Sevin (Insecticide) Safety By Cats

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, the guy came today and thinks there is a nest in the fireplace/chimney, but because it is hard to tell where they are, he proposed leaving a small, 1 tsp amount of Sevin powder in the fireplace for the yellow jackets to step in. The powder should kill them, but it can take hours to work once they have stepped in it. Obviously, I'm still having an issue with the yellow jackets getting out of the fireplace despite tape and stuffing paper into crevices as they push the paper out of the way. My worry is the insects will get in the powder and escape, which will expose my cats to the Sevin, and maybe even try to eat the insects with it on them...

My vet is not in the office today, and is supposed to be calling me tomorrow but no one could tell me what time. The guy may be coming tomorrow or the next day, I'm not sure.

I just don't want to put my babies in danger and would like to hear what people know about it and if it is a danger if my cats ingest a bug. And if that should be a concern for me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not a good choice at all. Even small doses of exposure can cause undesirable personality change in mammals. There is also the risk of birds ingesting contaminated dead wasps. There are agents that ruin an insects exoskeleton but are much less harmful to mammals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not a good choice at all. Even small doses of exposure can cause undesirable personality change in mammals. There is also the risk of birds ingesting contaminated dead wasps. There are agents that ruin an insects exoskeleton but are much less harmful to mammals.
Thank you. The guy told me it would be fine and he would be more worried about them stinging my cats. He was saying I did a good job and they won't be able to get out, which total BS because they keep coming out and at least 20 more got out after he left. I researched this more and provided the info to my mom. I kept telling my mom we can't just trust him blindly, he is here to sell a service and get us to say yes so we can pay him. It didn't feel right the way he was minimizing my concerns trying to make me feel better.

Ask the company you are using about traps to hang inside the chimney. The traps typically will contain sugary liquids (or, sometimes meats, but mostly in the spring time) - as that is a big draw for yellow jackets - and a selective poison that kills them quickly.
Thank you. I will. He told us there was only 2 options, which is why I'm looking for better answers to be safe with my cats. Looks like I can make a sugary trap with vinegar and dish soap myself and place in the fireplace, which is supposed to work to trap them. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you cover the fireplace entrance?
My mom was hesitant to let me use silicone sealant because she thought it was hard to get off. I tried tape and stuffing paper in, but the yellow jackets would push the paper to get out... they are so strong! Last week, I pulled out something I had used silicone sealant on and my mom agreed to let me use it once she saw how easy it was to pull off in one piece. There was only 1 yellow jacket so far that was found, but may have already escaped prior to the sealant being added. No more since! despite seeing a couple in the fireplace.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had some serious wind last winter and I ended up covering my fireplace front with one of those hard cardboard trifold poster boards you get at Walmart. I just used painters tape, but I wasn’t wrestling with a Yellowjacket. :)