Separation Anxiety? Shy Kitty?

Joydrop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I moved to an apartment for school a two months ago with my 8 month old kitty, and I've noticed some signs of what might be separation anxiety. Whenever I leave for class (around 3h/day), he stands in front of the door meowing. Even when he is peacefully asleep, if he hears the door, he immediately goes towards there and starts crying. It breaks me inside to see him like this. As soon as I come back though, he returns to his normal self and shows lots of affection. I've since tried everything I could to keep him happy: a Feliway diffuser, new toys, cat tree with window view, water fountain (but I guess money can't buy happiness aha).

He did not behave like this back at my parent's house. Maybe because there was more space to run around and another cat to play with/attack. I would be willing keep him at home, but he causes too much stress for the older cat :'(

I've also recently noticed that he is extremely afraid of strangers, and I've read that it could be caused by separation anxiety. I'm worried that if this continues, the stress might take a toll on his health.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. He means the world to me, and I wouldn't want anything to stress him out. Is there anything I can do to make him less stressed and less shy? Thanks

Bonus pic of him "getting along" with the other cat. He's always sitting where he shouldn't, on keyboards, kitchen counters, and the other cat :lol:.
36002426_1965854880112204_6879954162654642176_n.jpg 36175982_1965843250113367_4155394070199402496_n.jpg 36043369_1965843416780017_7215439620127850496_n.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cutie pie. :catlove: Love the pic of him "getting along" with the other cat. ;)

I do think it's normal for some cats to cry when we leave. And I do think they stop crying once they realize we're not coming right back. But you're only gone for 3 hours. It will be longer than that once you get a full-time job. So he'll have to learn to be on his own more.

Will you eventually move back to your parent's place? If not, is getting another kitten an option?

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Bowser does ALL of that. She indeed has separation anxiety but there is nothing else I can do for her to ease the anxiety. I took all my vets recommendations and have the diffusers, tons of toys, I leave treats hidden around the house so she doesnt get bored. I also have another cat, Kitty. It used to help Bowser having another cat but shes recently started attacking Kitty so we have kept them separate as of right now. There's no advice I can really give you, it sounds like you're doing all the right things for your baby, just know you're not alone with anyone anxious baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joydrop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the insight! It really puts me at ease knowing that his behaviour isn't too too out of the ordinary.

Curlynn Curlynn sounds like we're in the same boat :'). Out of curiosity, does your Bowser also get scared of strangers? I'm not sure if my kitty's shyness is caused by the anxiety, so I just wanted to see if it might be another issue altogether.

rubysmama rubysmama I do hope he learns eventually, since I probably won't be lucky enough to have such short classes anymore! I won't be moving back or getting another cat anytime soon. I guess I'm in a pickle

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Make sure you give him lots of attention when you're home, and hopefully as he gets older, he'll realize you'll always come back, and he won't stress so much when he knows you're leaving.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the insight! It really puts me at ease knowing that his behaviour isn't too too out of the ordinary.

Curlynn Curlynn sounds like we're in the same boat :'). Out of curiosity, does your Bowser also get scared of strangers? I'm not sure if my kitty's shyness is caused by the anxiety, so I just wanted to see if it might be another issue altogether.

rubysmama rubysmama I do hope he learns eventually, since I probably won't be lucky enough to have such short classes anymore! I won't be moving back or getting another cat anytime soon. I guess I'm in a pickle
If she hears the door open whil

If she hears the door open while I'm home (knowing it can't be me) she runs and hides. If its a familiar voice she will come out after like 15 minutes, but if its a new person she will hide most of the time or just sit in the hallway to look at them until they leave lol. Sometimes even if she hears neighbors she gets skiddish but doesnt always run and hide, just is on alert and stares at the door.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just get scared of strangers. My Starbuck is now 12 years old and we have had her since she was a 6 week old baby. She runs and hides when I have company. She hides upstairs and will come out if we go upstairs for something and the company is down stairs. She just recently finally asked my cat sitter to pet her while we were out of town. My cat sitter was totally surprised and was very cautious when approaching her because she did not want to scare her. My cat sitter has shy cats of her own that we have never seen when visiting her. Starbuck likes to hang out on my desk behind my computer monitor. My cat sitter came upstairs to check/fill the water fountain in our upstairs bathroom. Starbuck poked her head out and meowed at her when she was walking by. She stopped walking and just stood where she was talking to Starbuck first. Starbuck came out and sat on my desk watching her. She decided to approach slowly and just hold out her hand for Starbuck to sniff. Starbuck decided to pet her hand and did not try to run away. My cat sitter ended up petting her for about 10 minutes and then she went behind the monitor. My cat sitter has never tried to force Starbuck to interact with her. She was very happy that Starbuck finally decided to trust her. We do not travel very often. Our cat sitter is a good friend she is here more when we are home than out of town. It will be interesting to see how Starbuck acts around her when we are home. My other 3 cats all love my cat sitter and treat her like they treat us. My friend has been cat sitting for us for many years so Starbuck has had plenty of time to get used to her on her terms.

My Casey is very out going and loves people. He also does not like it when we leave the house. He sits on the half wall in our hall meowing at us when we put on our shoes. When we get home he complains a little bit about us being gone and then wants attention. He will act like this whether we are gone all day for work or just walking into the garage to take out the garbage. He acts the same way when we have company and they go about their day. One of my hubby's friends will go for walk sometimes when he visits. Casey does the exact same behavior when he leaves and comes back in.