Seroma At Spay Incision - Anyone With Advice?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm new to posting in TCS, but a long-time lurker in the forums ever since I adopted two kitties this year. Both were strays in my (very rural) area, which unfortunately has a huge feral / intact cat population. I got both of them fixed this week, as they were just approaching the 5-6 month mark, and I didn't want to contribute to the kitten problem here. While Mog, my male cat, is doing wonderfully with his recovery, my baby girl Toulouse (Lucy for short,) has developed a seroma at her incision site. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these things, or advice with spay complications in general.
A little (edit: a lot,) about the situation: Wednesday was the day of her spay, and the vet told me when I brought her home that she might be sedate, and lethargic for the first day or so. I was suspect because the vet had me dose both of my cats with Gabepentin before their procedures, and it had very little "sedating" effect on her that day, but was obvious with my other cat. Oh, and she was LOSING HER EVER-LOVING MIND in the carrier. That, too. Usually she is silent at the vet, appraising all outside her carrier with sharp eyes, and tons of Torti-tude. When I checked her out of the vets, she was wide-eyed, and vocal, and actively trying to get her cone off already.
So, night one was hard. She was thrashing about, hating the cone. Or maybe she just hated the effects of the anesthesia. I had done my prep work, and my husband and I are lucky enough to have the space to keep both cats separate from each other and from my dog in their own recovery rooms. Lucy's was basically empty except for her litter box, food and water dish, and a mountain of pillows which made a ramp up to her favorite chair, with her bed and blanket on it. The chair is super cushy and wedged in the corner of the room, so there's nothing for her to jump off of, since the pillows lead to the floor on both sides. STILL, she is creative, and found new and exciting ways to frighten me and my husband by thrashing around on the floor, bunny-kicking her e-collars (I had gotten a couple because we found that Mog needed both the soft cone style and the "donut" style collar at the same time until he quit trying to get them off.) She was yowling, and running into the wall, and rolling around. She was jumping around in, and EATING the paper litter pellets we were using to keep regular cat litter out of the healing insicion, even though she had food. I called the vet back and they said some cats don't like the anesthesia, and to turn down the lights and ensure she can't get at her stitches.
A very long 12 hours later, she was much calmer, and finally sleeping. Although I hadn't really slept, haha. She had eaten and used the litter box normally, and was finally tolerating her cone, so we left for work thinking she'd be fine on Thursday (last night.) When we got home, we made the rounds feeding and checking everyone, and when we got to her, we both gasped.
She had a very large lump right under her incision area, and the area itself just did not look happy. My husband and I took turns being the one who was worried, and the one who thought the other might be over-reacting. We argued about whether the lump was the size of a AA or AAA battery. Or an adult human thumb. Or a dutch fingerling potato. Lol. We also tried to take a picture of the area, but noticed that as she moved and tensed her abdominal muscles, the lump looked different. It flattened out completely sometimes. There were also a couple of red "lines" coming away from the incision, which we know is a sign of infection, in humans at least. We didn't know what to think, because on one hand, she had just been through major abdominal surgery, and we imagined some swelling to be normal. But she also had been prescribed Onsior, a NSAID, and the Vet didn't say anything about lump-level of swelling. The lines could be bruises from her earlier thrashing, and since there was no drainage, or heat, or pain at the site, we thought it was a toss up. We ultimately decided to call first thing this AM since she was basically acting normally, and skip the E-vet.
I took her in today, and the vet also gasped when she saw the lump, which had grown since last night. She palpated the area, saying that it feels like mostly fluid, but there was a harder mass near the top that she wasn't sure about. She felt that they needed to x ray the area to make sure none of the underlying layers of stitches were broken, and none of the fatty tissue was protruding, which would be serious. A frantic 15 mins where I internally berated myself for not taking her to the E-vet last night, and $250 later, they came back. Her x ray complete, they said it was just a fluid-filled seroma and would resolve on its own. They didn't want to drain it, since they said it would just fill back up, and the body should re-absorb it in time. They gave me more Gabapentin to keep her more sedated, since they think that her activity level the first night is the cause, and told me to watch for leakage or growth in the seroma.
Admittedly, I am pretty worked up at this point. I am very attached to Lucy, as I have had her since she was 4 weeks old. I found her abandoned by her mom under our house, and bottle-fed her back to health. Maybe its the sleeplessness, or the shock of thinking my baby kitten's intestines were coming out, or the constant worrying, but I just feel that it doesn't seem right to go from "she might be dying" to "its fine, it'll go away on its own" so quickly. Is a seroma really nothing to be that worried about? Is there any chance that it can be misdiagnosed in the x ray? Everything seemed to happen so quickly, and because I rushed her back there with no appmt. today, I didn't get to see my preferred vet at this clinic. Can anyone give me stories or advice on dealing with a seroma, or after-spay complication? How long does it take to go away? What, other than enlargement, should I be checking for? Or any other ideas to keep her calm during this recovery period? Thanks so much to all!

TL;DR - Kitten has seroma at spay incision after 2 days recovery, diagnosed by the vet via x ray. Anyone with advice to keep her calm / comfortable, or other people with experience on seromas?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread from several days ago shows an unusual swelling at a kitten's spay incision. They didn't use the word seroma, but this appears to be related
Incision After Being Spayed
Hope this helps
Thank you so much, foxden! It does seem to be related, since it was caused by activity. It makes me feel better to see it started to go away after a few days.

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So even though I replied on my posts I have a couple more things to say lol
So I also didn’t sleep when my baby was recovering because I was scared she was gonna go buck wild while I slept lol but anyways my vet told me that it can’t be anything dangerous unless your cat doesn’t eat or poop normal, so as long as she is eating the same and pooping fine then she should be okay, I know this might seem extreme but I had somebody tell me that they kept their cat on their carrier for about 2 weeks cause that was the only way that they would not be active so maybe you could try that if anything else fails :)
Good luck!! I know it’s easier said than done but try not to stress ❤

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:thanks:Thank you again Lilahbear. I gave her some of that sedative, and she went into the carrier on her own, so maybe I'll let her stay there while I get some sleep too, lol. She is eating / pooping normally, so that advice makes me feel better, too. You've been so helpful! Thank you, and Lilah, so much! :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: her seroma seems to be a little tiny bit bigger comparing pics the last couple days. But it looks a lot less angry, and less "firm," if that makes sense. We are keeping a close eye on it, and the Gabapentin seems to help keep her sedated, somewhat. Being able to keep her out on the sofa with us is helpful, too, as she sleeps rather than meowing at the door to her recovery room.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had a cat have a problem with a spray or neuter but I did have a problem similar to this with my boxer. When he was neutered, about two days after the surgery, his testicals swelled huge with fluid. They didn’t hurt him, they didn’t ever cause him any problems, but it was startling how much fluid built up in the empty sack. It took about three weeks for them to finally start to deflate. Now he has a bit of extra skin at the site, but no problems from the original fluid build up.

I would say as long as she’s not running a fever and her routine of eating and litter box is still the same, she’ll be alright.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had a cat have a problem with a spray or neuter but I did have a problem similar to this with my boxer. When he was neutered, about two days after the surgery, his testicals swelled huge with fluid. They didn’t hurt him, they didn’t ever cause him any problems, but it was startling how much fluid built up in the empty sack. It took about three weeks for them to finally start to deflate. Now he has a bit of extra skin at the site, but no problems from the original fluid build up.

I would say as long as she’s not running a fever and her routine of eating and litter box is still the same, she’ll be alright.
Thank you for sharing your experience weemomma. I'm glad your boxer is alright! It really is startling how large the area looks, even though it is just fluid. She's still eating and eliminating normally, so I hope she'll be fine. I saw a lot of people with seromas that started a week or longer after the procedure, so I feel better knowing yours started at the 2 day mark as well, and went away just fine.
Do you recall about how long it took for the fluid to go away? When you say he has extra skin, it's not still filled with fluid, right? Just stretched, some, is what I'm imagining.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, just stretched skin. It took about three weeks for everything to finally absorb and settle. It honestly looked as if he had never been neutered when the sack filled up. It was really startling.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
New update: so the seroma just won't stop growing. :cold: We took her back in today, and they said that she's running a fever now too. They put a pressure bandage on to help with the swelling, and gave me a course of antibiotics. I'm taking her back on Wednesday (day after tomorrow,) which would've been the normal 1 week checkup for her spay. If she's not improving by then, they want to open her back up.

This whole week has been such a roller coaster of "she's fine / she's really REALLY not fine," and I'm super worried about her. I hope everything starts improving soon! Thanks everyone for your support.

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this for a cat but I do for my dog. He had surgery to remove a small tumor and the next day it was slightly bigger.. thought it was just swelling but I took him to the vet right away and he said it was a seroma. He did not want to drain it either because he said it would most likely fill back up but it would go away on its own. He explained it as the body has extra empty space there and it is filling with fluid to compensate for the emptiness. He did take a small sample to make sure it was just fluid and did put him on an antibiotic to stop possible infection. It got bigger and bigger, like the size of a softball. Very scary because the tumor that was removed was only a little bigger than a marble, it was also on the top of his leg so when he ran it sloshed around.. so gross lol. I took him to the vet a lot that week because I was very concerned, it finally did go away but I won't lie it took nearly 1.5+ months. Due to the location, when he would lay down there would be pressure on it and a few times the fluid came spilling out of his stitches. I was terrified his stitches were going to come out.. once he healed more and after we had his stitches removed the vet recommended doing warm compresses on the area. I'm not sure if that's what helped but shortly after it certainly did shrink. Soon it was gone completely and you could never tell it was there.

Very stressful experience!! It didn't seem to bother him at all either thankfully. It just takes time, I was convinced it was never going away. Wishing you the best!!

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet also mentioned that we may have to cut him back open but that it was a double edged sword because he could develop another seroma. I did a lot of research when he had one and it's not entirely uncommon for them to take a long time to absorb, he said that if in a month he still had it we would go back in. After a month it was smaller so we just let it absorb on its own. I'm not sure if they could because it's from a spay but I wonder if they could take a sample of it? To assure you? They drained just a teeny bit to see what the fluid looked like, it looked like water with a hint of pinkish/red.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the bandage will help. I know swelling and fluid will differ from cat to cat. Here’s hoping it is something that can easily be solved!

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she starts to get better! Please keep us updated! ❤

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh. It turned out my baby DID have a break in her inner sutures, and the lump was adipose / fatty tissue filling the space. Not liquid. They tried pressure bandagaing it, and poking it and prodding it before they finally scheduled another surgery for the debridement of what they assumed was inflamed tissue. The surgical vet for the final operation said that it was due to the style of continuous sutures used in the original spay, and suggested that they give our money back (both vets work for the same company.) We will see if that happens. In the meantime, Lucy is feeling really sore from the amount of tissue they took, but is healing so much better. Her fever is going down, and her incision looks like normal healing.
I did kina make a whole new rant in the forums about it, because I am so confused and angry about the money stuff, trying to figure out if the fault really lies with the original vet or with my cat being scared / active the first night. Thanks to everyone who replied! The support I recieved really helped me get through the diagnostic phase of this mess. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so happy that you know what was wrong now! I hope that you do get your money back and that your baby recovers quick ❤❤