Senior foster suddenly hiding....sick/scared or both?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We picked up Scarlet to foster 3 weeks ago. She had been riding in a crate for 11 hours, so when we got her, she was understandably upset (hissing and growling). Just a few minutes out of the crate, in the bedroom she's staying in, she started rubbing against us and meowing. All was well.

She's such a wonderful cat - not scared of us at all, likes head rubs and rubbing against everything, she sleeps with me on the bed, etc. The one thing that struck me immediately, though, is that she just didn't eat as much as other cats. Yes, I would see the dry food bowl go down, yes, she would lick the gravy from wet food (and get bits of the meat), yes, she drank a ton and used the litter box (both poo and pee). However, about 4 days ago, she stopped eating completely. Would walk away from anything I offered - and I tried a TON of different things. I even bought 4 varieties of dry food and put them throughout the room -- nothing.

Of course I've been keeping the shelter informed, and by yesterday, they had me bring her in (she's lost 1 pound already). She was at the shelter (vet checkup) for almost the whole day. My next instructions are to force feed her with AD recovery food for the next few days and take her in for followup on Monday (they did blood work and it should be back by then). I was initially scared to force feed but with a sudden boost of confidence (and watching YouTube videos), I took her into the bathroom, swaddled her, and got 2 full syringes of AD into her before she was just DONE. She was definitely not happy after that and went hiding under the bed.

My kids were in her room a few hours later, and they said she DID come out, walk around the room, look out the window, and jump on the bed with them. However, when I'm in there now , she's always under the bed. I spent a lot of the evening in there, and slept in there and still didn't see her come out except for briefly to use the litter box in the middle of the night....she didn't even sleep on the bed (which she's done ever since we got her). This is concerning for a couple of reasons: 1) I still have to force feed her through the weekend, but if we have to "chase" her out from under the bed, that ups the stress level for everyone; 2) what if the reason she's hiding is that she's sicker than we think?; 3) After a weekend of force feeding and a followup back at the shelter (where I'm sure she'll be there all day), will she every return to that happy-go-lucky cat that we got three weeks ago?

So I guess my MAIN question is how to get her out from under the bed? I don't really have the luxury of "giving it time"....I need to feed her twice today. So let's start there. Obviously I want to TRY and do it as gently as possible....Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
On her behalf I hate to say this because its her safe spot, but I think you may need to block her access to the areas under the bed, since as you mentioned, getting her out is more stress.

Due to her behavior with the kids, I'm not a vet but i think her shyness is due to the handfeeding.

She'll come back around to being more comfortable with you :).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have ate in the beginning because she was scared and had to, but maybe after she felt more at home she misses her old food.I would try different kinds, etc. Dry if she prefers, until she's better. I get Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors and cats seem to love that. Its in the treat section at Wal-Mart , Target, Amazon,and Dollar General. You can always donate any unused food to a farm on Facebook.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think it is a good point to try feeding her whatever she was eating previously, if you can find that out. There are numerous other foods you can try as well just to see if you can get her eating again. Force feeding the AD has probably just ensured she won't eat it willingly even if she starts eating other food. However, if you can jump start her eating, you might be able to mix some AD with whatever she is willing to eat to help with calories. Here are some things to try:
  • Baby food meats – make sure it doesn’t contain any garlic or onions (Gerber Stage 2 and/or Beechnut)
  • Canned tuna or chicken in water
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • Chicken or turkey - deli meats
  • Rich kitten food
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken or any similar product
In addition to those, I have seen many cats will eat Tiki Cat Mousse too, so another thing to try. Lickable treats are not complete foods, but better than nothing to get her eating again - Applaws, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, to name just a few more than the one mentioned above. And, there are also nutritional pastes you could see if she would eat - those would help with extra calories. Hopefully, you can find any/all of these in one of your local pet stores.

I would get a number of these, and instead of dragging her out from the bed, place a few of them in front of her - or, get your kids to try to give her a dish/plate of one or more of them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: well, I didn't have to drag her out from under the bed (which I wouldn't do anyway), she came out willingly! I then proceeded to block off the bed with cardboard so she couldn't get under again.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions: and to be truthful, I tried many, many of those listed before we got to this point. I have at least 7 different kinds of dry food on hand (and in bowls around the room), and many more wet foods, plus stews, lickable treats, gravy-based foods, regular treats, broths, Tiki mousse, Tiki broths (food toppers), Purina Pro Plan, meat baby food, and others! Believe me, I've spent the entire three weeks she's been here trying to find SOMETHING that she likes and would eat.

Since she's a foster cat that came from a shelter in another state, I believe the ability to find out what she used to eat is ZERO. Now that she's out, I will of course keep trying! Thanks again!

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
On her behalf I hate to say this because its her safe spot, but I think you may need to block her access to the areas under the bed, since as you mentioned, getting her out is more stress.

Due to her behavior with the kids, I'm not a vet but i think her shyness is due to the handfeeding.

She'll come back around to being more comfortable with you :).
Thanks! And yes, all is well now. She doesn't like the handfeeding, but she did just hop up on the bed with me and watch a squirrel video....and I brushed her, and petted her and all seems well again. I mention in my update that under the bed is blocked off, but she still has plenty of places to hide and feel safe in the room. I have a laundry basket turned on its side with a blanket, and several catty-stacks around the room with blankets in them....

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may have ate in the beginning because she was scared and had to, but maybe after she felt more at home she misses her old food.I would try different kinds, etc. Dry if she prefers, until she's better. I get Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors and cats seem to love that. Its in the treat section at Wal-Mart , Target, Amazon,and Dollar General. You can always donate any unused food to a farm on Facebook.
Thanks for the reply - I'm definitely going to keep trying more, in addition to what I have already listed. And don't worry - any unused food goes to my resident cats or donated to the shelter I volunteer at. :)

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am probably being overly anxious since it has barely been more than 24 hours - but, just curious how things are going...
Hasn't eaten anything on her own yet - I'm handfeeding completely. The AD recovery is helping her at least maintain energy and focus - she's not as lethargic and unfocused as she was yesterday. She goes in tomorrow for a recheck and they will be focusing on her teeth and possible digestive issues. Hopefully blood work results will be in by then as well.

I've tried offering yet more food in different ways. I've also created a little "feeding station" (covered box) in case she's stressed about eating. I'm doing the best I can....

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Scarlet: she went in yesterday. Bloodwork was fine, everything else checked out ok. I was given more recovery food, plus an appetite stimulant. When we got home, after getting pets and being brushed, she used the litterbox and went straight over to the dry food and started eating. I was so happy! She also licked a lot of gravy off of some wet food, and drank a bunch.

I held off on all "interventions" yesterday because of that....no hand feeding, no appetite stimulant. Just decided to take a "wait and see" attitude. Today she didn't eat until afternoon - some nibbles of dry food, no wet. Still drinking. If she doesn't increase her intake by tomorrow, I'll probably try the appetite stimulant. I really just wish I knew why she's not interested in eating all that much....but I will continue to monitor, try different things, and keep my fingers crossed!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Scarlet: she went in yesterday. Bloodwork was fine, everything else checked out ok. I was given more recovery food, plus an appetite stimulant. When we got home, after getting pets and being brushed, she used the litterbox and went straight over to the dry food and started eating. I was so happy! She also licked a lot of gravy off of some wet food, and drank a bunch.

I held off on all "interventions" yesterday because of that....no hand feeding, no appetite stimulant. Just decided to take a "wait and see" attitude. Today she didn't eat until afternoon - some nibbles of dry food, no wet. Still drinking. If she doesn't increase her intake by tomorrow, I'll probably try the appetite stimulant. I really just wish I knew why she's not interested in eating all that much....but I will continue to monitor, try different things, and keep my fingers crossed!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a relief to read that Scarlett got a good report on her health! It sounds like it might be depression and grief and the best cures will be TLC and "Tincture of Time". I would love for her to find an awesome permanent family placement so she can stop worrying about "good bye". At least she is meeting new "aunties and uncles" to shower with love and protection so she will know that she is not alone :petcat:

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's now eating again. Enough dry food to have me not worry - and licking gravy off of wet. I still wish I knew why the 1 week hunger strike, but at least, for now, she's back to what I consider her normal....