Serious Help Needed Please Very Desperate!!! Anyone With Cat Trapping Experience?

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is the story...my indoor only cat got out of my apartment late Sunday night 11/26/17 ...he has been spotted many times by neighbors and by us...I have been leaving food out for him and he was coming to eat it all the time but in the last 5 days has stopped...i have put out fliers, talked to all my neighbors, looked every single night...i went out at 2 am Friday 12/9 and actually saw him citting on my downstairs neighbors back patio shelf but he ran away...I caught him on camera eating the food left on my patio 12/3 and ..I am concerned as to why he has stopped eating the food im leaving out and I am leaving good stuff, tuna, sardines, canned dog food, chicken (all his favorite and things he has been eating up until 5 days ago-and i saw him three days ago) I am scared wondering why he isn't eating...I am getting a trap today (i wish so very much I had been able to get one last week when he was still coming to eat) So im asking (BEGGING actually) for real advice as to why he may not be eating, and how i can get him trapped if he isn't coming for food?
I lef this favorite blanket out, some litter, catnip, been getting up at 2 am to go look for him ...this cat was indoor only his whole life..he is very very attached to us all so i am sad he keeps running away..I live in a large complex and i have looked every where

What I really need is advice...how long is too long to keep looking and hoping he will come home? How can I trap him if he isnt motivated by food any longer
what else can i do, what times can i look what else can i do to bring him home?
Pease tell me if I am missing something....

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen him at all since 12/9? If not, in a large complex someone might have taken him in. If he isn't eating the food you are leaving him, he probably is getting handouts from neighbors.

Set the trap with his favorite foods and hope for the best. I hope he comes home soon. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Myneighbors all know we are looking for him we have fliers EVERYWHERE and they are really great...I saw him myself 12/9 hes been very elusive...I am upset about not being able to get the trap next week...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am upset about not being able to get the trap next week...
You mean upset you didn't get the trap last week? You're getting it today right?

That's the best you can do right now, I'm afraid. Just set up a trap and hope to catch him.

How long have you owned him, and have you lived at the same complex for a while? Just trying to figure out how "new" the surroundings are for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Use very stinky bait for the trap...That's a must. LOL, I'd suggest Temptations treats (aka "Kitty Crack"), but you'd trap every cat within two miles.

Don't give up. We've had cats come sauntering home very little the worse for wear after MONTHS of being gone.

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will never give up he means too much to me...I have been putting out tuna which he was eating until recently so im anxious about trapping him...

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mean upset you didn't get the trap last week? You're getting it today right?

That's the best you can do right now, I'm afraid. Just set up a trap and hope to catch him.

How long have you owned him, and have you lived at the same complex for a while? Just trying to figure out how "new" the surroundings are for him.
I've owned him all his 3 years his mom was killed right after birth and i took him in as a foster then couldn't let go
we've lived in this complex 2 years now hes never once been outside
yes i meant last week..getting th trap tonight

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right. Well, that's a good thing...he does know where home is. I bet he'll come back around for food then in the next day or two, as long as someone didn't take him inside their apartment (which they shouldn't have since you put signs up).

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All right. Well, that's a good thing...he does know where home is. I bet he'll come back around for food then in the next day or two, as long as someone didn't take him inside their apartment (which they shouldn't have since you put signs up).
I just dont knwo what else to do...i keep hearing it takes time but its been 2 weeks...im anxious to get hime home L(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it's just a waiting game now. The good news is that you have seen him in the last 3 days, so it does sound like he is staying around the apartment complex somewhere.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you possible get a trail camera to see if he is coming around to your property? I have found them very useful in figuring out who is coming around to get the food. You may have other cats or wild life eating the food.

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I AM BEYOND HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE BOB IS HOME!!!! THE TAP WORKED ON THE FIRST NIGHT I PUT IT OUT !!!!! HE'S A LITTLE BANGED U PROBABLY FROM FREAKING OUT WHEN TRAP CLOSED AND HES VERY DIRTY BUT HE IS VERY HAPPY TO SEE MOM!!!!

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!!! I am very very relieved and I think Bob is too LoL...he has settled right back into normal life but now I am making plans to get him fixed and chipped and also get him a collar with a tag just in case...I lost a cat many years ago that I adored and had for 7 years before she got jealous over my new son and I still to this day feel like I did not do enough to find her and often feel very sad that she may have been killed in a shelter because I did not know to check several shelters and I couldn't check everyday and this was before the internet..I still miss her 26 years later and wish i had known better and done more, so when Bob left I could not stop until he came home ...thank you all for your wonderful wishes and hep! Merry Christmas to you!!!!