sentry cat calming collar-what;s your take?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I adopted 2 cats about 6 months ago, and the shy one had a few incidents of peeing in his own bed and not covering up his pee in his litter box from time to time. He's also super scared, for example if someone comes to the front door or rings doorbell, he goes flying into the bedroom and dives under the bed. He does not allow us to pick him up at all. It's strange, because when we try, he flails his little arms around like he's trying to fly, but then we put him down immediately, and he purrs and will play or want to be petted just fine.

I asked a vet and they said to try Feliway diffusers. I have been using those for about a month and a half and no pee incidents, so yay!

However, he still won't be held. The vet said to try the calming collar which will have the pheromones on him 24/7 and that might help be 'calm' enough to be held. 

We put the collar on him maybe 12 hours ago, and it's not gonna make it another 12 hours. He bites at it and licks at his neck a lot. There are teeth marks all the way around the collar. I am not sure if he likes the taste of it or is trying to get the taste/smell off him. It is not on too tight so that's not an issue.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the collar like this, or anyone have any thoughts about it in general.

I know he may just be a cat that doesn't like to be picked up, but he is also a nervous kitty. I want to make him feel as comfortable as possible, and as calm as possible.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I tried one on my cat Jake.  He somehow got it off a couple of times and obviously didn't like it so I quit trying.  I had much better luck with these:  www.calmingcollars.com.   Not cheap but it helped with Jake's anxiety from going deaf and he didn't try to get if off.  

Some people have good results with Bach flower remedies, though personally I don't think they helped my cat: http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/

And it may just take more time--some kitties just take longer to settle in.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It might be something to do with the smell, I don't know as have not used one of these with any of my cats, but I do know one of my female cats used to hate wearing her colar.  Once she decided she didn't want to wear one any more she would paw and chew and struggle until it was off, or her front leg was stuck in it so she couldn't walk properly until I sorted it for her...   Her sister hated to be held by anyone, had to be in control all the time or she would panic.  I started easing her in to it lifting her and setting her to sit on my arm and get off with no holding.  She slowly grew to trust me doing it that way and stopped fighting with me after a while.  She would let me clip her claws that way but no chance if I held her more securely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update, in case anyone else goes through something similar:

He has had the collar on for 5 days now, and yes it has survived. It looked liked he was going to bite right through it, but he finally calmed down a bit. Either he just needed to get used to having something on his neck, or the smell has worn off a bit so it's not as offensive to him... not sure the reason. It's pretty cracked and will likely break but I would definitely consider getting him another one when it does.

He seems much calmer and less panicky already. Both of my kitties sit outside with me during the day. Originally, my scaredy cat would sit close or duck into the bushes while his brother roamed about. The past 2 days he is getting braver about moving around outside and not hiding after every sound. I haven't had anyone ring my doorbell so I don't know if he'll still be jumpy to that.... but he seems much more chill.

He still will not let us hold him, (though I got a good 10 seconds in last night while he was tired) before he started flailing....

Today, we took a kitty nap together, and usually he likes to be alone when he naps. Today, he got close, tucked his head under my arm and put his little paw over my face. He was calm and cuddly (for him). He's a super loving little sensitive guy but he's always needed his 'space' until now. It was great!

Baby steps... but I really feel the Feliway cat calming collar has really helped :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like really positive changes which is great.  Thanks for the update.  It will be really interesting to hear what happens if you replace the collar with a new one, if the chilled cat remains or starts to get bugged by it again.   My boy has only just started coming and sitting on me sometimes when I'm on the computer and I know how made up that leaves me feeling so all behind you that your guy keeps building up his tollerance for being held.  Who knows, maybe one day you'll be posting saying he won't let you put him down and you can't get anything done!  
   I hope so!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MServant,

thanks for your response. It is pretty promising that his behavior seems calmer. I really appreciate this website too, being a first time cat owner, it has helped me quite a bit :)

Also, I forgot until now, but last night, my little scaredy cat hopped up onto the couch and sat next to me. (He didn't want to be touched as I quickly found out) but this was a big step for him too. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Boo hoo.... now I feel jealous! 
     Mouse hardly ever comes and sits next to me  :-(   He lets me pick him up and do all kinds of ridiculous stuff , and will trample on me in bed and then curl up round my legs for the night, but in terms of him coming up and sitting on my lap or curling up next to me on a chair - that is a very rare event (well unless he sits on my arms and chest to try and stop me from typing on my laptop).  Maybe I need to try one of these collars and not worry about the worn fur (not supposed to be good to have collars on Russian cats' fur as the rubbing will cause thinning underneath it).   

Honestly, when Mouse does come and curl up near to me on the sofa I stay so still in the hope he'll stay put it is ridiculous!