Senior cat with neck fungus

Stormyme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I have a 16 year old male cat that, for the last month in a half, has been dealing with a fungus on his neck. We have taken him to the vet and he gave us these Mal-A-Ket wipes to put on it twice a day. We have also been having to give him ear drops and flush his ears. It's a ritual everyday to do this and he is starting to hide from us and he is not feeling safe in his home. My concern is the fungus doesnt seem to be getting any better and its driving him nuts. He licks and scratches at it. I am afraid that we are causing him stress and his quality of life is not good. His brother passed away in March and his diet seemed to change, whether it was depression or his age, we changed his food from Friskies wet food to blue mountain and those lick em treats.
We have been taking him to the vet weekly and before his brother passed, he never saw a vet but once in his kitten years. I want this fungus gone and I am hoping you have some other remedies or advice to offer. I will be adding a screen shot of his neck to this thread. I dont have one yet, I am waiting for my battery to charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stormyme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: He is now laying down in his hooded litterbox. He has never done that before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn't worry about waiting for your battery to charge to take a pic; instead call the vet and tell them what is going on. Hiding because he doesn't like the treatment is one thing, but laying in his litter box is much more worrisome, especially with a cat that age. Please call the vet and see what they say, it is possible that they need to change his treatment regimen. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stormyme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention he has an appointment Monday. That was the soonest appointment they had. I was hoping for some advice on what I could do in the meantime.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try to apply a home remedy to help. Buy chamomile tea bags - any grocery store brand will do as they are German (you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and apply it to the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it is an anti-fungal/bacterial agent. It is also safe should your cat ingest any of it. Hope that helps some.

taraconnor777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU!my cat is eleven years old.she has got a slight scratching on her neck,since i have let her go out inna back yard during summer caus she HAS THE ANTI FLEA CAT med EVERY 3 month you rub in the back ,but she's been scratching her necik,im gonna get the chamomiile tea and use it on her.AND SHE MIGHT STOP ALLERGY .i have a indoor cat,i know she has allergies,me tooo.but going out in the backyard a little is the only thing left in her old kitty life she enjoys.SHE WANTS OUT AT NIGHT no way.BUT both me and my cat are old(i'm 74 ugh)all my friends are dead,we don't have much enjoyment left.So she gets out a little she needs it.SHE really needs it.I'M GOING OFF my diet,going to buy liicorice,i need that,ttoo,there aint much l have left either.