enzyme solution w/brush , dish detergent with spit cleaner, vinigar with spot cleaner, carpet shampoo w/full shampooer, enritire room with pet urine carpet shampoo + oxy boost. This morning I mixed 1/4 gal enzyme solution with 3/4 gal water, sprayed the entire floor with it.

Before I dump a few pounds of baking soda on the floor, should I try anything else?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this on carpet? What’s under the carpet?
Thick textured carpet (that the 1" yarn fibers twisted tightly at the base), carpet is over a moisture resistant carpet pad, then hard wood (w/poly coating). The pee got deeper than it should have but didnt reach the under pad

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Based on what all you have tried, I am thinking your best bet is to have the carpet professionally cleaned with a steam cleaner and whatever urine removal product they use. If you are willing to use a steam cleaner yourself, you could try calling around and see what the professionals use for urine removal - that is, assuming they are willing to share that information with you. You could also do an internet search on steam cleaning and suggested products to use in conjunction with it.

I am curious - how do you know the under pad isn't affected? Did you pull up the carpeting? It actually doesn't take much pee to soak through to those pads. And, if you do choose to go with a professional, be sure to let them know it might have gone through to the under pad, if you are not absolutely sure it didn't.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bucket full of hot water with whatever you want to mix with it for a detergent/soap/cleaner. And a scrub brush.
Basically saturate a few feet outward from the corner, and scrub. Vacuum, Vacuum, and Vacuum more with a wet/dry shop vac.
Then scrub dry with several towels. Put a fan on it to keep air moving across it.
Don't let the cat back to that area and the smell will go away after a while. Couple of weeks...

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do a search for urine smell remover on Amazon there are a lot of things available. I have used the citrus magic stuff but it sounds like your problem is beyond that.
Here is one that looks promising. ------ Or not, the link is not showing up.

here is the name ----
AmazonCommercial Multi-Purpose Enzyme Cleaner, 1-Gallon,

One thing for certain is you need suck out whatever water solution you use. As mentioned a wet dry shop vac could work for a spot.
You can also rent a carpet cleaning machine and clean the entire thing. Rug Doctor used to make good rental machines but I don't know of they do anymore.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Based on what all you have tried, I am thinking your best bet is to have the carpet professionally cleaned with a steam cleaner and whatever urine removal product they use. If you are willing to use a steam cleaner yourself, you could try calling around and see what the professionals use for urine removal - that is, assuming they are willing to share that information with you. You could also do an internet search on steam cleaning and suggested products to use in conjunction with it.

I am curious - how do you know the under pad isn't affected? Did you pull up the carpeting? It actually doesn't take much pee to soak through to those pads. And, if you do choose to go with a professional, be sure to let them know it might have gone through to the under pad, if you are not absolutely sure it didn't.
One step ahead of you with the professionals, they said a pro cleaning could help but no guarantees "the only way to completely get rid of set in pet urine is to replace the carpet"

AFAIK steam is the only thing that shouldn't be used to get urine out of carpet, it heat bakes in the salts.

I blacked out the windows, peeled up the carpet, used black lights. A fresh stain shows up as "traffic cone orange" under black light. I have a barley visible orange hue. The surface is clean but the glow start a few mm from the top and goes half way down the fibers. Its like this all along the wall. and like a camo pattern going several feet from that wall.. The bottoms of the fibers, underside of the carpet and the pad don't have any glow. (carpet padding is really cheap and easy to replace)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bucket full of hot water with whatever you want to mix with it for a detergent/soap/cleaner. And a scrub brush.
Basically saturate a few feet outward from the corner, and scrub. Vacuum, Vacuum, and Vacuum more with a wet/dry shop vac.
Then scrub dry with several towels. Put a fan on it to keep air moving across it.
Don't let the cat back to that area and the smell will go away after a while. Couple of weeks...

Soak it to the base?

I don't know what specific thing I did to spread it everywhere. I've cleaned this cats urine from 100's of surfaces, this is the first time this happened.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard that cleaners can also create a glow in most black lights. Could at least some of what you see be from all of the cleaners you've tried? You could try what I have used before - Vetoquinol "The Equalizer" which doesn't require saturating the carpet, hence less drying time. It might take more than one application for a dry, older stain.

Is this a new cat? Does his urine (when he does pee in the litter box) smell strong? It might be concentrated compared to your older cat. If it is the same cat, but older, it could it be that he has some sort of kidney issue causing a change in the composition of his urine? Of course, at this point I am just guessing...

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soak it to the base?

I don't know what specific thing I did to spread it everywhere. I've cleaned this cats urine from 100's of surfaces, this is the first time this happened.
Our little turd hoards up a gallon and then goes around to corners leaving a few ounces here and there. Then empties the majority of it in his litter box. It's that newer style stringy shaggy carpet....normal padding underneath....plywood under that. SO, wet goes all the way to the wood and absorbs. Impossible to remove.
By the time we figure out he's doing this, he's done it several times over in the same corners.
Our method is to dilute as much as possible with more water, cleaner, vinegar, baking soda, etc. (baking soda mixed with water). Once saturated and scrubbed to dilute the urine, we then vacuum a very long time with a cheap wet/dry shop vac.
And then scrub dry best we can with several large towels.
Then set up a $10 box/window fan toward it and run that blowing across it for a day or so.
He has his own room so it's not all over the house. But, when you enter his room, it ranges from knock you down rank-to-not much smell at all (or at least a fresher smell of household cleaner).
Ours is a constant battle. But after cleaning, it's fine for several weeks until he feels the need to mark his territory again.
I have taken a gallon of hot water/cleaner and DUMPED it in the "area"....Then scrubbed outward as far as it ran, as far as it would foam up. Then vacuumed for an hour. UGH!!!

Most of which we have cured lately by placing litter boxes in every corner and keeping them scooped.
Our summer project is to get rid of the carpet in exchange for something hard and waterproof. Easy to see and easy to clean.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our little turd hoards up a gallon and then goes around to corners leaving a few ounces here and there. Then empties the majority of it in his litter box. It's that newer style stringy shaggy carpet....normal padding underneath....plywood under that. SO, wet goes all the way to the wood and absorbs. Impossible to remove.
By the time we figure out he's doing this, he's done it several times over in the same corners.
Our method is to dilute as much as possible with more water, cleaner, vinegar, baking soda, etc. (baking soda mixed with water). Once saturated and scrubbed to dilute the urine, we then vacuum a very long time with a cheap wet/dry shop vac.
And then scrub dry best we can with several large towels.
Then set up a $10 box/window fan toward it and run that blowing across it for a day or so.
He has his own room so it's not all over the house. But, when you enter his room, it ranges from knock you down rank-to-not much smell at all (or at least a fresher smell of household cleaner).
Ours is a constant battle. But after cleaning, it's fine for several weeks until he feels the need to mark his territory again.
I have taken a gallon of hot water/cleaner and DUMPED it in the "area"....Then scrubbed outward as far as it ran, as far as it would foam up. Then vacuumed for an hour. UGH!!!

Most of which we have cured lately by placing litter boxes in every corner and keeping them scooped.
Our summer project is to get rid of the carpet in exchange for something hard and waterproof. Easy to see and easy to clean.
So this would be a fun and unique idea ---- pour a 1/2 inch of epoxy on the entire thing, rug included so you could see the rug but never even get close to it. It would look like a big puddle of water. For even more fun add some small fish to the mix. Yep, never have to worry about cleaning that rug again.
Another possibility would to just dump a bunch of sand and turn the room into a giant sand box. Once a year vacuum out the sand with a big shop vac and replace it with new stuff.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The ultra light works great. I bought it at Petco. It came with a spot stain remover. I used Miracle once and the carpet smelled of cleaner for a few days.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the source, one of the stains is probably 100 dried stains, the carpet, pad, hardwood underneath all have to be torn out, it looks like glue, but is crystallized urine.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gross update, last owner used nails in the wood around the wall, then pulled them out. all the wood soaked urine got in through these nail holes (probably more and each wash) if I soak the area and cover with cardboard, so it wicks upto the cardboard.. .

This is not parmasean, it's cat urine salts that wicked outof wood/rug onto cardboard. Soaking and covering the floor for 32hours with 1.5 gallons Nature miracle Cat urine destroyer. But the crystals still smell like pee. Milder, like a human baby pee not cat pee. That's what it's called "cat urine destroyer" notjust "urine destroyer" . It only destroys the aspects of urine specific to cats and =P

20200216_173555.jpg
20200216_173258.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nature miracle Cat urine destroyer. But the crystals still smell like pee. Milder, like a human baby pee not cat pee. That's what it's called "cat urine destroyer" notjust "urine destroyer" . It only destroys the aspects of urine specific to cats and =P
If you read up on Nature's Miracle, the claim is that it can be used on all kinds of stains/odors, including human ones. Personally, I have never found it to be effective in removing Feeby's urine smells, so perhaps the milder smell you are experiencing is merely a result of the Nature's Miracle working, but just not quite enough.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you read up on Nature's Miracle, the claim is that it can be used on all kinds of stains/odors, including human ones. Personally, I have never found it to be effective in removing Feeby's urine smells, so perhaps the milder smell you are experiencing is merely a result of the Nature's Miracle working, but just not quite enough.
The urine salt/crystals was beaten out of the carpet onto cardboard. I never used natures miracle products before this, Im convinced theyre so well known because its sold almost everywhere and their is 30 versions of the same thing.

This week I bought: NM Pet Stain and Order Shampoo, NM Advanced Cat Hardwood cleaner, and NM Urine destroyer. Poured some of each on the different urine salt covered peices of card board had the same effect... weaker smell.

I had a little bit of Trinova enzyme cleaner, worked the same as NM, less smell overall becuase the don't add a ton of fragrences like natures miracle.

Not ironically Fabreeze pet odor remover is the worst product I have, urine smell stays exactly the same, but theres also a much stronger artificial lavender fragrance mixed in.

I have yet to find anything that works noticeable better than seperate washes with peroxide then vinegar.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By pure accident I discovered a window cleaner killed the urine smell.
My cat occasionally misses the litter tray and pees over the edge.
Spray and wipe the area with the window cleaner and no smell.
An Aussie brand called Windex.
I wouldnt use it on rugs or anything cloth but wood floors and walls works well.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can use bleach on wood. Unlike cloth like cotton which will get holes eaten through it bleach will not physically damage the wood. It will take the color out of it though but since the wood you are talking about is not for a finished floor it won't matter. Bleach solutions are used on hardwood floors that have been flood damaged. It removes the swamp smell and takes out the black staining left from putrid flood water. However on a finished floor the finish needs to be redone after it is treated. So you could use a bleach solution to soak the wood but you need to not get it on other things that might be damaged like the carpet. And one nice thing about bleach is it's inexpensive and easy to get.
Bleach is used in woodworking sometimes to lighten the color of wood so it can be matched to other woods. It is the opposite of staining.