Shall I let my indoor cat go outside ?

KirsteenJ1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I adopted my lovely Bella who ia 1 year and half, she’s been with me for 3 months now. Shes a petite little lady 6pounds, has been a indoor cat at her previous home. I’ve noticed she doesn’t seem to jump very high, her legs are on the shorter side, she isn’t a munchkin breed, her legs aren’t as small as these breeds. My concern is do I allow her to go outside? I live in a quiet culdesak and near enough every neighbour has a cat. I’ve two small children who come the better weather will be out in the garden. I’m just unsure how to approach the situation. She is happy indoors, she has a cat tree, scratching posts, lost of hiding places but i feel sad for her stuck in, I would like to let her outside with us supervised to start with. What are your ideas please share ?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS! Was it my decision, Bella would stay indoors, unless you had her on a leash for her protection. Our cats were ferals, adopted at various ages, and have adapted well to indoor living. There are too many dangers at large to risk their safety, or Bella's. By the way, there is a New Cats on the Block forum where you can introduce yourself, and we love pictures (hint, hint)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend letting her out. She is, as you said, happy indoors and that is the safest place for her. Even in the quietest of neighborhoods there are hazards like cars and predators as well as the potential to pick up fleas and communicable diseases from other cats. And cats who are allowed to go outdoors have statistically shorter lives. Instead put up some bird feeders and watering dishes and let her enjoy watching birds and critters thru the window.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
As a person who takes care of outdoor kitties, I can tell you that it is much safer to keep your cat as an indoor kitty. I have seen some truly heartbreaking things that concrete my belief it is best to keep cats indoors. Here are just some of the dangers out there: Getting hit by car, Get viciously attacked/killed by predators, get poisoned whether intentionally or not, get attacked by cruel people, get trapped and taken to Animal Control or dumped somewhere, and finally--getting lost. These are some of the reasons you should not ever let your cat out. If you absolutely want your cat experience the outdoors then you could put a harness and leash on her and take her out. Another option is a enclosure or catio where your cat is behind a mesh fence safe from outside dangers. There are also these portable little cat play area/mini enclosure that you can use.

As mentioned it is safer for the cats to stay indoors. The last reason I will give you are parasitic, fungal, bacterial, and viral infections that your cat can be exposed to. Yes, vaccinations does help, but there are no guarantees your cat will not get infected by something out there. Don't risk it. You will have peace of mind if you keep her indoors or use some of the other options mentioned above. Best of luck to you.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KirsteenJ1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone you’ve been really helpful. It’s just when I see the other neighbour cats outside I feel sad for her. But they are much bigger and she really in petite. I’ve got two kids 5 and 2, which at the moment she’s a little scared of, when they are being quiet she will creep downstairs and when they are not there ( mainly at night) she will come down to play. To be fair she’s not a big fan of playing though (weird) she likes to play with string if I drag it a cross the floor. She’s quite a laid back cat, that’s why I was wondering if she is craving the outdoors. I think I will give harness training a go, maybe get a cat pen or one of those lead which you goes into ground and she can walk around the garden.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KirsteenJ1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just think I should at least introduce her to outside there patio doors in the garden as kids will be in and out come the spring/summer. Hoping due to her timid nature she won’t want to roam free.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While you're harness training, you can always bring a bit of the outdoors, inside. Give her a real piece of a tree for a scratching post, let her play in a box of leaves or bite on a stick (all while being monitored, of course). This will give her a bunch of outside scents and activities, all while safely inside.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you live in a house with a yard, a catio may be the way to go. They come in all sizes and shapes, and a BIG variety of prices, depending on whether you have a handyman in your home or not.