Senior cat peeing outside litter box!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find the Forti Flora - but the health store nearby is ordering it for me. How is your cat doing? The Vet wants me to keep on monitoring her to see if the pain med will alleviate her pain and make her feel better. She ate a little bit this morning.
I'm glad she ate a little. Lulu only ate half of hers. Is Panda on Gabapentin? My problem is that it makes her sleep and when she's sleepy, she won't eat. If I try to feed her before I give it, she won't eat because she has pain. Catch 22 situation. It sounds like your vet isn't considering it to be an emergency situation. I've been told to keep a daily weight record and continue with the pain meds. I just follow her around for a couple of hours and keep putting the food in front of her. She will nibble a bit and then go back to sleep. It is frustrating.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked back in, and reading through everything again FeebysOwner made a very good point twice : ‘X-RAYS. There wasn’t a full confirmation of arthritis or a full blood test. The Vet has only made a general diagnosis which I’m pretty sure is correct, it’s just arthritis is an umbrella term which covers a lot of different variations, with a lot of different symptoms.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although Forti Flora is labeled as a probiotic, it really only contains one kind of 'good' bacteria strain. It really is used much more often as a flavor enhancer to foods. So, if you are looking for it to help get your cat to eat, it is probably the best out there.

If you are looking for a more 'potent' probiotic, for general gut health, getting something that contains multiple bacteria strains would be more beneficial. I haven't used any, so other members would have to offer product recommendations.

If you are looking for a probiotic to help offset diarrhea that can be brought on by many antibiotics, as well as other medications, the best would be S. Boulardii. It is yeast based so it is not affected by antibiotics like many of the other probiotics can be.

I don't know anything about Metacam other than it is an anti-inflammatory. I mentioned other 'treatments' to help with arthritis in an earlier post in this thread; so, I won't repeat myself.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Thanks everyone for the insightful replies. I haven't been able to answer back fast - due to internet issues. There is some construction going on near me which is the cause. Here's an update about Panda. I did get the senior litter box - which Panda seems to love. It's twice the size and one side is lower - so getting in and out is very easy. So - no peeing spilling outside the box - although she did that only about 3 times but hasn't done that in weeks. So the new box is a success. She had to be off all meds for one whole week and during that week she was moving around a lot, playing with the pup, but still not much of an appetite. Then I was to put her back on metacam and after 8 days, I haven't noticed any change and I'm home all the time - so I'd notice. She's moving around a lot (she's 14 years old) but still not much of an appetite. Her weight has dropped about a pound in a month. And I know metacam can make them not want to eat. So - right now the only issue is a lack of appetite. She is eating something every day - just not a lot. So I'm going to talk to the Vet again. He physically examined her, asked lots of questions, and figured it was arthritis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I personally am really concerned about you continuing to see this vet. I realize that it's up to us to monitor both our own health and that of our cats, but for your vet to prescribe a med that is known to interact badly with a steroid, which I'm assuming s/he also prescribed and even if not (different vets working at one clinic for example) that information should be/better be in her medical history documentation, is outrageous to me and absolutely should not be condoned by you, firstly taking the responsibility on yourself, and secondly by returning to this vet.

Xrays have been mentioned in this thread, as have other med choices for arthritis yet unless I missed it, I'm not seeing that you've talked to the vet about them, or even more importantly that the vet has talked to you about any of these options.

You really need to go to a different vet for your cat, which by the way, isn't old at 14. Her weight loss is extremely worrisome, and I would be remiss if I didn't express my thought (no I'm not a vet) that it's due to more than the metacam.

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your internet, that can be frustrating.

That's is good news about the litter box, I'm glad it's working for her. She is back on the Metacam now then? Did they just take her off to see if there was any difference? You didn't say if you'd tried the Forti Flora yet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has her mouth been checked by an x-ray? A physical look alone can not diagnose root deterioration. Nobel had a cracked tooth. We don't know for how long as our former vet told me a look was okay. He never suggested an x-ray. The new clinic did a cleaning and x-ray and found two cracked teeth. He was still playing and eating, even dry food. The Importance of Dental X-rays in Cats
Before surgery they gave me a high estimate of 6 to 8 tooth removals but actually he only needed those 2 done.

Metacam can cause lowered appetite and nausea but when taken with food it should not impact too badly.

Metacam is not a long-term solution for arthritis, as unfortunately it impacts liver and kidney function. Your cat will need bloodwork and urinalysis every 3 months on that medication. (Nobel was on it for years, off and on)

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks everyone,
Hi - I personally am really concerned about you continuing to see this vet. I realize that it's up to us to monitor both our own health and that of our cats, but for your vet to prescribe a med that is known to interact badly with a steroid, which I'm assuming s/he also prescribed and even if not (different vets working at one clinic for example) that information should be/better be in her medical history documentation, is outrageous to me and absolutely should not be condoned by you, firstly taking the responsibility on yourself, and secondly by returning to this vet.

Xrays have been mentioned in this thread, as have other med choices for arthritis yet unless I missed it, I'm not seeing that you've talked to the vet about them, or even more importantly that the vet has talked to you about any of these options.

You really need to go to a different vet for your cat, which by the way, isn't old at 14. Her weight loss is extremely worrisome, and I would be remiss if I didn't express my thought (no I'm not a vet) that it's due to more than the metacam.
Thanks for your concern. I know my Vet made an error - and a serious one - but I have also been going to him for 14 years. I had a sickly dog who this Vet helped enormously and he managed to live to almost 13, even though he had serious heart disease diagnosed at 7 years. The Vet wasn't ruling out anything. He asked me a ton of questions, examined him, and felt it was arthritis. He wanted Panda to be on the metacam for 2 weeks to see if it made any difference. He otherwise felt Panda seemed healthy. But then there was the mess up with the meds, so Panda had to be off all meds for one week. So she had been back on metacam for over a week and there is no difference. Her eating habits have always been out of whack. When I was taking care of Panda's owner, I noticed Panda went through weeks of eating everything in sight, then periods where she ate little. This was at the owner's place. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to discuss Panda's habits because the owner was diagnosed and passed away within 6 weeks and the family was just going to put the cat down. She also had a lump on her abdomen removed 7 months ago, that was a cyst. So since the metacam is making no difference, I'll be going back for more tests.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your internet, that can be frustrating.

That's is good news about the litter box, I'm glad it's working for her. She is back on the Metacam now then? Did they just take her off to see if there was any difference? You didn't say if you'd tried the Forti Flora yet.
Hi there - the health food story ordered the Forti Flora and it hasn't arrived yet. The litter box is fantastic. Yes, she's back on metacam. She was supposed to be on it for 2 weeks to see if it made a difference, but had to be off it for one whole week due to a mix up of meds. So has been back on it for almost 2 weeks and it's made no difference. So Panda will be going for more tests.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has her mouth been checked by an x-ray? A physical look alone can not diagnose root deterioration. Nobel had a cracked tooth. We don't know for how long as our former vet told me a look was okay. He never suggested an x-ray. The new clinic did a cleaning and x-ray and found two cracked teeth. He was still playing and eating, even dry food. The Importance of Dental X-rays in Cats
Before surgery they gave me a high estimate of 6 to 8 tooth removals but actually he only needed those 2 done.

Metacam can cause lowered appetite and nausea but when taken with food it should not impact too badly.

Metacam is not a long-term solution for arthritis, as unfortunately it impacts liver and kidney function. Your cat will need bloodwork and urinalysis every 3 months on that medication. (Nobel was on it for years, off and on)
Thanks. Panda's teeth have been checked several times and they're fine. Her main symptoms were a lack of appetite and then she was peeing over the litter box - three times she did this. Her eating habits have always been confusing. I mentioned in another reply here that when I was caring for her owner - who died suddenly - I noticed Panda ate a lot at times, then very little - and it was a cycle. I've had her for over a year and she continued that cycle. But I was worried when she started peeing over the litter box. The Vet thought it was arthritis and wanted to see if the Metacam made a difference - it didn't - so there will be more tests. She's never been a 'well' cat and was given food and love by her previous owner but never taken to the Vet. So she's a bit of a mystery to me in terms of her habits. But I love her and she'll get more tests done.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I wondered if the teeth had been checked by X-ray, not just checked.

I'm not ignoring your story, I'm asking a more specific question 🤪

An issue at the root level could cause lack of appetite and urinary issues. Cats clean their private areas with their mouths, so infection can transfer from mouth to bladder.

Be cautious too. In older cat, dental issues progress quickly. At one x-ray Nobel's teeth were fine. 8 months later he had dental disease with bone regression. That's with brushing every other day.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wondered if the teeth had been checked by X-ray, not just checked.

I'm not ignoring your story, I'm asking a more specific question 🤪

An issue at the root level could cause lack of appetite and urinary issues. Cats clean their private areas with their mouths, so infection can transfer from mouth to bladder.

Be cautious too. In older cat, dental issues progress quickly. At one x-ray Nobel's teeth were fine. 8 months later he had dental disease with bone regression. That's with brushing every other day.
Thanks. I have an appt. tomorrow at the Vet's. There has been no x-ray of the teeth. Panda has never been to a Vet except in the last few months of her own owner's passing and I took her. She had never been 'fixed' and she was very ill and had to be spayed - she had a severe infection and almost passed away. I've had her a little over a year and she's been to the Vet's frequently for check-ups and she also had surgery to remove a lump on her abdomen about 7 months ago. So even though she's 14 - she's has no history at the Vet's - except in the past year and a half or so. Her teeth have always been fine - he was checking them a few weeks ago when I was there. My guess is bloodwork will be done next and in time we can narrow it down to see why she's not eating much. Anyhow, one day at a time and I'm making sure she has lots of loving.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. I have an appt. tomorrow at the Vet's. There has been no x-ray of the teeth. Panda has never been to a Vet except in the last few months of her own owner's passing and I took her.

That's a very difficult situation to be in for sure. And it sounds like you've already spent a lot of money to help her be more comfortable and healthy. I really commend you for that.

I have no doubt she was loved then and is loved by you now. No doubt. Education about cat health is just low. Many people think they don't need vet care regularly.

Please know we are all coming from a place to wanting to help and educate ourselves and others.

I hope you'll take the time to read this link: The Importance of Dental X-rays in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital

Your vet cannot know if her teeth are fine without an x-ray. You cannot see in the mouth enough. And you cannot see under the gums to know if the root is rotting.

Our cats can't say they have pain like a person can. So we are left guessing at the where. But it's VERY common for a 14 year old cat who has NEVER been to the vet to need dental work. Common enough that I don't gamble but I'd be willing to bet all the money in my possession on it.

Another common issue in cats who have never had dental work is called Stomachitis. It causes bowel and stomach issues that can cause her appetite to swing wildly. The only mouth symptom can be mild redness and light plaque build up.

Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a very difficult situation to be in for sure. And it sounds like you've already spent a lot of money to help her be more comfortable and healthy. I really commend you for that.

I have no doubt she was loved then and is loved by you now. No doubt. Education about cat health is just low. Many people think they don't need vet care regularly.

Please know we are all coming from a place to wanting to help and educate ourselves and others.

I hope you'll take the time to read this link: The Importance of Dental X-rays in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital

Your vet cannot know if her teeth are fine without an x-ray. You cannot see in the mouth enough. And you cannot see under the gums to know if the root is rotting.

Our cats can't say they have pain like a person can. So we are left guessing at the where. But it's VERY common for a 14 year old cat who has NEVER been to the vet to need dental work. Common enough that I don't gamble but I'd be willing to bet all the money in my possession on it.

Another common issue in cats who have never had dental work is called Stomachitis. It causes bowel and stomach issues that can cause her appetite to swing wildly. The only mouth symptom can be mild redness and light plaque build up.

Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital
Thanks. I did read about the dental x-rays. To be honest, it has been tough. I've known Panda's owner for about 6 years but never knew Panda. He didn't like people in his apt. He got sick fast and passed away just as fast and I was helping him - so that's when I was around Panda for a while. She never left his side once. I'm allergic to cats but couldn't allow her to be put down as the family planned so she came to live with me a little over a year ago. Financially, it has been tough. Since she never had her nails cut, I have to take her to the Vet's, because she almost bit the groomer, which costs 3 times the amount at the groomer's. Her surgery was in the $1000.00's and several checkups have been expensive. I think that's why the Vet wanted to start her off on metacam to see if it's arthritis. Bloodwork is $450.00. I also got a pup - I'm a huge, huge dog lover and trainer. But I truly love Panda and she purrs every time I'm nearby and I brush her and hold her and she sits with me. I'm not going to let her suffer. I am overwhelmed by all the costs but I'll get by. My last dog was very sickly and his meds cost $1000.00 every six weeks so I have a feeling the Vet was trying to move from point A to B - due to extreme expenses. It is a shame Vet bills are so high but such is life. I'm happy I'm going tomorrow to see what can be done.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S SuzanneMarie I understand. It's difficult with the costs so high. And you had already done that big surgery.

Metacam alone here is $75 a vial. It was costing me $300 per month in vet bills with our old boy.

It didn't need to be that way, but I also had a vet not that diligent. Or didn't know how to diagnose cats efficiently.

The costs are around the same at my current vet, but since they know the right steps to take and when we can act conservatively with tests, it ends up costing me SO much less.

I wish a good cat vet for every cat and owner. In the meantime, people are here on this site to help narrow down what tests should be done and in what order to be most cost and time effective.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - the health food story ordered the Forti Flora and it hasn't arrived yet. The litter box is fantastic. Yes, she's back on metacam. She was supposed to be on it for 2 weeks to see if it made a difference, but had to be off it for one whole week due to a mix up of meds. So has been back on it for almost 2 weeks and it's made no difference. So Panda will be going for more tests.
Gotcha. I hope they are able to figure it out. Bless your heart for taking her in and doing everything that you can for her.