Severe Anemia, any Aranesp and Epogen with Iron Shots Experiences or Knowledge?

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking for any experiences or knowledge about Aranesp or Epogen. Also iron shots. My 18 years 7 months old baby is going through it with anemia.

Starting Epogen tomorrow or day after depending on soonest pharmacy can get it + iron shots to bring his numbers up, currently at HCT 17.

History of HIGH bp controlled now with highest dose of amlodipine.

Reading about Epogen now I’m worried to try it because my boy is eating so well, using the box on his own, purring again, etc. Vet says he will struggle on his own to get his HCT back up. I want to try something and was excited about Epogen initially, after reading more now I’m not so sure.

I found very few postings about people’s experiences w. Epogen and Arenesp here and elsewhere. A Reddit post from veterinarians urging people not to use Epogen bc of high chance of reaction. Anyone know statistics? I read pretty good Petco reviews of Epogen.

Seems Arenesp is much safer? My vet closed today but I will ask tomorrow. Any other downsides than cost for Arenesp? Anyone know approximate costs? Any experience/knowledge about iron shots?

See below for recap and history:

18.7 year old severe anemia, could this be vaccine associated Immune‐mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) or the like?

Recap: Please see previous threads but most recently gi bleed (stopped after hospitalization, fluids, meds is still on sucralfate) and severe anemia; ultrasound revealed (large) incidental tumor in liver unrelated to gi bleed.

Day 1 HCT 19, hospitalized for fluids

Day 2 HCT 16, post-fluids hospitalization

Day 5 HCT 17 after gi bleed stopped

Eating GREAT (normal plus a little more bc I’m offering more often, his regular a/d wet + water and I/d dry) since Day 1.

Most alert and less wobbly since day 5-6.

No purring day 1-5, purring day 6!

More wobbly today, day 7 but otherwise the same.
Last stool soft, formed, no blood. Using litter box on his own.

History:
Very high bp now controlled with amlodipine (had also tried semintra ); ckd; arthritis;

Reddit post urging Epogen is dangerous

Thecatsite post - member felt kitty worse off after Aranesp

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did your Vet discuss a blood transfusion? Sometimes that is done to help raise the HCT. That might eliminate the necessity of needing either of those drugs. Maybe that and iron supplements would be all that's needed :dunno:? I don't know since there are different types of anemia and presume they are treated differently. But since there is no way of knowing whether or not your little old man will have a reaction to either of these drugs, it's a "pick one" and go with it . It's quite surprising that he has such a great appetite though. That's wonderful!

I think you probably should have another discussion with your Vet (as you planned) and tell them your worries and see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input, yes it’s so wonderful he continues to enjoy his food!

I actually found that Tanya’s website has a whole section about each drug with info, costs,etc.

Until I speak with my vet tomorrow bc they’re closed this will be very helpful. In case someone else needs it please find the page here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What did you and your Vet decide on?
Thank you all for your posts. An update: my vet did the Aranesp for a couple months and at which point his numbers were totally good, holding steady, so we stopped the Aranesp completely, and now over a year later…we’re still doing good. He is getting solencia for arthritis and his amlodipine and that’s it. Just shy of 20 years old thanks to my amazing vet and clinic and cat lovers that saved his life.
If we ever get into the same situation again, I will plan to purchase the Aranesp through Walmart prescriptions as per Tanya’s website suggested. They were able to overnight just one vial for a considerably cheaper cost than Walgreens which was forcing me to buy 4 (I think) vials at a time. It was a process to get set up so for anyone viewing this that is doing the Aranesp, call Walmart as early in the day as possible so they can ensure the overnight shipping. My vets were so accommodating and allowed me to ship directly to their clinic, and store the vial with them.

Wishing anyone going through it the best.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to update your thread and to tell us the good news!