September Giveaway! FREE top quality scratching post by Art, Motion & Sound

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Margret!

I will get your new scratcher shipped in 7 - 10 days, I hope your cats love it!

Eric
Thank you, Eric.  Jasmine will absolutely adore it.  I plan to put it just under the dining room window, so that she can use it (when not scratching it) to peek out at the birds and squirrels without being seen by them (not that the birds and squirrels ever notice her anyway, but we don't tell her that).  Also, Jasmine has already expressed the opinion that there should be at least  two scratching posts in every room, preferably three.

Congrats @margaret! Please post pics when you get it!

@Margret     

Congratulations!!!!  enjoy!! along with Jasmine!!

Congrats @Margret  

ConCATS to Margret's CAT(s)! 
Thank you all.  I already have plans for getting pictures when I open the box, as well as later, once Jasmine has decided the scratching post is more interesting than the box it came in,  And, yes, I will most certainly post them.  If we're lucky I'll be able to get video and post it to YouTube, which may give Eric a business bump.

Margret

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
....... Jasmine has already expressed the opinion that there should be at least two scratching posts in every room, preferably three.
Have Jasmine send me a resume - I like the way she thinks: Art Motion and Sound could use a good spokescat :lol3:

......... If we're lucky I'll be able to get video and post it to YouTube, which may give Eric a business bump.
That would be great.....every time I try to get a video of one of our cats scratching, they suddenly take great interest in almost anything but the scratcher :lol3:: I am embarrassed to say how many times I have tried!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Eric.  Jasmine will absolutely adore it.  I plan to put it just under the dining room window, so that she can use it (when not scratching it) to peek out at the birds and squirrels without being seen by them (not that the birds and squirrels ever notice her anyway, but we don't tell her that).  Also, Jasmine has already expressed the opinion that there should be at least two scratching posts in every room, preferably three.

Thank you all.  I already have plans for getting pictures when I open the box, as well as later, once Jasmine has decided the scratching post is more interesting than the box it came in,  And, yes, I will most certainly post them.  If we're lucky I'll be able to get video and post it to YouTube, which may give Eric a business bump.

Margret
it certainly should. Jasmine is so pretty. She'd make a lovely spokesmodel. :heart4:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

....... Jasmine has already expressed the opinion that there should be at least  two scratching posts in every room, preferably three.
Have Jasmine send me a resume - I like the way she thinks: Art Motion and Sound could use a good spokescat

......... If we're lucky I'll be able to get video and post it to YouTube, which may give Eric a business bump.
That would be great.....every time I try to get a video of one of our cats scratching, they suddenly take great interest in almost anything but the scratcher
: I am embarrassed to say how many times I have tried!
Well, I did say "If we're lucky."  I've also had problems getting good pictures of Jasmine.  The one in my avatar is from a family photograph we took with the webcam on my laptop, just after we got Jasmine.  You can see the full picture on my profile page.  What you can't  see in either picture is that Jasmine was wearing a harness which I was grasping firmly to keep her from running away.  We were in the living room, at a time when Jasmine was a bedroom only kitty, and she was convinced (with some cause) that this was a dangerous place (the house guests from hell were still living with us, and they were the ones who got Floppy killed).

Since then, I've made a snub dodecahedron from ZomeTools (a really  cool toy, but guard the pieces carefully -- they strongly  resemble cat toys: http://www.zometool.com/), which Jasmine climbed into.  She was out before I could get to a camera, and I've never been able to entice her back in since.  If I put treats or toys inside, she reaches in with a paw and retrieves them.  Too bad.  It would make a great  picture.

I have an el-cheapo vid-cam from Target; after the scratching post is set up I'll just leave it on the dining room table, readily available for videos -- it may  work.  Or maybe not.  
  I'll also seed the post with catnip.  If I can't get a good video, you may want to check out the FloppyCats YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/steiff1001).  They test a lot  of products with their two Ragdolls, have remarkably good results at getting videos, and they always include where-to-buy links in the comments section.  And I'm pretty sure they have a lot of followers, unlike me.

Margret

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Margret and Jasmine's new scratcher drying on the patio....Will ship out in the morning.

View media item 375560
Looking forward to hearing how Jasmine reacts to her new scratcher!

The curvy leg design was originally made to blend in with antique or traditional furniture: but people seem to just like the "look" of it and the curve leg design winds up in all sorts of settings. Unlike the straight leg version - which looks clean and modern - this scratcher looks more organic or "alive." When people see several of my scratchers together - the curve leg design always draws comment. There will eventually be a curve leg scratcher in black walnut wood. Black walnut is my favorite wood and I love working with it. The design will be different to take advantage of the look of black walnut. I haven't settled on a final design yet - sometimes it seems to take forever to get the look the way I want it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like the curvy look, very much, and you're right that it has an organic feel to it.  However, there's one other thing that you may not be aware of -- the curvy angle scratcher looks to be more stable than the straight angle scratcher.  I'm not at all sure that it is more stable, but, just looking at it, it seems to be.  Maybe because it can't rock if the floor is uneven the way something with a flat bottom can, or maybe because it evokes that extremely strong structure, the arch.  Or maybe it's just the organic feel that it has, since structures that have evolved in nature tend to be extremely stable.  I don't know -- it's just a feeling, and the origin of feelings can be hard to pin down.

Our decor is best described as "eclectic."  If I like it and can afford it, I get it, with little regard for how it goes with other items of furniture.  I have an antique treadle sewing machine (a gift from my father) sitting in the living room next to the DVR, and the elbow table next to my recliner is a two drawer wooden filing cabinet -- both the recliner and the cabinet came from Goodwill.  And I have a stained glass torchiere lamp from Big Lots sitting next to my water bed.

Whenever it arrives, Jasmine and I will curb our enthusiasm and wait until the next Wednesday to open it, because that's the day my friend Sara will be here so we can get some good pictures.

And thank you for posting the picture -- it's gorgeous!

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Love your decor sense/style and look forward to seeing pics of the latest beautiful addition! 
Hopefully I can get some of the clutter cleaned up before taking pictures. 
  Happily, cats don't care about clutter -- just a fun, ever-changing obstacle course provide by their loving humans.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Happily, cats don't care about clutter -- just a fun, ever-changing obstacle course provide by their loving humans.

Margret
Hmmm.  I remember using that line before.  It was shot down with the retort that cats need room to run.  Personally, I'm with you. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Hmmm.  I remember using that line before.  It was shot down with the retort that cats need room to run.  Personally, I'm with you. 
Yeah, needing room to run sounds good, until you remember that we already have paths through the clutter, for the humans.  If the cat chooses to brave the clutter it's because she likes clutter.  Not to mention that, unlike the humans in the house, she's really good at jumping over obstacles.  And I haven't noticed that the clutter slows Jasmine down at all when she gets the zoomies.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's here!  The mailman rang my doorbell this morning.

Jasmine has been sniffing the box -- she said "Other cats have been around this box!  I can tell!" -- and then she started rubbing it, scent marking it as hers, which is entirely appropriate.

We'll open it next Wednesday, when Sara is here.  That gives me a week to get the camera properly installed and clean up enough clutter that we can (I hope) get a decent video to post on YouTube.  If I'm lucky I'll find a couple of lost items while I'm at it.

Margret

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's here!  The mailman rang my doorbell this morning.

Jasmine has been sniffing the box -- she said "Other cats have been around this box!  I can tell!" -- and then she started rubbing it, scent marking it as hers, which is entirely appropriate.

We'll open it next Wednesday, when Sara is here.  That gives me a week to get the camera properly installed and clean up enough clutter that we can (I hope) get a decent video to post on YouTube.  If I'm lucky I'll find a couple of lost items while I'm at it.

Margret
I always lose things when I clean up the clutter.