Separating cats

kline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I'm looking into adopting a new kitten, however my roommates already have a 2 year old cat. They are concerned about how the cats will interact with each other, and eventually if they bond how will we seperate them. My lease ends in 3 months, and their cat is very timid. I really don't see this cat warming up to this kitten very quickly, she even hasn't warmed up to me and I've been living with her for over a year. I am a Vet nurse and have fallen in love with one of the rescue kittens that have been surrendered to us, she has such a calm and easy going personality and I think she'll adapt to change quite easily. I'm not worried about how to introduce the cats, but I guess my question is do you think we have to worry about them bonding in such a short period of time, it would be so terrible to see either one of them sad or even depressed about missing the other.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They may or may not bond in that period of time but in such a short time I doubt it would be a close bond. Kittens are very adaptable and a couple months isn’t going to make that much difference to her and the adult would probably be in the stage where she tolerates the kitten but isn’t attached to it. So I would go with your heart and adopt.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
their cat is very timid.
I'm coming from the other direction. As I understand your post, your roommates aren't thrilled about this precisely because their cat is timid and they don't want to put her through the stress of the high energy of a kitten, whether that kitten has a calm personality or otherwise.

Are you moving or are they when the lease is up? I guess what I'm getting at is that I think you might want to give your roommates concerns more consideration regarding their cat's wellbeing, rather than trying to figure out a future possibility.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you say 'kitten' - how old? Is there someone who could foster your kitten for you for these 3 months - someone you would be able to spend a lot of time with in order to build a relationship with her - and, not mess with the cohesiveness of the current situation you are in since it is for only another 3 months?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furballsmom, to answer your question I will be the one moving. And yes of course there will be some added stress on my roommates cat, thats inevitable anytime you adopt a new pet, but I am also hoping that it will bring her out of her shell a little bit. And to answer FeebysOwner FeebysOwner this kitten is roughly 12 weeks and if these two cats really don't get along I can send her over to my partners house, but obviously that will be our last resort. We have a plan if they're not getting along but don't if they do end up bonding.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. I hope the two cats get along OK, but not so much that it negatively affects the 2yo either through the 3 months, or afterward. I am sure your kitten will be fine either way, given its age - just hope the same is true for the 2yo.

Edit: if the cats would end up bonding, and your current roommates would accept another cat into their home permanently, you might want to add to your considerations that the kitten becomes part of their home instead of part of your new home.

Good luck!

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if the two year old cat ends up liking having a playmate, they would be just as open to another cat or kitten, if the roommates want them to have one, after you and yours move out. And if the two year old can adjust to the kitten then you just have to keep them separated as much as possible while up you are still there.