September 2020 book of the month club (Poll)

Vote for the book we should read in September 2020

• Arsenic in the Azaleas by Dale Mayer

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • See You Soon by NC Marshall

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've decided to do something different for our September read. Instead of simply announcing the book choice, we thought we'd give a bit of the decision making to our fellow readers. So we've chosen 3 books, and now we need you to help us decide which one should be the book club choice for September 2020.

There's 3 books, each from a different genre. One has been on the New York Times bestsellers list for 98 weeks! One of them is a Cozy Mystery, which we know some readers here at TCS enjoy. And one is a psychological thriller.

The poll will run for 7 days, giving everyone time to vote, and then time to acquire the book by September.

Two of the books are currently available as free e-books at Amazon, B&N and KOBO. As free book offers are only on for a limited time, you might want to download them right away, as they may go back to their normal prices before September arrives, or even before the poll closes.

Votes are anonymous, btw, so no one will know who voted, or which book they voted for. Voting does not commit you to reading the book, but of course, we hope you do, as the more readers, the better.

Here are the descriptions for the 3 books.

ARSENIC IN THE AZALEAS by DALE MAYER - COZY MYSTERY - CURRENTLY FREE AT AMAZON, B&N AND
KOBO
1596278605458.png

SEE YOU SOON by NC MARSHALL - PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER - CURRENTLY FREE AT AMAZON, B&N, KOBO
1596278833234.png

WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING by DELIA OWENS - NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER FOR 98 WEEKS - AMAZON
1596279037872.png

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Where the Crawdads Sing but since it's not a library book, I don't feel any pressing need to read it, so maybe having a book club deadline will encourage me to do it. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 : Since you already have "Where the Crawdads Sing", you'll be all set if it becomes our September read. And if another book wins, who knows, we may still choose it for another month down the road.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the two freebies on my Kindle now, and I have "Where the Crawdads Sing" (it was a Christmas gift) and have read it, so I am ready to go whatever the choice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 : that's great that you're all set. And as of now, the choice is unclear, as we have a tie. The poll closes in less than 48 hours so hopefully the tie will be broken by then.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the TWO that I really wanted are the two front-runners! And my favorite is THE front runners! I'm definitely in for September!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After a close vote, including a couple ties, the poll has now closed and the winner has been chosen.

So our September 2020 Book of the Month read will be Arsenic in the Azaleas by
Dale Mayer

The e-book version is currently still FREE at AMAZON, B&N AND KOBO so if you haven't downloaded it yet, it's not too late.

Thanks to everyone who voted. Even if the book you voted for didn't win, hope you will consider joining us in September.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Less than 2 weeks till we start "Arsenic in the Azaleas". As of right now, it's still FREE at AMAZON, B&N AND KOBO
so if you're thinking about reading along with us, and haven't downloaded it yet, it's not too late.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's September 1st, so it's time to start reading ARSENIC IN THE AZALEAS.

The e-book version is still FREE at AMAZON, B&N AND KOBO so if you have an e-reader, you should be able to download it. For the Kindle version from Amazon, there's the Kindle App which should make it readable on any PC, laptop, tablet, etc.

The reading part of the month is September 1st to September 21st. And then from September 22nd to September 28th, we will discuss the book.

As always, everyone is invited to read along with us.

1598958823790.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just finished chapter 2 and uhm...
ewwwwwww :eek2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone else reading this? Or just me. :paranoid:

I'm about halfway through now, and I'm enjoying it more than I expected I would, considering it was a freebie.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just about finished - about to start the epilogue. Enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. So much so, that I searched for the next book in the series and discovered Hoopla has the first 6, so I just might read a couple more. Also discovered the author has written A LOT of books

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today is September 21st, which means it's finally time to discuss Arsenic in the Azaleas. :woohoo:

1600698178477.png

Because there were no reader discussion questions at the end of the book, and also because the questions we've been posting for all the books we've read don't really fit a cozy mystery, we thought we'd skip the questions and just let everyone dive right and share their review and/or thoughts on the book. So, let's discuss ...