Serious Birth Complications (TW Death)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an avid kitten fan question from the sidelines: I see one has a collar on. Is it OK to have a collar on a kitten so young? This isn’t a judgement but just pure curiosity. Assuming the pink helps tell them apart?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an avid kitten fan question from the sidelines: I see one has a collar on. Is it OK to have a collar on a kitten so young? This isn’t a judgement but just pure curiosity. Assuming the pink helps tell them apart?
It’s not really a collar, more like a ribbon type material with velcro :) so it’s super adjustable, couldnt attach anything to it. I check it every feed and leave it pretty loose, but not loose enough to get a paw stuck. They’re nearly identical and fight for the higher weight lol every day the opposite is larger so otherwise I would not know who is who!

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and here are pictures of one of the little gentlemen grooming himself and them together with cute curious looks while exploring their new larger space. They’re officially 1 pound today!

Attachments

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay! We’re at 4.5 weeks now, their premolars have popped through and I think they’re ready to try the food mixed with milk. Does anyone have tips for weighing them? They move so much and climb out of any container I put on the kitchen scale, I can’t get an accurate weight.

They’re peeing on their own but not pooping. I’ve been stimulating them on top of their litter after feeds, but haven’t left it with them. I’m just worried they will try to munch on the pellets, they still have no interest in using it. Is litter something they figure out on their own by leaving it with them? Or should I continue to only give supervised access to it.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once they start eating soft foods, you’ll want to put them in the litter box before and after meals. Kittens usually catch on quickly.

Here are helpful links:

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once they start eating soft foods, you’ll want to put them in the litter box before and after meals. Kittens usually catch on quickly.

Here are helpful links:

Any tips for if they don’t catch on? I feel like I’ve tried everything - different bowls, spoons, syringe, hand feeding, different textured wet foods, kibble. He shakes his head and runs away. This is the runt by the way. I’ve watered it down, left it solid, done the pate mountains.

One of the kittens picked it up immediately and now confidently eats wet and dry food but I’m still bottle feeding slurry to the other one at 7.5 weeks…. starting to get frustrated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can sometimes take the runt extra time. They are just smaller and develop at their own pace. It’s not fair to compare the runt to its bigger sibling. This happens with human babies too — they do not all walk, talk, and eat at the same time as a sibling did. I know it’s frustrating, but hang in there. This kitten will likely turn the corner soon!

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can sometimes take the runt extra time. They are just smaller and develop at their own pace. It’s not fair to compare the runt to its bigger sibling. This happens with human babies too — they do not all walk, talk, and eat at the same time as a sibling did. I know it’s frustrating, but hang in there. This kitten will likely turn the corner soon!
I hope so!! As long as it’s relatively normal I don’t mind, was just getting worried. He’s a big boy now, chews and fights me on the bottles so it takes a minute to get him going. Just anxiety inducing, afraid he will stop taking bottles but still refuse the solids and starve himself... Hopefully sometime this week he will pick up, haven’t given up on trying!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He will NOT starve himself. It sounds like he’s betwixt and between. My own child (26 years old now) went through this over her “ba-ba’s” when it was time to move on.

Perhaps give him up to another week, then pull back. He may refuse to eat for a day or so, but once he’s hungry enough and realizes you’re not offering a bottle, he’ll eat.

Keep us posted and good luck!

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He will NOT starve himself. It sounds like he’s betwixt and between. My own child (26 years old now) went through this over her “ba-ba’s” when it was time to move on.

Perhaps give him up to another week, then pull back. He may refuse to eat for a day or so, but once he’s hungry enough and realizes you’re not offering a bottle, he’ll eat.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Thank you for the reassurance!! Will do ☺

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re welcome, and it’s not unusual for a runt to wean at 8 or even 9 weeks. The pregnant stray I took in had 4. One began eating her food at 5 weeks. The next 2 picked it up around 6-7 weeks. Her only daughter was last at 8-9 weeks. She just wanted mama milk.

Another trick I used was Gerber chicken or turkey baby food. They loved it and went for it like no tomorrow. After a week of that they went for kitten pate on the plate.

Your little one will get there!