Servals

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A volunteer with plenty of relevant hands on experience would be considered for a paid position. I know people who started as volunteers at the local aquarium and now have paid positions in various direct animal care roles at the local aquarium or have found paid positions at other aquariums.Not all of them studied anything animal / biology related in college. An animal caretaker doesn't get paid much even at a well known popular zoo or similar place: Salary: Zookeeper

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That may mean that only veterinarians who are lucky enough to get a job working for a zoo or wildlife sanctuary are the only ones who would be considered for a paid position working with the animals, right?
I think most jobs that involve working with animals require a lot of volunteer work or years spent studying a relevant field in university before you get a salaried position. I worked as an unpaid groom and stable hand for 4 years just because I loved being around horses. It's worth it though. Even though you're not paid you get lots of experience and learn all kinds of things you need to know before you're in the position of being wholly responsible, financially and otherwise, for an animal. It also let's you make 100% certain that owning/working with that kind of animal is really what you want to do.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be a lot of things about this I don't really get, though, like why are we trying to discourage domestication of new species in the first place? Is it really that bad to have more options for companion animals?
I guess most humans realized they do a pretty bad job managing the Earth and the other species and how harmful it is to interfere and take the species out of their natural habitat. To me, it’s simply wrong, we’ve done enough harm in nature, and maybe it’s time to remind ourselves that harmony has better effects on this planet than playing disrespectful gods.

And quite frankly, it doesn’t seem that you truly love or admire these big cats, but rather egoistically and arrogantly want to confine them around you for your pleasure. If you really loved servals, you’d be happy for them in their natural environment.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have been told participating in various online groups, the vast majority of Servals in North America have been captive bred for many generations, so they aren't really "wild animals".
If they were raised right, from birth, by a people...they would be considered "tame", not "wild". (right meaning with the intention of raising a tame cat, and done so in the correct manner).
If done wrong, or if human intervention came AFTER they can focus their eyes? I would consider that cat to be wild.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute! Besides the size, though, what's the difference between a small wild cat and a kitten that's never had any human contact? Aren't they both somewhat difficult to manage if you don't work with them a bit?

Why is the enclosure required? Aren't things like bobcats found in the wild? People don't try to cage them, and wouldn't a wildcat be afraid of people it doesn't know anyway?

If Savannahs are outlawed in some states or if there are permits required for them, why are wolf dogs sometimes allowed without permits?

In a lot of ways, isn't the government just kind of expecting us to cowtow to other people's fear and ignorance?
Most of this correct, including that last sentence. A typical house cat can be tame, or wild. Depending on it's experiences from birth. And a wild housecat (feral) is nothing to be taken lightly.
An enclosure is not actually a requirement. It's a good idea though if you want one to have any outside time... because a non-domestic cat does not have that "home" sense. A Serval gets outside, it follows it's nose and just keeps on going. One might go so far as to say that's the main difference between domestic-vs-non domestic. (then again, lots of domestic animals have to have at least a fence to keep them around).
An enclosure is also a good way to wear one out. These cats are full of energy and need room to zoom. Lots of enrichment makes your life easier.
Too much stuff inside of a home that can harm them. They will eat anything, just like a Lab puppy. Blankets, toys, sofa's, chairs. If one digests the wrong thing and needs surgery. That means you'll have to take care of an unhappy 50 lb cat that is very well equipped to have his own way if push comes to shove.
People in general are terrified of cats like this. Mostly due to ignorance. (Example: Me and snakes). If a cat like this gets outside and wanders off...which it will...It's likely to get shot.
If it bites or scratches somebody, even in your own house...that's a death sentence for the cat. Because...it's not viewed as accepted normal. There aren't many people that haven't bled due to a dog or cat, but that's different in the minds of most EVERYBODY.
A toy poodle tabby scratches a kid because the kid was being a kid.
An bobcat serval scratches a kid because it's a ferocious wild animal.
THAT's just the way it is. And that's a whole different commitment of responsibility when it comes to exotic critters.

And no, a tame bobcat is not afraid of people. (which might be THE main difference between wild and tame).
I think it a safe assumption that most exotic cat owners get hurt during play, not due to aggression or fear or defense. If you have a serval or bobcat or similar? You will BLEED, daily for a while. It's just the way they play.... ROUGH by any standards. If the cat is upset, you probably won't get hurt because nobody's going to get that close to an unhappy bobcat.

I've had a wild one. And I have a tame one. Very little in common between the two except for appearance and food aggression. My tame one will actually not go near his food until I leave the room. He can't help the way he is around food. And it's as if he knows it, and is ashamed of it. You pass a chicken leg by his face and he'll snarl and huff.... then turn away and duck his head like he's in trouble for something. Once he bites into though? He no longer knows you. They (all bobcats) can't help it and mine acts as if he's ashamed of it.

Last edited:

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
C catlikes2

I am a wildlife rehabilitator in Texas who regularly works with Servals and hybrids. I have also worked directly with Big Cat Rescue for many years. And, I own an f2 Savannah who came from a “reputable” breeder.

I’m going to be frank - virtually everything you’ve said here has left me with the distinct impression that you should not own any type of exotic or exotic hybrid.

I could nitpick at all the specific comments, but most fall under one overarching theme - this is about you, and what you want.

Your comments do not hold in high regard the needs of the cat, or respect toward their nature. You just want a cool - or “interesting” - pet. You feel entitled to hold a wild species captive for your own entertainment, and refuse to see it any other way.

Unless you have a drastic, fundamental change in your perspective, you are frankly not suitable to take on such an animal.