Several Questions for Cat Owners who had PU Surgery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the beginning when he was just recovering from his second blockage, I used the D mannose every day, twice a day. I did this for a month. If I were you, I would definitely give him the D mannose. It can't hurt. I then give the corn silk every single day. For 90 days, I gave 7 drops, 3x a day. I am now down to maintenance of 7 drops 2 x a day. I will do this for life. I also ordered the Charlotte's Web CBD they recommended. It has worked well too.
Since surgery too, he's had ongoing bouts of loose stool too which I think was a food sensitivity so I'm always afraid to give him anything extra. Maybe I'll start with d-mannose a few times a week with the corn silk daily, both lowest doses. I'm always afraid to do something to rock the boat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It actually wasn't e-coli in the bladder but in the opening where the PU site is, the e-coli was on the outside of the urethra because the vet believes because he's chunky bacteria is sitting in that area which is why I wipe him with medicated wipes every day. I bought d-mannose, do you use it everyday? I haven't used it in awhile because I wasn't sure if he should have that everyday or how it works.
E-coli can travel up through the urethra and into the bladder - that is how it gets there in the first place. E coli comes from feces and then is transferred from the anus to the urethra. Feeby's case is also related to lackadaisical cleaning/grooming. D-mannose is only good for helping to clear e-coli bacteria - once a problem has started, it is likely due to an infection and D-mannose will NOT cure an infection. In this case, it's purpose is to be used in a maintenance dosage process to keep from getting to where there is a problem. As far as I know it can be used daily without issue.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give Cosequin chewables as well. I only use this as I have 2 older cats that take it so I give it to the under urinary boy too. They like the taste of the chewy and it's easier than breaking open the capsule and adding to food.

I give the cornsilk in his wet food in the morning and in a small amount of baby food at night before bed.
OO didn't realize Cosequin came in chewables? He loves treats and I've read all good things about giving cats Cosequin.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
E-coli can travel up through the urethra and into the bladder - that is how it gets there in the first place. E coli comes from feces and then is transferred from the anus to the urethra. Feeby's case is also related to lackadaisical cleaning/grooming. D-mannose is only good for helping to clear e-coli bacteria - once a problem has started, it is likely due to an infection and D-mannose will NOT cure an infection. In this case, it's purpose is to be used in a maintenance dosage process to keep from getting to where there is a problem. As far as I know it can be used daily without issue.
Since surgery he's had loose stool, I think from a food sensitivity which is kinda under control at the moment (knock on wood). I'm pretty certain the loose stool led to this e-coli situation to begin with. I just think he's too chunky to reach that entire area to clean thoroughly, I upped me cleaning him back there to twice a day. I'm gonna start giving the d-mannose again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since surgery he's had loose stool, I think from a food sensitivity which is kinda under control at the moment (knock on wood). I'm pretty certain the loose stool led to this e-coli situation to begin with. I just think he's too chunky to reach that entire area to clean thoroughly, I upped me cleaning him back there to twice a day. I'm gonna start giving the d-mannose again.
Ugh.. We had this too. After the last blockage in April, he had diarrhea for almost 8 weeks. It was maddening. I tried Proviable probitic and it didn't work. I then added in S. Boullardi. I had to open the capsule and give him at least 1 full adult sized capsule for days. Some days, he needed 2 capsules. Luckily he would eat most anything so I could just add it to his food. But right after the procedure in April, I had to pill him as he wasn't eating much of anything. S. boullardi it great stuff! If needed you can open the capsules and put the contents into smaller more manageble capsules. That's a huge pain, but easier to pill that way if needed. My boy was on the S. boullardi for about 2 months. Finally the diarrhea stopped. I believe it was from the antibiotics as well as the gabapentin. It took a long time to get him regular again.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh.. We had this too. After the last blockage in April, he had diarrhea for almost 8 weeks. It was maddening. I tried Proviable probitic and it didn't work. I then added in S. Boullardi. I had to open the capsule and give him at least 1 full adult sized capsule for days. Some days, he needed 2 capsules. Luckily he would eat most anything so I could just add it to his food. But right after the procedure in April, I had to pill him as he wasn't eating much of anything. S. boullardi it great stuff! If needed you can open the capsules and put the contents into smaller more manageble capsules. That's a huge pain, but easier to pill that way if needed. My boy was on the S. boullardi for about 2 months. Finally the diarrhea stopped. I believe it was from the antibiotics as well as the gabapentin. It took a long time to get him regular again.
He came home from surgery with diarrhea from 4am-6am like clockwork every morning then I thought he was constipated because his stools became hard. Everything went back to normal, then he developed this issue where he would do one normal poop at night start to cry then in and out of the box with loose poop for most of the early morning, that has gone on for months. He's been free of that now for a few weeks with an occasional issue here and there. I think you're right about the antibiotics though, he's been on soooo many since last January its crazy. He also take Proviable every morning and that stuff does not work. I'm going to look into the S.Boullardi.