Sensitive stomach - possible causes and possible foods

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, quick context, tough you have probably seen it from other threads.

Yesterday we brought our new cat, Soshi home. In the shelter they told us he has a sensitive stomach, so he could be prone to diarrhea.

In the shelter they gave him IAMS (EN?) and for him we bought a small bag of Purina ONE Sensitive. not the best, i know but I trust more Purina than Hills.

This morning his litterbox looked ok, but of course is too soon to know how he reacted to the new food. So I wanted to ask.

Which are the most common causes of sensitive stomach in cats? I've read about the carragenean, and some flavors (fish most of the time), is there anything else we should look for?

Also, what would you recommend to feed him? Our resident furry eats Friskies Pate and a splash of BB Wilderness dry to fill his calorie intake and I'd love to switch Soshi to wet food, but our budget is not that good for now, in a couple of months will be better but until October we're a bit restricted.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help! Though it looke like for now we won't be needing special foods.

Soshi has been eating Akodo's friskies wet food without us noticing (we saw him yesterday) and we have not founf any signs of stomach problems in the litter. Also no smelly gases so it looks like that at least that ones are ok, which makes me wonder what were feeding him to think he could be sensitive if Friskies does not give him problems.

In any case, when they finish the sensitive grain we bought for him we plan to switch to Sheba maybe, has a bit more flavor variety and the ingrdients look better. Also, is still within our budget and we want to try to feed them both the same food :)

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's really good news!  It's possible Soshi is prone to the occasional bout of diarrhea and she'll be problem-free for most of her life.  Sometimes cats w/ sensitive stomachs are reactive to stress and can get poopy, or it can come on for no apparent reason.  You just go with the flow and feed them a bland or LID diet to see if it resolves.  Having a vet for your kitty is a wise idea because changing their diet isn't enough.  My mom has a border collie with this type of sensitive stomach.  She does well on Blue Buffalo grain-free, but once in a blue moon she gets diarrhea and usually it's because she got a vaccination, or it's a reaction to her heart worm treatment, or because they let her eat too many dog treats and grains are a problem for her.  Then she goes on plain chicken and rice for a few days and she's back to normal.  But she did have a long bout of diarrhea from a combo vaccine and that required adding Tylan to her food for a month.  Poor girl!   Probiotics help her, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we found that Soshi at least does not tolerate the BB wilderness grain, we had a small accident thankfully on the vinyl floor and not on carpet :)

He's still eating friskies, he actually devours them

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering it it may be related to a chicken allergy? I am aksing because, eventhough it was another issue completely. I have found a world of difference in my guy since I took away all chicken containing food. 

I never realized chicken allergies were so widespread in cats.

Just something you could try. or think of--

I would just watch and see if Soshi has an accident after eating chicken. Then you know that could be the culprit..

Good Luck