Senior raw fed cat in trouble

elDieste

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello-

This is a long read, part confessional, so pardon in advance please.

Chloe is a 12, almost 13yo black DSH. She has been raw fed since she was brought home as a kitten. I was brought into the raw feeding world by my ex-wife who was the true disciple of it. I got to do much of the knife work, cutting five or six proteins was fine by me as the animals were thriving. When we split, she took three of the four pets leaving me to take over for Chloe. I was not going to try to change her diet with the upheaval in her life(loss of all her animal friends), so I got to be Lead Raw Feeder now. I knew I had to buy chicken, pork, beef, fish, and turkey, cut it up, throw in a liver and thigh bone every now and then.

It has been years since then, and things were going quite fine until recently. Thick coat, normal stools, clean teeth, clear eyes, good energy, etc etc. Chloe ate without complaint, never needed the vet, possibly even a bit chubby but never fat. I was probably a bit soft on her compared to the previous regime. She didn’t like something; I dropped the subject. OK, fish is no good anymore, how is more beef? Her diet gradually became more limited, but she always ate.

I started to experiment with commercial raw food hoping for more variety. It was always the same - accepted at first sometimes with real relish, then to eh I will eat some, and finally transitioning to yeah nah I am not eating this. Me being the softy said fine back to beef and pork and chicken. Thigh bones started to get cleaned but not eaten, liver ignored. She started dropping weight, her previously thick jet black coat started turning brown and balding spots started appearing.

And we finally hit crisis. After she had a bout of severe food aversion, she managed to make herself quite sick - yellowed eyes and everything. She spent three days at the vet with an IV in her arm, being force fed soft food with a plastic syringe in a place she had never been. I could not visit because of the lockdown. She came back with no diagnosis and absolutely wired on steroids.

She hates canned food, which I think she associates with her time in lockup. She won't touch kibble as I don’t even know if she sees it as food. Beef is off the menu, pork tenderloin and chicken are fine. She gets 50 grams in the morning and 50 at night. She will still eat a thigh bone. Forget liver. She has been vomiting 3-4 times a week very smelly, very yellow with chunks of what looks like white fat in it. Stools look normal, urine normal but darker yellow, water intake maybe up a bit.

After poking around on the site it is plain to me she is in severe vitamin/macro deficiency, and we are now pretty clearly heading down the same path. The hair on her arm is not growing back, she is turning more brown, and lethargy is kicking in. I really need some advice here.

I see there are several powders available I can mix into the food she is actually eating. Does anyone have any experience on which would be most palatable/least obvious taste wise? I am willing to cook anything, mix anything, buy anything, try anything. I have failed her, and I really need to fix her.

Alnutrin: Alnutrin® supplement
Know Better Pet Food: Better in the Raw®
TCFeline: TCFeline® Premix.
Wysong: Call of the Wild® powder.

Thank you in advance,
Erik

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if all she's getting is cut meat with a bit of liver and bone she's definitely lacking in nutrients. Any of those pre-mixed powders will work, just make sure you aren't adding too much or too little.

This site has a lot of info on raw food, and what to do/what not to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might want to call the vet and ask if some sort of IV with the proper vitamins/supplements is a possibility and if it would help speed up the process of getting some much need nutrients into her system. I don't know if that is even possible, but it sure couldn't hurt to ask.

FrancineE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alnutrin: Alnutrin® supplement
Know Better Pet Food: Better in the Raw®
TCFeline: TCFeline® Premix.
Wysong: Call of the Wild® powder.

Thank you in advance,
Erik
My 20 YO gets subQ fluids, and for a time, the vet had me add a vit B injectable to her fluid. Perhaps you might ask the vet if specific vitamins would be beneficial, you can do that at home rather than bringing her to the vet each week.

Cats need primarily protein, but also other nutrients. A more holistic vet may run a test with hair, to see what the levels are in her body,and then make suggestions to get her back on track.

Have you had any success with the fur issue? My cat is losing so much every day, he still has fur, but the amount of shedding is astronomical! Please let me know!

Stick with it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EZ Complete will be the easiest for you as it already has liver powder and calcium supplement. With EZ Complete, you’ll just add meat, mix, and water. You won’t have to worry about the liver or the thigh bone. Best of all, you can balance it down to a single portion. This will make trying different proteins easier without having to make full batches.

If you use another powder which requires the addition of liver, a meat grinder (or a food processor) will be best for mixing the liver into the meat. (Grind frozen or mostly frozen if you don’t want it all to mush up into pink slime.) Alnutrin is probably the most flavor neutral of them. My picky angel Krista never minded the Alnutrin. She wasn’t a fan of liver by itself. But when I ground it with the meat she liked, she ate the mix with no argument. A Weston #10 manual meat grinder for about $30 on Amazon is a good place to start. You don’t have to drop hundreds on an electric grinder until you’re sure Chloe will eat your final product. You’ll appreciate an electric grinder more after you’ve used a manual a few times. You won’t be grinding bone with a manual grinder. So if you go this route, get a premix that includes a calcium supplement like Alnutrin with eggshell calcium.

I couldn’t find the Weston #10. This is very similar.
CucinaPro 265-08 Healthy Meat Grinder - #8 Amazon.com: CucinaPro 265-08 Healthy Meat Grinder - #8: Kitchen & Dining