Senior Semi Feral Is Soon Leaving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, thank you for the picture. What a wonderful cat :vibes::heartshape:

Just in case this helps for the future/your other kitties, in case you aren't familiar;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets
I may have to keep those links close because the vet here is a POS if ever there was one! He puts the money above the animals and jacks up his prices because he's the only one around. (There used to be charities and organizations to help but because people took advantage, they'll only help if you surrender your animal(s) to the SPCA for a $50 abandonment fee.) He cost me the life of my first guinea pig (refused to give me the resources for the guinea pig adoption place/laughed and hung up on me when asked) and shamed us when we had our last dog PTS because he had been poisoned. (Someone gave him antifreeze laced treats right before a 4 day snowstorm hit so we *couldn't* get to the vet because power and roads were out for a week.)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good we do, the love we let ourselves feel and extend to others, is a bandage against the evil surrounding us. Your dear dog knew you loved him and did everything you could do to help him. There will be no stars for that vet's crown.

There will be for yours, which will make it more fun when you and those who went before you play Frisbee with it among the clouds.

I have to believe in ultimate justice, because it makes sense, and Nature and the Universe, though hard are logical.

:grouphug:

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hope the dog did understand that. It still haunts me that there's a chance he didn't understand and thought we were letting him suffer.

A lot of people who knew the dog feared him because he was a pitbull cross. Meanwhile, he was afraid of mice. Don't let that make you think he was a wuss. He was far from and protective as anything over me. He just wasn't mean.

Just shy of a year after getting him, someone broke into our shed and the police and their K9 units couldn't find the guys. My mom handed them some treats and told them to get 'their weaponized mutts' off our land and she'd go get my dog and that the treats were to stop him from seeing the cops as a threat. (He knew I feared men, people in authoritative roles and actively encouraged him to keep said people away from me esp off our land.)

She didn't have him on his leash for 15 seconds and he caught the getaway driver trying to jump the fence leading to the nearby church. The guy was arrested and the cops didn't even thank us. Just said to keep my dog on his leash. He also stopped a kidnap attempt on me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor old boy...your cat AND your dog, come to think of it.

I wish for him a gentle and safe passage from This Adventure to The Next Adventure. I wish for you comfort in knowing that you did all you could, and eased him on his way with love.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor old boy...your cat AND your dog, come to think of it.

I wish for him a gentle and safe passage from This Adventure to The Next Adventure. I wish for you comfort in knowing that you did all you could, and eased him on his way with love.
Thanks! Due to sudden plumbing issues, we couldn't get him to the vet and he won't set another appointment because of the 'puppy/kitten boom' where everyone wants to get the surprise animals checked before the holidays.

So, the cat is still with us. And, he seem to have improved. (Using the litter more often, no blood that we notice, eating more.) So, right now, he WILL see Christmas. However, if he gets bad again, we'll be demanding vet services.

We also got a real tree and he's like a kitten again; purring, chewing on the softer branches, rubbing all over it... he's been sleeping under it as well. (Come to think of it, we had a real tree almost every year as a kid; and he loved it then, too.)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'm so happy that it looks as if he will see another Christmas, and that he is enjoying "his" Christmas tree! YOU GO, OLD MAN! We're rooting for you!

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so happy that it looks as if he will see another Christmas, and that he is enjoying "his" Christmas tree! YOU GO, OLD MAN! We're rooting for you!
Yeah we're all pretty happy! I think he knows his time is almost up though. (He DOES have issues that are slowly catching up to him.) He's gotten a lot nicer the last few years but today, he came over to me, wrapped his front legs around my thigh and just laid his head on it and I swear I sat frozen, petting him for an hour because he fell asleep.

Though we currently have no washer because right after the water tank was installed, the pressure of the water going back through the house caused the hose to break; flooding the laundry room AND kitchen.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's just...precious. And now you have a little time to make more of those sweet memories. However long it may be, it is a gift to all of you.

Sorry about the washer. Been there, done that. Not quite the same reason, but the end result was the same.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's just...precious. And now you have a little time to make more of those sweet memories. However long it may be, it is a gift to all of you.

Sorry about the washer. Been there, done that. Not quite the same reason, but the end result was the same.
Yeah and I am thankful! I may never take another feral cat but he sure taught me to appreciate them!

Thankfully I have no issue with doing it by hand. (Or at least the important things.) Still. We just spent over 1000 dollars to fix the water tank. Now this.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there some rule that says that major appliances MUST break down during a) holidays; b) family crises; or c) when a wedding must be paid for???

Yes, ferals are amazing. Most people think they can't ever become housecats. That's very wrong, but you have to be in it for the long haul.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there some rule that says that major appliances MUST break down during a) holidays; b) family crises; or c) when a wedding must be paid for???

Yes, ferals are amazing. Most people think they can't ever become housecats. That's very wrong, but you have to be in it for the long haul.

I think so as it's the only stereotypical 'if it can happen it will' thing that I know actually happens.

Trust me, I still believe they shouldn't be housecats! (But only if they're not my cats. Other peoples cats are an issue for me.) And, I am sure that if mine had not realized we had a fire and all the warm milk he can drink, he probably never would have warmed up to us. Buuut he's a sook so....