Senior kitty panics every time I leave

adabraselton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
About a month ago, I adopted a pair of bonded senior cats from an animal shelter. They have adjusted well to their new home and having me as their new person. Unfortunately, their story is somewhat sad. They had a comfortable home for most of their lives, but their previous owner had to go into assisted living and had to surrender the cats. They spent several months in a no-kill shelter until I met and adopted them. My issue is that one of the cats has gotten supper attached and clingy. I don’t mind having him by my side when I am home however, anytime I get ready to leave and run an errand, the cat goes into a state of panic. Right now, I still work from home due to the pandemic, but am slated to return to the office in a couple of months. I am very worried how my cat is going to react to me being gone for most of the day. I currently try to make an effort each day to leave my home for a little while to show my cat that I will always come home, but he is still having panic episodes. I’m looking for advise on how I can get him prepared for my return to work. Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting these two. I am wondering if the panic is more related to your activities of leaving rather than you being gone. They have probably experienced the commotion of the packing up of their household, strangers being in, being picked up and put into carriers etc. So I can see where comings and going’s might cause them great anxiety. I think in any case the answer is to prepare to leave as slowly and quietly as possible, distract them with breakfast or a treat and slip out the door. It may also help you to have a video camera set up so you can see what happens after you leave. If they settle down in minutes then I wouldn’t worry about them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It's only been a month, so things could settle down for him once he has been with you longer. I think the video camera of what is going on after you leave the house would be a great idea, and will help you to develop ideas about how to handle this cat's insecurities depending on what you see. If he calms down quickly after you leave, you could try the 'sneaking out' technique - but, keep the camera on if you do this to see what happens once he realizes you are gone. You may have to change tactics if he freaks out once he figures out you have left.

You could try calming diffusers, cat music, a heartbeat toy/ticking clock - all things that can help a cat to relax. You may also consider leaving worn unwashed clothing of yours around where he hangs out so that he can smell your scent while you are gone. Treats with cuddle time, and any or all of the above, before you leave, followed up with more treats and more cuddle time when you return might help after a period of time - in order for him to recognize the routine. Most cats, especially seniors, do better with routines.