sent cat video to vet

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a total of 5 cats. one started to cough and sneeze...then the other one got it and now all five have a cough and sneeze. I sent my Vet video and she said since they do not have any other symptoms to wait it out for about 10 days. I feel better now that I spoke and sent video but when they cough it sounds so horrible and I feel helpless. they eat fine and drink water and even are playing but when they get a fit it scares me. has anyone else had this happen to them?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet with it spreading like that it is feline herpes syndrome, a very common kitty cold that is viral. It is NOT transferrable to humans. Mine took about two weeks to get over it, though they sneezed way more than they coughed. Mine haven't got it again after building up their immune systems with DMG I get on Amazon. There are also L-Lysine treats that many vets recommend, but they weren't effective in my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
interesting. I am going to research that. how do they get feline herpes syndrome?

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also they dont have any eye discharge or runny nose. its just a cough like if they are trying to get a hair ball out but never do...and they sneeze.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a virus like a cold virus in humans. They get it from other cats, going outside, or even from your hands if you petted another cat. Or tracked it in on your shoes. Coughing can indicate hairballs or asthma, but I doubt all of them almost together. You could give each of them a teaspoon of butter every few days if it is hairballs.

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ah, I see. they are all inside cats but it's not hairballs. the Vet said it's most likely a URI. I just get nervous because one seems to be coughing up phlegm and it sounds so horrible and I feel terrible for my little guy. now he is hiding in the closet and does not want to be bothered.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Same as humans when we're sick. When I feel crappy, I don't want other people to bother me either. That's how kitty feels right now. You can always try some gravy food toppers, or special food that's been warmed up a little that might help them feel a bit better (like chicken noodle soup does for humans).

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty experiences this. I mentioned in a different thread that it sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and an angry donkey. My vet used the term "reverse sneeze." It sounds truly awful, and one time my kitty regurgitated food while coughing.

She has had periodic coughing fits for two months now so I took her in for a chest x-ray recently. Everything was fine and the vet thought it was allergies. Could also be herpes, I guess-- she had a URI when I adopted her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that is hiding needs extra help. A cat heat padwould be good if you can, also run some hot water in the shower and steam up the room. Let him breathe in the vapors for a good 15 to 30 minutes or run a vaporizer into the closet if possible. If the phlegm is colored yellow white or green and not clear, it is bacterial and they need an antibiotic. All the luck!

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello !
I have an update. I took him to emergency because after a coughing fit he started to pant a bit. I thought better safe so I took him. His lungs are clear but has congestion and the dr said he sounds like he is doing a reverse sneeze and a upper respiratory infection. And all vitals were normal. No fever. She put him on famciclovir. Oddly he didnt give me any issues when ibhave him the pill. He is resting now. She also said to get lysine. It's strange my 4 other cats have the cough and sneeze but for some reason he got it bad. Hopefully the meds kick in and he gets better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have luck cutting a tablet into small pieces and hiding it in a piece of bacon or smashing some cheese around the bits if he starts resisting. The liquid is much easier to hide. He really needs some moisturized air too, a steamy bathroom or the vaporizer near him. With the antibiotic, he should start getting better in a few days.