Sensitive to Being petted

fussykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about 10 years old, she is very loving and verbal, but recently she has become very sensitive to being petted down her back, and complains she also is grooming herself in this area like crazy. I have never seen a flea, but I am thinking about getting some Flea medicine. She is an indoor cat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Since you mentioned your cat is 10 yrs. old, although not at all elderly, she would be starting her senior years and may be having some back problems due to arthritis. Before buying flea meds you may want to consult with your vet to see if it's something physical or not. This Article may have some helpful information for you about what to expect as your cat ages:
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – TheCatSite Articles

BTW, what is your cat's name? Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You can do a flea combing just to try to rule out fleas. If you don't see any fleas during the flea combing process, don't stop there. Take some soapy water and dip the comb into it after each stroke, then wipe the comb off on a paper towel. If the paper towel tuns pinkish - that is blood from your cat that has been excreted by the fleas. Also, look for small dirt specks in the water and on the towel - that is flea poop.

Arthritis is hard to diagnose, but an x-ray of her spine and legs might show it up. Supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels are very helpful in alleviating some of the symptoms associated with arthritis. It seems the most common ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin. There is also one I had success with giving to Feeby for at least a couple of years before she grew tired of the taste - Glyco Flex Plus, which contains all three of the ingredients mentioned above. She was limping when I started the supplement and within just 2-3 weeks, the limp went away.

I did have x-rays done to confirm the arthritis.

Cate1124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You can do a flea combing just to try to rule out fleas. If you don't see any fleas during the flea combing process, don't stop there. Take some soapy water and dip the comb into it after each stroke, then wipe the comb off on a paper towel. If the paper towel tuns pinkish - that is blood from your cat that has been excreted by the fleas. Also, look for small dirt specks in the water and on the towel - that is flea poop.

Arthritis is hard to diagnose, but an x-ray of her spine and legs might show it up. Supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels are very helpful in alleviating some of the symptoms associated with arthritis. It seems the most common ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin. There is also one I had success with giving to Feeby for at least a couple of years before she grew tired of the taste - Glyco Flex Plus, which contains all three of the ingredients mentioned above. She was limping when I started the supplement and within just 2-3 weeks, the limp went away.

I did have x-rays done to confirm the arthritis.
My cat is about 10 years old, she is very loving and verbal, but recently she has become very sensitive to being petted down her back, and complains she also is grooming herself in this area like crazy. I have never seen a flea, but I am thinking about getting some Flea medicine. She is an indoor cat.
I think folks are right in leaning toward arthritis, given that she's an indoor cat and you're seeing sensitivity rather than scratching or biting. You can treat "as if" for arthritis by using a product like Dasuquin for cats, sprinkled on food, which my vet recommended and which seemed to help my boy as he got older. It's non-RX, inexpensive (check Amazon or Chewy), and would sidestep (your) expense and (her) discomfort at an xray or other diagnostic procedure, which you could pursue if the Dasuquin does not help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fussykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for the replies, I have decided to try a Flea and Tick preventatives after finding little black specs where she sits in her window ledge. When wiping the area with Clorox wipes, I found they turn reddish brown, which could be her blood that the Fleas are feasting on. I didn't think it was fleas because she is a strictly indoor cat and I still have not seen a flea. I am investigating on which brand is the safest for my Amethyst and still give her some relief.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
F fussykat I really would consider the arthritis idea. My boy grooms himself constantly when he has arthritic pain and it has lessened since he's been on medication for it.

fussykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will look into the arthritis idea also Thank you

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an inside only kitty that would get sensitive back. We would see some dander and though it was dry skin. Come to find out, she is sensitive to fleas, and she had fleas after closer inspection. We thought she was flea free. Surprise. The vet said fleas have a sticky substance on their feet that stays on the skin of the animal for a long time. Getting rid of the fleas helped her tremendously.

fussykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I got some Advantage for Amethyst and the difference is amazing. She is back to her sweet self and I cleaned up dead fleas and their droppings. This stuff does exactly what it says. I hate that these fleas got to her even when she is and always has been a inside cat. I think I know how they got to her though, a friend has a little dog that she would bring for a visit and Amethyst would allow him in her house and probably brought her some baggage. Thank you everyone for your help.