September 2022 Book of the Month Club ---"Twenties Girl"

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_20220802_162626.jpg

Back in April we ran a poll, the first and second book choices we have previously read so this month we are reading the third choice which is Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

Twenties Girl

This one is slightly different from her previous books inasmuch as it has a ghost.

We will be reading from 1st September to 21st September with discussions from 22nd September.

All are welcome to join in, the more the merrier and share your thoughts later in the month. Happy Reading.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is available at my local library. Looks like a go for me. And I like ghosts!
Yay! Glad you'll be joining us. :)

About ghosts, I don't really like scary books, however, having read Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series, I don't expect Twenties Girl to be a "hide under the covers" read, but I guess I'll find out in September. 👻

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll try to join this one! I voted for it. It's at my library, and it looks like there might also be an ebook if it's checked out there come September.
Excellent. Glad you'll be joining us again. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found it at the local library - in German and called "Charleston Girl! It's certainly not my type of book but I'll do my best.

It's not a classic so the language is simple. Still, reading it in German is a time-consuming job as I have to actually read most of the words for it to make sense - not possible to skip over every two or three words as I do in English. In addition, a translation from English into German produces a document a third as long again - of course, with no new information. So this little book in German is 500 pages of small-type. If I read a chapter a day - there are 27 - I should have finished by the date for discussion. :) Wish me well!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your brave. Are you fluent in German?
I didn't start learning German till I came here when I was 30 years old - 48 years ago! My young children picked up the accent and children's vocabulary quickly but that didn't help me much. :lol: I attended classes to learn adult vocabulary and grammar but soon found employment where I was expected to make myself understood! My accent is still "foreign" but it makes people smile. I am often asked if I am American, French, Dutch or English. Everyone says I am "fluent" but I still don*t feel as confident using German as I would speaking and writing English - though I do have difficulty understanding modern English expressions spoken in an artificially high-pitched squeaky Mickey-Mouse accent which young people use today. Where have all the lovely deep-voices gone?
One consolation: though not as difficult as perhaps Finnish or Hungarian, German is not easy and even well-educated German nationals make mistakes and ask me what is correct!
But, back to the rather stupid Lara Lington! 📚

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I admire people who learn a second language. My ex husband and I went to German classes for a couple of months when we intended hitchhiking there but ended up in Switzerland, thats where the lifts took us. We still managed to get by speaking German but whilst we could ask the questions we couldn't understand the answers, so typical of us. I hope you dont find the book too difficult and it translates well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, back to the rather stupid Lara Lington! 📚
Oh, dear. That's not a very positive sign. :lol:

I admire people who learn a second language.
Me too. I was so awed whenever I went to Montreal, and someone said "bonjour" to me, and I replied "hello" and they instantly switched to English.

We had some French in school, but not near enough to really learn it. It's still a goal of mine though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fe63b9930f5c1cae47fcfeb40ccc0838.jpg

September is upon us and its time to start this months book, Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. Hope you will join in reading and discussing, we will start the discussion on 22nd of the month as usual. Happy Reading.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone else start Twenties Girl yet? I think I'm going to start it today.

To those already reading, how's it going?