Serious Claw Infection

kellyanna

KellysCatShelter.org
Kitten
Purraise
I have a rescue cat who has this thumb claw infection issue. I cleaned and draned his paw pad absess and scraped his dirty nails clean. There is a bit of thick pust today and he is on Clavamox 62.5mg tablets, in greenies pill pockets for 2 weeks. I pill cutter them in quarters and put in greenies pill pockets after he eats alittle like 2 oz. He also has periodontal issues. My vet will give me 45 days to pay the bill, however... I think amputating his left thumb is the best option as he also needs teeth extracted so I will ask the vet of both can be done at the same time after his bloodwork. He is suffering and lethargic. But... he is with me 1 week and 5 more weeks, and I have to crate him after because I have to move him before my mom and the dog arrive. I pulled him from a colony. I am researching. I think amputation of this claw and 1 other stump of a claw will relieve some of his pain, as it is smelly, and does not retract, and the nail does not look healthy. I just hope he is healthy enough for surgery. His name is PEANUT.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peanut baby!!

I am sending you all the VERY best wishes for a straightforward surgery and healing!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As much as I hate the thought of it, I think that you may be right. He'll be happier and far more comfortable, and not dealing with infection every minute of every day. Poor Peanut!

I'm lighting a candle for your little guy, for a safe, uneventful surgery, and a full recovery!

00LitCandle.jpeg