Senior cat wont eat wet looking for dry food information

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I
Thank you! Do you mind telling me which one you use? I'm tempted to try the wild boar because my cat goes crazy when I make bacon but he's also reliable with chicken.
Duck,quail and venison with pumpkin. They picked out the ones with fruit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was acting so hungry last night so I gave him a bit of dry food, not much but now today he’s acting sick 😞 acting like he wants to throw up and like his stomach hurts. He hasn’t had much dry food in about 6 months maybe getting just a small amount upset his system?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches does that almost every morning. Feeding her half her morning portion at 6am with a timer for wet then rest at 9am when I get u has helped

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good I'm glad that others have went thru the same thing because I was scared to death that I had hurt him by accident in some way. I've watched him all day long and he seems fine now just had a bit of stomach upset earlier.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update, I wanted to thank ya'll he's doing so much better today. No upset stomach, he used the litterbox with no issues today (that's a big deal around here LOL) and i'm trying him on some newer wet food that he seems to be actually liking (also a big deal) thanks again for all your help.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats loved the Farmina wild Boar and apple... Chicken with pomegranate not so much !

I would to find the venison and quail somewhere ?

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should try the wild boar with apple then....he's actually not that picky when it comes to dry (he considers it a really really great treat no matter what) but he has a sensitive stomach and I would hate to make it worse.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in Europe, so think we have the whole range.
I just ordered some duck and pumpkin along with other foods.

For the canned, my guys like the duck and pumpkin, quail & pumpkin, boar and apple + lamb and blueberry.
I think they were not as keen on the venison. I try to order proteins that are not as common to give more variety in their diet. So I only bought the chicken and pomegranate a few times.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered the wild boar and apple dry but wasn’t sure about the wet he’s not crazy about duck or venison (he’s old school loves turkey and chicken) I’m hoping he likes the wild boar because he’s a pork fiend. The pumpkin wet varieties are really intriguing me because pumpkin helps with constipation. I may get a couple cans and see how he likes them…..does farmila offer sample cans?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
L lomofirefly I actually meant the wild Boar and Apple wet food. I just wish it came in a larger can...

Can you get Stella & Chewy's (not related to Chewy's online) ? Chewy's has it though...
It is a freeze dried raw, comes in nuggets that you can add water to to soften the food.

My seniors love this food and they are getting additional water with the broth that forms. I get the 8 oz. bags. Two last me a week. They are expensive though...$19.99 per 8 oz. There are 3 oz bags that your kitty can try...I have 3 seniors on it, and a 4 yr old who "helps" me prepare it, so she can have some. Smokey 18 yrs. has actually put on some weight !

Sorry for the long winded story...just a suggestion😉

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried freeze dried raw but can it be heated up? He wasn’t a fan of it being cold.
I’ve ran into a constipation problem this morning. He’s on 3ml of lactulose twice a day but I’ve noticed he hasn’t been passing stool often and this morning he passed a small amount then threw up. Tbh the lactalose hasn’t been that helpful (he’s been on it about a year) I’m considering miralax.

it’s worrying me that he’s either not eating enough so the laxative won’t work or he’s actually constipated and it won’t work.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add that him being comstipated confuses me because he urinates fine and drinks all the time from his auto water bowl so surely he gets enough water?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use hot water to hydrate the freeze dried food. It softens faster that way. Then it is warm to eat. The food itself is not frozen it is dry nuggets.

Miralax does work well, just a little in each wet meal. 1/8 of a teaspoon if I remember correctly.. Sometimes they will work so hard at eliminating that it makes them throw up. I went through that with Maggie who had kidney disease.

I hope you find something that works well for him...
Good luck !

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) I started him on 1/8 teaspoon this morning of Miralax with his wet food (mixed with 1/4 tsp of water) he's been sleeping mostly today aside from getting up to eat some. This forum was right by the way Solid Gold is like kitty crack he loves his "treats"

Is it possible to feed both raw and wet? I was doing a bit of reading but got scared off because of the bones not settling well with some cats.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update after his second dose of Miralax tonight he was able to use the restroom with a little straining and no puking. He at first passed two smaller tiny pieces of stool followed by a much larger one. He seems to be tired but he's eating and drinking water. I also purchased him a second cat fountain to put in a different room it comes in tomorrow hoping to beef up the water intake even though he already drinks a lot.

Still working on trying to find a grain free wet food that he will like (he's a fancy feast and Friskies addict with of course no pate) but there has to be something out there. He does like Purina true nature chicken but the darn stuff is always sold out.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Farmina wet in a few varieties? What about Tiny Tiger?

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He wasn't happy with Farmina wet to tell you the truth I think he's addicted to "junk food" aka fancy feast and friskies there must be something in it that he absolutely loves because anything else I try other than purina true nature he sniffs and walks away from. I havent heard about Tiny Tiger but ill check it out for sure.

The Miralax worked but.....he seems very tired he's slept almost all day after taking it almost as if it knocks him out. I'm only giving him 1/8 tsp mixed with 1/4tsp of water in his food but he's napped all day long.