Separated Sister Because Of Medication

Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there, i wonder if anyone could help me. about a month ago we get 2 rescue cat not sister by mother but they been living together for long time in a hoarder house. they never had human touch before and live there with lots of cats. polly who is 3 y.o and molly who is 1 y.o. polly recently got diagnose with ringworm so we have to isolated her in another room so we wont get molly sick too. it will be for 10 days then we have to get back to the vet and see how things go. day 1 not so bad. but today is day 2 and they keep looking for each other and keep make sad miaw :( we are heartbreak to see them like this and dont know what we can do. polly is ok with us touching and pet her but molly is the one that dont like to be pet. molly looks sad from time to time but she can entertain her self but the other thing polly is the one that desperately would like to get out from the room. is there any way to get them feel better, is it ok to let them see and play each other? polly is in oral antibiotic and antibacterial cream. thank you in advance.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping these sisters! We'd love to hear more about it and see photos as well. Rescuing abused cats is often very challenging. These are basically semi-feral cats so there will be a lot of socialization to be done here to help them live with humans and form a bond with you.

I'm not sure about the need for isolating cats with ringworm. I guess it depends on the severity. You may want to read this article about ringworm and I'm going to mention our member @bunnelina who is an expert on the topic and the one who started this mega thread -
6 Things I Learned from Our Ringworm Plague (book length....)
There are also two articles on the topic -
Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

As for the behavioral aspects, since they had little contact with humans, these guidelines might help -
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

I'm also moving this thread to the cat rescue forums where our experienced rescuers hang out. I hope some of them may be able to help relying on their own experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping these sisters! We'd love to hear more about it and see photos as well. Rescuing abused cats is often very challenging. These are basically semi-feral cats so there will be a lot of socialization to be done here to help them live with humans and form a bond with you.

I'm not sure about the need for isolating cats with ringworm. I guess it depends on the severity. You may want to read this article about ringworm and I'm going to mention our member @bunnelina who is an expert on the topic and the one who started this mega thread -
6 Things I Learned from Our Ringworm Plague (book length....)
There are also two articles on the topic -
Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

As for the behavioral aspects, since they had little contact with humans, these guidelines might help -
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

I'm also moving this thread to the cat rescue forums where our experienced rescuers hang out. I hope some of them may be able to help relying on their own experience.
Thank you so much for the attention. We have been trying to gain their trust for this past few weeks. So far they are behaving well. Though polly (3y.o) pee in the bathtub for i dont know what reason she did poo in the litterbox but never cover. We are still trying and look around what best litter out there, atm we are using purina tidy cats litter. Molly (1y.o) the other hand is well train using her litter box. Molly still doesnt want to get touch or pet. She is playfull but havent trust us completely. Polly the other hand dont mind to be pet. They sleep most of the night in our bed. And for now we are being soft with polly (ringworm case) and let her out the isolated room because i can see how stress they are without each other. I would prefer 2 cats with ringworm rather then 2 stress unhappy cats. Thank you for your input and info i will give it a read. Thank you so much for the support

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't isolate them for that long without any interaction of any kind, they will start to forget each other. Is there any way you can get a small holed wire cage that they can see/interact without actually touching each other? You might check, I know human children can be with each other again after so many days of treatment, please check with your vet. I also know they have to keep the lesions covered, so maybe a onesie or wrap on the infected one? All the luck and keep us posted!

• Purraise
Reactions: Cha

Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just don't isolate them for that long without any interaction of any kind, they will start to forget each other
Wow thank you for the heads up. We already let her out and they seems very happy and not so stressed anymore. Will remember this next
Is there any way you can get a small holed wire cage that they can see/interact without actually touching each other? You might check, I know human children can be with each other again after so many days of treatment, please check with your vet. I also know they have to keep the lesions covered, so maybe a onesie or wrap on the infected one?
We dont think the wire hole can work but will look it up. Vet didnt tell us anything about cover the lesion as it is not serious wound i think. He only gave us some cream and antibiotic. Cat onesies sounds cute hahaha will try to look it up but not sure if it will stay on her hahaha !! Thank you for the info and will keep update after the vet visit next time. Ta!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Polly may be peeing in the bathtub because she prefers to pee and poop in different places. This is actually pretty common with cats, and is nothing to worry about. Adding an extra box may well solve the problem. Some cats just don't cover their poop, so again this can be normal :)

These girls are very lucky to have found you :D

• Purraise
Reactions: Cha

Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Polly may be peeing in the bathtub because she prefers to pee and poop in different places. This is actually pretty common with cats, and is nothing to worry about. Adding an extra box may well solve the problem. Some cats just don't cover their poop, so again this can be normal :)

These girls are very lucky to have found you :D
That is good to know at least is not because she is sick. Worried us when that happen.. lucky we found this site!! ;) thank you to all of you with all this informations we are very new on this :D we are very lucky to find them as our house not so empty anymore :hyper:

Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how are the girls doing?
The girls doing fine. We going to put clothes on polly instead of the cone because she seems grumpy everytime we put it on her, and see how it goes. Molly seems healthy no case of ringworm yet.. hopefully not ever :) they still sleep with us and wake us up every morning for breakfast time :p thank you for your concern will keep it posted :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like a good plan. Cones can be annoying. It's nice that they are doing so well. :)

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad the girls are getting to see each other. I want to say that you should not cover the lesion. Ringworm thrives in warm , moist areas. I have dealt with it and it is such a pain. Frankly, I would actually take the chance that the other little girl gets ringworm too.They seem to need each other.