Severe reaction to Revolution? Best flea med for allergic cat?

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old blue DLH tabby Smokey has severe itching and licking for about a week or so after I apply Revolution flea preventative. I've had him just a few months, but after each application, he's made himself bald in spots and even created sores and ulcers in his skin.

Is there a flea preventative with an active ingredient that is less likely to bother a cat who is allergic/sensitive? I know maybe I must just try a different flea med to see if the active ingredients suit Smokey better, but am hoping someone else has an allergic cat who does well on a different flea preventative, ideas? Anyone else have a cat with allergies?

Thank you so very much for your input! :)

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I unfortunately don't know of alternatives but I know there are members who use all natural remedies that might help and are safe for kitties.

I will let them comment as they have much more experience, but just wanted to let you know there are options. :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the active ingredient or it could be the carrier.  There are several other effective drop-ons - Frontline is one - and the active ingredient varies slightly.

However Revolution treats some worms as well so you would need to cover that aspect if you switch flea treatment.  In the UK Milbemax is a good wormer - it treats all the worms we get here, plus it's a tiny pill unlike Drontal that is huge compare to a cat.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats who lost hair/got a sore at site of application do just fine on advantage.  Frontline never gave me an issue except flea control wasn't as good but think it is alot to do with location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much for your input, to all who are commenting. I really just want to find one preventative treatment which will not make Smokey itch. He's the friendliest, sweetest boy! Thank you so much for trying to help me help him. Does anyone here have a cat who is sensitive or has allergies? Which product do you use? Thank you so much!

Kgrl2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using revolution on my cat with no hair loss or bad side effects, he has had reactions to other for meds,but so far,so good,of course he hates having it put on him and I have to sneak up on him,can smell it a mile away I swear, but really no issues, Don't ever use Bravecto, that almost killed my cat after 1 dose..