Separating 2yr old brother cats

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help deciding to separate my two cats. Their from the same litter and are brothers both two years old. One of them is the best cat anyone could’ve asked for so loving and just a good boy. The other won’t stop peeing in the house when he knows how to use his litter box. We tried everything even buying him his own $40 litter box and nothing is working. I can’t wake up every morning and always have pee to clean up. Help what should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
Have you taken them both (so that they smell the same when they get back home) to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
Have you taken them both (so that they smell the same when they get back home) to the vet?
Only one cat has problems why would I take the other ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So that they smell the same to each other when they get back home. Many times one cat goes to the vet and smells different, and the cat who stayed home freaks out because the one who went to the vet is now smelling like a stranger.

Have you taken him/them to a vet?

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So that they smell the same to each other when they get back home. Many times one cat goes to the vet and smells different, and the cat who stayed home freaks out because the one who went to the vet is now smelling like a stranger.

Have you taken him/them to a vet?
We took the one cat that has problems to the vet months ago and the other didn’t really seem to care there’s no sign of new behavior in the other. Just the same problems with the original cat.

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you using calming products such as feliway or Bachs rescue remedy?
Funny you say that I am actually looking at those right now. Which do you recommend?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:)

I think feliway is too pricey and sometimes can actually make things worse (or do nothing like for my boy), although some other members swear by it.

The Rescue Remedy is recommended by some members - I've never used it. I have used Only Natural Pet's Just Relax spray, and that retailer also has some chews.

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:)

I think feliway is too pricey and sometimes can actually make things worse (or do nothing like for my boy), although some other members swear by it.

The Rescue Remedy is recommended by some members - I've never used it. I have used Only Natural Pet's Just Relax spray, and that retailer also has some chews.
I will check those out thank you for the reply :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things go - I'm sending all sorts of good, calming thoughts to your upset furry boy!

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has he been peeing in the house? Is he neutered? When you took him to the vet, did they check for a UTI?

I know some people have had great luck with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, have you tried that? It's designed to be appealing to cats who have issues using the litter box. I would also make sure you clean the areas he's urinated with an enzymatic cleaner; sometimes, even after cleaning with a regular cleaner, they can still smell the pee in that area and will continue to go in the same spot.

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has he been peeing in the house? Is he neutered? When you took him to the vet, did they check for a UTI?

I know some people have had great luck with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, have you tried that? It's designed to be appealing to cats who have issues using the litter box. I would also make sure you clean the areas he's urinated with an enzymatic cleaner; sometimes, even after cleaning with a regular cleaner, they can still smell the pee in that area and will continue to go in the same spot.
He is neutered and it’s been a few months he’s been doing it. We took him to the vet when we thought he had something because his poop is never solid always mushy. All they really did was test him for parasites and worms so no uti check. And I didn’t know that about the cleaner I will have to do that ASAP thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Certainly, ask your vet about a urinalysis/urine culture. This will check for a UTI but also look for sediment and/or blood in his urine that could indicate he has crystals or stones in his bladder. And, neither crystals or blood is necessarily visibly detectable to the naked eye. Even without a UTI, the crystals or stones can irritate the bladder lining and cause enough pain to make a cat avoid the litter box. Cats don't correlate the pain/irritation of peeing with the actual act, but rather with the litter box. The thing you need to worry about with a male cat, due to their different anatomical structure, is that crystals can end up blocking their urethra which is a very serious and potentially lethal issue.

If they don't find any infection/crystals/stones/blood in the urine, that doesn't mean he isn't experiencing a form of cystitis. Here is an article that might help give you some additional information about this condition.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Certainly, ask your vet about a urinalysis/urine culture. This will check for a UTI but also look for sediment and/or blood in his urine that could indicate he has crystals or stones in his bladder. And, neither crystals or blood is necessarily visibly detectable to the naked eye. Even without a UTI, the crystals or stones can irritate the bladder lining and cause enough pain to make a cat avoid the litter box. Cats don't correlate the pain/irritation of peeing with the actual act, but rather with the litter box. The thing you need to worry about with a male cat, due to their different anatomical structure, is that crystals can end up blocking their urethra which is a very serious and potentially lethal issue.

If they don't find any infection/crystals/stones/blood in the urine, that doesn't mean he isn't experiencing a form of cystitis. Here is an article that might help give you some additional information about this condition.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)
Thank you for the help!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He could have a UTI or behavior issues. Has he been checked out by a vet for urinary issues? Is he neutered? Has something happened recently in your home? Does he have any other symptoms? Try moving his litterbox. I hope you don't have to rehome him.

Abed00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He could have a UTI or behavior issues. Has he been checked out by a vet for urinary issues? Is he neutered? Has something happened recently in your home? Does he have any other symptoms? Try moving his litterbox. I hope you don't have to rehome him.
Me as well. We bought him a new litter box and I ordered some only natural pet cbd gummies to rule out if he is stressed/anxious which he seems to be on edge a lot. If that isn’t it then the vet will be next but we are doing all we can to not rehome him.