Senior Cat UTS and Kidney Infections

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Senior cat, 8 months of recurring UTIs and kidney infections. Some beginning kidney failure. Never been blocked.

He was seen at vet on Saturday. Given iv fluids and a convenia antibiotic injection. He seemed to improve, and passed urine.

I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can do to get the cat more comfortable.

He is passing urine, but smaller amounts than normal, more trips. Trying to pee in places he shouldn't as well, and I have had to clean up some accidents this morning. He seems less comfortable than usual.

I have given some d-mannose and some cranberry extract as well.

Is there anything else I can do for right now?
Would giving distilled water in a syringe help?
Is there anything you do for your cats to make them more comfortable?

Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI! Is he drinking water on his own? If so, maybe don't give any extra, and probably not distilled - maybe spring water.

Try some cat music - it can be surprisingly helpful in getting a cat to relax. Spotify and youtube are a couple of sources :)
Maybe tomorrow you could double-check with your vet as to how things are going for him :vibes::heartshape:

Did the vet say why this is going on? Is he eating canned food?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a search on cornsilk extract. It helps to soothe the bladder and reduce inflammation. Also D mannose to help prevent UTI's.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't help much, but do want to ask you if the vet did a urine culture as well as a urinalysis. The culture will determine the most effective antibiotic to treat the UTI. While most any antibiotic will curtail the UTI to a degree, they will not eradicate it. That might be why the UTIs have been ongoing for this many months. If he has had Covenia injections before, you probably already know that it is usually expected to stay in the body for about 2 weeks, so it could be a few more days before you begin to see some relief for him.

Pure D-mannose is a good product to give ongoingly to help ward off UTIs, but won't help to eradicate an infection once it occurs. My vet also said cranberry is pretty much worthless.

Hopefully he is eating and drinking well, and you will see some improvement soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has an advanced case of squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. Just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago.

He also has KD, and a thickening of his bladder, leading urine issues and blood in urine. The vet says that his urine issue will probably flare up again.

He's lost some weight, but he is still eating and drinking.
The vet said that I should consider putting him down soon.
Right now he seems to sometimes be uncomfortable, and his mouth bleeds on occasion.

I'm having to give him pills related the urine issue and I'm concerned I'm hurting him, but I don't know I should letting him go. He's putting quite a fight to the pills, but they were helping.

He still likes cuddles and pets.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'd have to ask.
Not sure, either way I'm not sure if he's suffering or not.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And now he just tried to peed in an inappropriate place again.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just called lap of love to see about euthanasia, since the cet recommended it, but the price was more than 500.00 for it.
I can't afford it right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have my heart and all my hugs!

I just called lap of love
Are you where there are veterinarians who do at home visits who might also handle this? Keep talking to people and checking around, Nextdoor might also provide a source for a less expensive visit.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have my heart and all my hugs!

Are you where there are veterinarians who do at home visits who might also handle this? Keep talking to people and checking around, Nextdoor might also provide a source for a less expensive visit.
I found a couple, that I can take him to. I'll have see if anyone does an at home option.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do think anyone on this site knows if the mouth cancer is painful for him? I can't tell.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do think anyone on this site knows if the mouth cancer is painful for him? I can't tell.
I didn't get a biopsy done, because two different vets agreed that it looked like squamous cell carcinoma.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are challening and difficult to know in this regard, but I think he wouldn't be eating or drinking if it was hurting.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are challening and difficult to know in this regard, but I think he wouldn't be eating or drinking if it was hurting.
Besides the peeing issue, he acts normally. He just sometimes holds his face in an odd position, or his tonge hanges out to the side. But when he sleeps, he looks very peaceful.