September 2021 book of the month club (Poll)

Which book should we read in September 2021

• Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • The Martian by Andy Weir

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We recently had a poll to choose the genre of book we should read next. When the poll closed, the winner, with 50% of the votes, was Sci Fi/Fantasy, a genre which the book club has not read before.

While exciting, it quickly became a challenge for us behind the scenes, who aren't familiar with the genre. Realizing there are sub-genres inside the larger one, then going through various lists of books, we ended up with 3 novels that sound interesting.

So TCS readers, we’re asking you to vote, yet again, to help choose the Sci Fi/Fantasy book our TCS book club will read in September 2021.

The poll will run for 5 days, giving everyone a chance to vote, and then time to acquire the book by September.

Votes are anonymous, so no one will know who voted, or which book they voted for. You also don’t have to be a Sci Fi/Fantasy fan to vote, or read along with us. Everyone is always welcome, and though voting does not commit you to reading the book, we hope you will.

Here are the descriptions for the 3 books.

Frankenstein written by Mary Shelley
1627490974205.png

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
written by V. E. Schwab
1627491884349.png

The Martian
written by Andy Weir
1627493515567.png

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
All of these books are available at my local public library, most in eBook form. One has a two week waiting list, but since it is a September read, it won't be a problem. Based on that, these are some good choices!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Less than 24 hours left to vote, for anyone procrastinating.

vote-gif.gif

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for voting everyone! Poll is closed now and ...

1627930564553.png

It wasn't a super close race, however, all 3 books received multiple votes, showing interest in them, so we will certainly keep The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue and The Martian on the list of possible books to choose, next time we go with the Sci Fi/Fantasy genre.

However, with 50% of the vote, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley will be our Book of the Month for September 2021.

Because this is an out of copyright book, it can be downloaded for free from Project Gutenburg.

Link for e-book at Project Gutenburg: Frankenstein; Or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
(this includes links to download to a device, or to read online via html)

If you prefer to listen to books, that can be done too, via Youtube. There's various links.
Here's one, that includes rolling text..

The book is also available in hard copy, or Kindle at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Signet-Classics-Mary-Shelley/dp/0451532244/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MLYAE1D5STQ8&dchild=1&keywords=frankenstein+mary+shelley&qid=1627931766&sprefix=frankenstein,aps,261&sr=8-1&tag=thecatsite

It should also be available at Public Libraries.

We will be reading Frankenstein between September 1st and September 21st
Discussion will begin September 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us, and then join the discussion.
You can RSVP that you're going to read it, by posting in this thread.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an uncensored original 1818 version and a revised 1831 version of Frankenstein. I have read that some scholars prefer the uncensored 1818 version. From what I can tell the 1831 version was revised to be more conservative and with part of the revisions done by her husband, the poet Percy Shelley. I will try the 1818 version. My library has a copy with both versions, which I have on hold. Though I doubt I will read both versions, I may do some comparisons. I am curious. Which version will others be reading?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's interesting, about there being 2 different versions. The Project Gutenburg version doesn't show the copyright date. And my library's "always available" copy is the Project Gutenburg one. So whichever version they have, that's the one I'll be reading.

I've actually read it already, but back in 2018, and though I remember quite a bit about the story, I forget exactly how it ended. So looking forward to reading it again, and seeing what everyone else thinks of it.

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually just came here to say the same thing. Can confirm, both my undergrad and graduate level professors preferred the 1818 (as do I). However, the difference between the two editions shouldn't hamper discussion of the book, IMO. The basic plot doesn't change. Just be aware that there are two versions to avoid confusion during discussion.

Project Gutenberg appears to have the 1831 edition.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking forward to reading it - I have the paperback book. The pages are now yellow and the writing is rather small. It appears to be the 1831 edition. Germany has blocked "certain items in the Project Gutenberg collection". :angrycat: In my experience, it seems to have blocked everything. Still, there are certainly e-books available here for next to nothing. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon.com seems to have both versions, in both paperback and e-book. And the 1818 e-book version is available on Amazon.ca for 99 cents, so I might buy it and read that one, since the first time I read it, I apparently read the revised 1831 version. Hopefully it doesn't become too confusing during the discussion, if we don't all read the same version.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have already started - only reading slowly, one chapter (of 24) in bed each night. It's not exactly a page turner (and science fiction/horror doesn't interest me very much at all) but the descriptions of places and people make it worth taking more time over.
I'm planning to finish it on time. :read:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've purchased the 99 cents version (original 1818) from Amazon, so I'm all good. Can't wait to read it!
I think I'm going to purchase that 99 cent version too, since I've read the other version. Wonder if I'll notice any differences? :dunno:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The copy I have is made to be read as the 1831 version. The semi-edited original 1816-1817 draft is included. It needs editing - no surprise as most drafts do. The draft is difficult to read as it is and I think is included for reference. I'm looking for another copy of the 1818 version. My library has several versions available but none for the Kindle at this point. I'll work something out.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm now reading the last few chapters - slowly. It's a very good (excellent) book even if it is depressing - and I don't want it to end! I can't say that about many books these days!