Shaking head

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I am working with my vet and the vet dermatologist but I was wondering if anyone's cat shakes there head quite a bit throughout the day and if its just normal or if I am thinking too much into it. (Just looking for some opinions or someone who had a similar experience).

10/27/20207:05 AMAfter eating
9:19 AMPlaying
9:37 AMAfter using Liter
9:50 AMCleaning ears with medication and wiping with cotton ball (dirty)
10:27 AMAfter eating
1:05 PMAfter nap
4:33 PMAfter nap
4:40 PMAfter eating
5:12 PMN/A
7:22 PMAfter applying Antihistamine
7:45 PMPlaying (Also noticed ear twitching)
7:58 PMScratching ear, but location was where medication was applied
8:55 PMN/A

Currently on Antihistamine which doesn't help with head shaking but may be helping with scratching, weekly ear wash, and also on Royal Canin prescription diet food which is truly when I believe this all started, so I would say the head shaking has been going on for almost two years and he has a clean bill of health.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver used to do it all the time for a long time, currently he does not do it as much anymore.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Burts Burts what was the cause or it did you have any tests done?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista shook her head when I fed her foods she was allergic to. Her ear would fill up with "stuffiness" that sounded like a wet flapping when she shook her head. I used to consider her ear her "allergen radar." When she was shaking her head and scratching at that ear, I would consider what I was feeding and try to eliminate the allergen--in her case, chicken and fish.

Sometimes I would treat the ear by brewing a cup of chamomile tea, allowing it to cool, adding a spoonful of apple cider vinegar, soaking a cotton ball in this "ear tea", and dropping a few drops into the affected ear by squishing the cotton ball against the upper inner ear and letting her shake it in herself.

Mostly though, I knew there was a food trigger and looked to eliminate it. If you think all of this started when he started on the prescription food, can you try him on a different food? If he'll eat it, I recommend Rawz Rabbit pate. It's expensive and hard to find. But he likely hasn't had rabbit before and that particular recipe is only rabbit and no other proteins.
96% Rabbit PÂTÉ | RAWZ

You can also try the other flavors they have. I believe Rawz is the best for food allergies because their recipes are mostly single protein. The only exceptions are clearly labeled such as Chicken and Herring or Turkey and Salmon where you know there's more than one protein because the label says so. You won't be surprised to find a protein you weren't expecting in the ingredients. Rawz will send you samples if you ask them so you won't be on the hook for a case of an unknown food.

You'll also want to change his treats. Meat-based freeze dried treats can be found in just about any protein. If you try him on rabbit, you can find freeze-dried rabbit meat treats to be consistent.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 his ears are a bit dirty giving him the wash once a week. He is in Royal canin prescription food. I always wondered if it is something the prescription food but then why would it be if it's prescription?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 his ears are a bit dirty giving him the wash once a week. He is in Royal canin prescription food. I always wondered if it is something the prescription food but then why would it be if it's prescription?
Prescription food isn't all it's made out to be. You don't have to feed him prescription food if it isn't working out for him.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting about the allergy. I wonder if this is what is going on with my Sophie. I’ve seen her shake her head a few times and paw at her mouth a couple times which makes me worry she needs dental work. But I have been trying out different wet foods so maybe it’s allergy for her too. We’ve narrowed it down to a couple winners in their books, so hopefully no more problems but of course will take her to the vet if it continues.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it had something to do with allergies, he hardly been doing it now, in fact i forgot he used to do it so often until i seen this post...He was doing it a lot during summer and he has clen ears

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I shared the logs with my vet and he suggested based on how often he is shaking his head, and what activity he is doing prior, he suggested it could be dental related. So basically, a very shortly after he eats, he shakes his head. I also ran the idea by my vet dermatologist as well and he also agreed it is a good idea. He wasn't 100% convinced the head shaking is indeed an allergy.

Vet isn't 100% sure, but he thinks it could be a good start and worst comes to worst he has clean teeth which is important.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 yes, they will do the X-rays of the mouth and he also said the bulla which he is knocked out, and then clean his teeth.

His ears are filthy, so I have been cleaning them once a week with noticeable debris. Getting better each time, so the first 3 times I did it, I would say I didn't do a great job, but the last two were good.

I am going to keep a new log of head shaking to see if it has anything to do with his ears.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old girl who was in health crises is doing it and shes 19. her 3 yr old super healthy buddy just did it as I type. Just a quick one shake.
Poor old girl was so weak she would lose balance and almost fall over when she shook.
My boycat at 15 doesnt do it at all. And he has the worst breath of the 3.
Prescription food not being all its cracked up to be is understatement of the year.
We can ask 5 vets what they think is cause, and we can get 5 different answers.
"The only exceptions are clearly labeled such as Chicken and Herring or Turkey and Salmon "
BEWARE BEWARE of salmon in pet foods as nothing more toxic than farmed salmon. I've watched many videos and documentaries on this and once you see what they spray over the crowded pens with white hazard suits and respirators you will no longer feed cats or yourself farmed salmon. Also it made me sick to see underwater shots of these poor sick fish. Farmed salmon from Norway is said to be the most toxic food we or our pets can eat.
ALL Atlantic salmon is farmed. Alexandra Morton up in B.C. has devoted her life to educate us on this.
Vet said my ole girls teeth and mouth look fine and he "popped" off some tarter caps that form on teeth. My Dad did that for dogs with his fingernail. Mine want me out of their mouths.Will ask my two vets this morn what they think about head shaking.
My boycat ran into something here chasing the crazy calico full speed prob 20 mph and then shook his head a few times. Pain related? Someone PLEASE invent a kitty "pain o meter"

Last edited: