Shamed On Fb For Feeding Ff Purely

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just take a deep breathe and try to remember that no matter how imperfect my care might be my cat is better off eating junkfood fancy feast gravy lovers (with it’s evil food dye) over what he would be eating as a feral kitty on the streets. Also like kids, sometimes you just buy them McDonalds. ;)

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt be too concerned what others say. They aren't medical professionals. I asked around different vets and one of the companies they always pointed to Purina Pro plan.
You'll have people saying that Raw feeding, or grain free, or a particular brand is best. I dont think there is one right answer or I wouldn't hear so many differing opinions.
Also, I have a 21 year old cat that was fed crap food till I came into her life 6 years ago. So, I wouldnt get too hung up on it. Just make sure it's from a reputable company and not a 'trend' diet. Too many people put these trend diets out on the market with little research and its cause many fatal diseases.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for adopting this adult female, when most people prefer kittens. :) You have a good heart.

Do not mind what others are saying. Some humans have this ability to find fault in others. I guess these are the saddest, loneliest people in this planet.

I also feed my cats FF, and a lot of other brands as well as they tend to get picky when I keep feeding the same all over again. I admit I have stopped reading the ingredients for a long time already. I hope it also does not make me a bad cat mama to some people.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for adopting this adult female, when most people prefer kittens. :) You have a good heart.

Do not mind what others are saying. Some humans have this ability to find fault in others. I guess these are the saddest, loneliest people in this planet.

I also feed my cats FF, and a lot of other brands as well as they tend to get picky when I keep feeding the same all over again. I admit I have stopped reading the ingredients for a long time already. I hope it also does not make me a bad cat mama to some people.
The main reason I read labels is because my cat vehemently refuses to eat any food with any fish except salmon. Anything with "fish" she just will not touch. So I'm not in there checking for any of the other stuff people tend to look for, I'm just making sure I'm not wasting my money :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep. Well, except that by-products aren't supposed to contain more than an "incidental" amount of feathers, but everything else, yep. Cats eat the whole animal; there's nothing wrong with by-products. Now, many people avoid "by-product meal" in a dry food, because meals can be made with 4-D animals (dead, dying, diseased, down), and that just seems squicky, but, hey, I've seen cats eat roadkill too so I guess they're not too picky.

What kind of group was it? If it was some kind of all-natural sort of group, well, you have to know your audience. And remember, everybody has opinions and some stink more than others ;). So, look at what they say to see if there's anything to it, and if not, ignore it.

That's one problem with the internet---you get everybody's opinions, all the time. Before the internet, you only knew the opinions of your closest friends and whoever cared enough to talk on TV or publish an article you read somewhere. So our brains still haven't adapted.

You are so right about that. It was a Cornish Rex breed specific group.

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the welcome, I am happy to be her mom and happy to get to share her with all of you guys.

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast is one of the best foods in its price range, and it is easy to obtain. I've fed everything in your list to my cats without hesitation. The only reason I don't feed fancy feast right now is because my kitty decided she no longer likes it :(

Does your cat like it? Do they do well on it? Are you able to afford it?

Those are the main things to focus on. YES, ideal food for most cats is wet, high protein, moderate fat, and low carb, but if the first three things aren't satisfied, then the food is pointless!
She LOVES it, the chicken shreds and the tuna shreds. She vomits pate of most kinds that we have tried.

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Hello and I’m sorry someone was rude to you on FB about taking care of your baby!

My last cat passed and he was a little dry food junkie who only ate half a can of wet food once a day. So when I got a kitten I wanted to do right by him and feed him mainly wet food. Unfortunately the little twerp are some of the adult cats fancy feast tuna and then refused his RoyalCanine kitten food! I struggled to find a healthy-ish brand he would eat .... preferably without fish in it every day! He lives the Sheba perfect portions so it is what I feed him, along with some gravy lover’s fancy feast, my best friend variety pouches and friskies lil soup which is like kitty ice cream! He also gets Taste of the Wild in Salmon/Trout but he eats at most 1/4 cup a day of dry. Not counting dry food he costs me at least $70 a month in wet food .... if I fed him dry only he would cost me 35$ a month.

Everyone has different budgets and views. So whatever you choose is fine. I feed my boy wet food because I figured the cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food. Cats are carnivores and meant to eat meat not corn, wheat or potatoes. However I have known many cats that have lived very long lived on science diet. So please whatever you choose don’t feel guilty. By keeping your cat indoors (& with regular vet care) you are vastly extending their lives no matter what you feed them!
I will have to look for TOTW! My doggies loved that food, so she may too!

GrayCatCottage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don’t feel bad about feeding your fur baby FF. One of our kitties was a fussy eater when it came to wet food. She would only eat one of the brands (can’t remember the name) that was mostly turkey and brown rice, and FF. At the age of 18 she was diagnosed with first stage kidney disease. With our vet’s help we tried all kinds of special KD diets (wet and dry) and she refused them ALL! Finally we went back to FF and the vet told us it’s really not that bad (at that time she said they used “human consumption grade” ingredients). Well, our girl lived to be 21 years old! And bless her heart, she enjoyed her FF right up till she crossed the Rainbow Bridge!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat lived to be 23 years old and ate the dry food and Friskies, Meow Mix all her life. And having for 23 years is a long life for her.
- Yes same here . Mom had cats on that exact diet live over 20 years. However I now avoid the " mostly corn " dry food and look for meat as the first 2/3 ingredients.
( glad I never visit Facebook or MySpace )

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted an adult female a couple weeks ago who was mostly fed dry, so we thought we'd start to slowly incorporate in some wet food for her to try. I have bought the Tiny Tiger, Blue Buffalo, and Fancy Feast Purely. She tried the FF last night and LOVED it. I posted on a FB group and got shamed for feeding this food. It's first ingredient is meat and it has no fillers or by-products, so I thought it wasn't a bad food. I admit being new to owning a feline, and am very open to constructive criticism, but felt kinda awful for giving her this food after the comment that was made about it being junk. :sigh: What are your opinions?
Actually those FB people are wrong. Fancy Feast, even the older variety, particularly the classic brand, is still what I call "worst of the best", meaning the classic is not ideal, but it is made with VERY FEW carbs. And they use no gluten at all. When my cat had large cell lymphoma, his vet at the time, Dr. Barb Royal, who is published and very well known (she treated oprah's dogs here in chicago) had FF classic brand on her list of acceptable foods. IDK if it is still on her list, but brands like FF which, use GF carbs like rice or potato, are not as bad. Also again, small quantities.
What I do now is to buy a combination of very high quality foods and mix them with fancy feast classic and fancy feast broths. I do this because my cats are finicky and a lot of the higher quality foods don't appeal to them as much.

In the area of all cat foods, my vet said to just be careful and find out where it is sourced from. She told me to throw out the blue buffalo dry food bc at the time (several years back) they were sourcing the ingredients from China where there was no quality control and all kinds of stuff can get thrown into the food. (i have no specific issue w China, she just said make sure wherever it comes from has good QA).

Here is a link to FF classic analysis, from a good analytical source for cat food. I think ur doing fine. Be sure that whatever food you buy has Taurine, necessary for kitties. A few of the FF tub foods used to not contain taurine, and were listed as treats or appetizers, meaning they were not for a main diet.
Fancy Feast Classic Salmon & Shrimp Gourmet Cat Food Review

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found that what my cats like the best is anything I put on a plate for me. "Can I have some, please!!!!!" "But cats don't eat lettuce". "Yes I will !!!!" "How about if I just lick it for a while"?
"This is an orange, you hate oranges." "Let me try anyway, PLEASE" ---- YUCK, WHY do you eat stuff like that." "Now I gotta go barf"
Then they bring in a dead mouse to share with me and are crest fallen when I don't have a bite.

There have been some foods that my cats won't eat. ShopKo brand was one of them, but now that they are gone that is not an issue. I still buy a lot from Walmart because it's reasonable in price and guess what? The cats like it and seldom barf it up. I am always trying different stuff, mixing it together in the food bin, adding new flavors, but it all ends up the same -- Nobody is dying from it and everybody is content to eat it. It really is a lot easier than feeding children.

Back when I had chickens we fed them what are called "screenings". When the grain elevators get in some stuff that has a lot of junk in it they screen it. They run it through a fine screen that sifts out weed seeds and dead grasshoppers and all the other stuff that sometimes gets picked up in a field. They sell that as Screenings. The chickens did fantastic on it because it was a mix of everything. Animals that are raised on just one food source often don't do as well as others. Well then there are Pandas that eat only bamboo and Kola's that eat only leaves from Eucalyptus trees so there are exceptions. Cats eat lots of things including bugs. So do people, including bugs sometimes.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that what my cats like the best is anything I put on a plate for me. "Can I have some, please!!!!!" "But cats don't eat lettuce". "Yes I will !!!!" "How about if I just lick it for a while"?
"This is an orange, you hate oranges." "Let me try anyway, PLEASE" ---- YUCK, WHY do you eat stuff like that." "Now I gotta go barf"
Then they bring in a dead mouse to share with me and are crest fallen when I don't have a bite.
:yummy:´´

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
Ummm... I feed my kitties Fancy Feast. And I'm still feeding them Purina Naturals Original, on a timed basis with the timed feeders I bought right before last Christmas. Smaller portions of that, in order to feed more wet food. I feed the wet food twice a day. I have fed them Friskies Pate' foods, too. They like the FF better and the smaller cans don't have leftover waste to scrape off the plates and throw away later. I haven't tried other brands because I am still researching what may be worth my money and time. I feel like throwing away excess food or food they don't eat is a waste of money, and the time it takes to shop for it. I know I will probably not progress to prepping raw food because of me, not my cats. I don't think they would eat it, but who knows?
As for the articles, web pages, forums, etc. that I have been reading I am impressed with the time and effort others have so generously shared and I have so much appreciation for their time! This is why I'm feeding more wet food and researching myself! I will say this, however... I have been around cats all of my life and I am a senior citizen now. Growing up our cats were all outdoors. Fed dry kibble. Drank from ponds and buckets. They hunted whatever the Arizona desert had to offer. I personally have never seen a cat take down a grown chicken, goose, duck, turkey or cow. As I have said, Arizona desert, so no, I have not seen a cat catch a fish either. I will say that I had a large white male cat that brought home a full grown jack rabbit, dragging it between his legs. Like a puma might drag a deer. I was impressed! It was still warm, because I had to touch it to see for myself. And I have seen cats with ground squirrels, mice, bugs of sorts, snakes and birds with every intention of eating those things. I have known queens to add baby bunnies to their brood of kittens. So, other than Nola catching a chubby lizard and placing it in her food bowl, then staring at it willing it to share her crunchies, (then watching me return her friend outside, because I don't want a lizard to feed) I am of the mind that I am willing to feed my kitties can food varieties as long as they actually eat these varieties and look shiny, sparkly-eyed, with good energy for their age and are willing to continue to have me as their bestie-person! Before Jojo, we had a kitty named Jasper (who lived to be 18), on the same kind of diet they have, with the exceptions of what he hunted in the desert added in. He was and in&outdoor cat. The fur-girls are indoor cats. (except and little patio time). I am just saying that the things people call natural cat foods in stores, are not natural for cats that are the house pet variety, whatever their pedigree. So, we do the best we can with our intentions and enjoy that our companions love what we do for them. I was the first person in my family that got all my pets spayed and neutered. So, I think I'm doing pretty good and willing to do better! The fact that people share and encourage each other here is why I am happy I found this web site! Thank you everyone for supporting everyone! Critics, well whatever. Lead them to this post, I can ignore them like any other bully.

Last edited: