Shadow

Mainer

Salem
Kitten
Purraise
Made the painful decision to euthanize my 10 year old sweetheart Shadow on 9/14. So unexpected. He and his littermate brother Velvet went to the vet for routine exams and a distemper. First time with this vet. Shadow went into respiratory distress and had to be rused to urgent care. Sadly xrays showed what the vet suspected could have been cancer. Previous vet diagnosed him as having a mild case of asthma because he coughed and wheezed from time to time. I am afraid that diagnosis may have been wrong. He showed no signs of illness whatsoever. I was and still am beside myself with misgivings and doubt. Vet said she would give him 3-6 months at best and that to send him home would have been inhumane. At the time I thought it the best for him. I miss him every minute of every day and his brother does too. This past Sunday I brought home a young black cat and call him Salem. What a sweet boy he is a cuddle bug and a kisser. Velvet was not amused hissing and growling and hiding under the bed but is slowly coming around to the new member of the household. He is on special diet due to stones he had several years back and kitten is on different food. The challenge is to feed them separately and make sure they don't eat each other's food. Velvet is still not himself and neither am I. I understand that grieving takes on different manifestations but my heart breaks with every day and memory I have of him. Wish he were home awaiting me to walk in. Every muscle and nerve in my body aches. His ashes paw prints and photos are a reminder of the sweet boy he will always be in my heart and memories. I miss you awful Shadow my love xoxo :sigh::sniffle:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss It's always a horrible decision to make but please remember you did what was best for your boy. Give velvet and yourself time, Try to remember the good things about your boy. I'm sure salem will win velvet over he will probably become that annoying little brother in time. My thoughts are with you R.I.P. shadow. :alright:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, you did what you could do with the information that you had at the time, but it is so so hard to deal with. And you have a lot now with the new one, that in itself is a lot to deal with but even more so on top of this loss. Hang in there, things will settle down with time, but it will take time....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The decision to put down a pet is one of the most difficult, heartbreaking things a human can do in this life. You did the best you could with the information that you were given. A person can not do any more than that.

I am sorry that you lost Shadow. Ten years is not long enough, however ten more would not be long enough either. Time is a wicked old enemy...one we just can't seem beat.

Rest peacefully Shadow. You left your little paw prints all over your humans heart, and they will never be erased.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Immerse yourself in those two little ones that are home with you. They can provide a welcome distraction from your grief. Your pain is a personal one, a soul shattering deep pain that takes a long time to subside. It is something you learn to live with, and in time will be manageable.
Your precious Shadow will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers,send those of happiness in life, not sadness and tears. He would never want this for the one he loves so very much, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go. "Death cannot take that which never dies", your love for him is eternal.
It is common to have second thoughts and misgivings about what happened at his end. It is a part of grieving. Do not let his end, and the pain it brought, define who he was. That can never be. He was well loved and is at peace, I hope your precious memories of happier times bring you comfort.
I will hold you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please immerse yoruself in the joys of living. It is as he would want.......RIP beautiful Shadow. You will be dearly missed but will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Shadow. Making a decision like that is so hard to do. You did what you thought was best for your sweet boy, to keep him from pain and suffering. RIP, little boy. :rbheart: I'm so glad you have Velvet and Salem to help you through this. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Shadow, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a mercy, to have the gate between This Adventure and the Next Great Adventure opened with love before life becomes nothing but pain and misery! And now he is in a place where All Things are Known, and he blesses you for your generosity in not allowing him a slow decline into that pain and misery. And his love for you, now translated and purified into Love, remains with you always.