Senior cat peeing outside litter box!

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI there,

My cat is 14 years old and in the past couple of days I have found pee just outside the litter box. She is also peeing IN the litter box too. I haven't seen her doing it, but I am cleaning up urine at the edge of the box - IN the box - and also outside the box. So I am wondering if she is peeing close to the edge and some is going over the box???? I keep running over to try and catch her but have had no luck. I'm calling the Vet tomorrow because I also find she's not eating much and seems lethargic. I keep her kitty litter clean and when she did this the second time, I bought a whole new box for her. Guess I'm just really worried. Any thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A cat at that age can have any number of health issues that might impact peeing routines. One who pees in the box, but also on the edges as well as outside the box, sounds like a cat that might have arthritis, making getting into the box, or using it as they once did, a problem at times. Other cats can have urinary tract issues that cause them a sense of urgency, where they might not make it all the way in the box, or to the box in time. Lethargy could be tied to either, especially if there is any pain or discomfort involved.

Time for a senior blood work up and a urinalysis. Maybe an x-ray of her spine and legs to look for arthritis. If all turns out well in this aspect, let us know and then we can ask questions that might pertain better to behavioral issues.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. A cat at that age can have any number of health issues that might impact peeing routines. One who pees in the box, but also on the edges as well as outside the box, sounds like a cat that might have arthritis, making getting into the box, or using it as they once did, a problem at times. Other cats can have urinary tract issues that cause them a sense of urgency, where they might not make it all the way in the box, or to the box in time. Lethargy could be tied to either, especially if there is any pain or discomfort involved.

Time for a senior blood work up and a urinalysis. Maybe an x-ray of her spine and legs to look for arthritis. If all turns out well in this aspect, let us know and then we can ask questions that might pertain better to behavioral issues.
Oh, thanks. I never thought of arthritis. I have her kitty litter is a 'safe' room - safe from the puppy - and she has to jump over a board to get there. Maybe that's creating an issue. At first I thought she was peeing just outside the box but nope I witnessed her peeing by the edge ni the box and I could see the clumping in the box but there was some outside. I'm calling the Vet tomorrow. I'm really worried about her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may be having difficulty getting into the box due to age and arthritis. If possible, get a low side entry litter box so it's easier to get in and out of the box. You can also make one if you're into DIY.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That just about nails it.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for the great responses and suggestions. I managed to see my cat in the litter box and she is peeing in the box but near the edge and some of it is splashing over the side. She is drinking but eating little and not moving around much. This just happened over the past few days - yesterday she slept basically all day - so I'm calling the Vet first thing this morning. Guess I'm scared. I've only had her a little over a year - she's 14 - and she's never been very well. But something's up. Usually she's sitting beside me on the couch and all weekend she's been sleeping on my bed all day and I visit her. She does get up to get water or food or to use the kitty litter though. She purrs every time I enter the room so I know she's welcoming me to be with her. I'll let you know what the Vet says. Thanks.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Well, the Vet definitely thinks it's arthritis. Wow, I never thought about that until the lovely people here mentioned it. Everyone here rocks. He thought the biggest clue was the peeing on the edge of the litter box that was going onto the floor. For weeks I have noticed my cat was peeing right on the edge of box at the bottom - which was a change. So he gave me a pain medication for her - to try for 2 weeks to see if that made a difference. She seems to have lost a bit of interest in her food so I'm nervous about being able to get the medicine in her since even the Vet had a hard time opening her mouth. But I got it down just a few minutes ago. And I am looking for a kitty litter pan for arthritic cats. Thank you so much for all of your input. THANK YOU.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet take x-rays so they could see arthritis? I presume they gave you gabapentin? If so, just curious what dosage, and is it for twice a day? I tried gabapentin for Feeby's arthritis, but she refused it even when I tried 4 different compounded versions to try to mask the bitterness of the pill. I hope you don't have the same issue with your girl!!

You might also look into joint supplements. The most common ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin, but there are others as well. They can be used in conjunction with pain meds. Feeby didn't like either of those, but she used to take Glyco Flex Plus as a joint supplement, and I believe it helped with her mobility. It includes two of the same ingredients found in the above-mentioned supplements - glucosamine and chondroitin, but also have green lipped mussels - another joint support ingredient. They have a strong odor and taste, primarily due to the mussels, but it took 3 years before Feeby got tired of the taste. They are also large chews, so I broke them into 4-5 pieces and gave them to her as a treat.

I wouldn't pursue other options down the road unless x-rays were done to confirm arthritis, but there is an injection version of a combination pain med and joint supplement called Adequan, which members on this site also use. I opted for a newer injection called Solensia which does not contain any joint supplements but can block arthritic pain. Feeby is currently getting this for her arthritis. Some folks are concerned about the lack of long-term studies since it is fairly new to the US, but those using it have had good success, including me.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
gabapentin
Did the vet take x-rays so they could see arthritis? I presume they gave you gabapentin? If so, just curious what dosage, and is it for twice a day? I tried gabapentin for Feeby's arthritis, but she refused it even when I tried 4 different compounded versions to try to mask the bitterness of the pill. I hope you don't have the same issue with your girl!!

You might also look into joint supplements. The most common ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin, but there are others as well. They can be used in conjunction with pain meds. Feeby didn't like either of those, but she used to take Glyco Flex Plus as a joint supplement, and I believe it helped with her mobility. It includes two of the same ingredients found in the above-mentioned supplements - glucosamine and chondroitin, but also have green lipped mussels - another joint support ingredient. They have a strong odor and taste, primarily due to the mussels, but it took 3 years before Feeby got tired of the taste. They are also large chews, so I broke them into 4-5 pieces and gave them to her as a treat.

I wouldn't pursue other options down the road unless x-rays were done to confirm arthritis, but there is an injection version of a combination pain med and joint supplement called Adequan, which members on this site also use. I opted for a newer injection called Solensia which does not contain any joint supplements but can block arthritic pain. Feeby is currently getting this for her arthritis. Some folks are concerned about the lack of long-term studies since it is fairly new to the US, but those using it have had good success, including me.
The Vet prescribed Metacam for pain, in a liquid form which apparently tastes like honey. And just once a day. I got the first dosage down in a bit of food that she liked. He said down the road we can look at glucosamine etc. He listened very attentively to all her symptoms and believes it's arthritis so he wanted to bypass x-rays and blood work (he said the bloodwork would cost $450.00) and try the pain relief for 2 weeks to see if I noticed a difference. I'm also to get a litterbox better suited for arthritic cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Metacam can cause a lack of appetite, but it - like other potential side effects - are supposed to subside after about two weeks on the meds. Make sure Panda gets something to eat either shortly before or after you give her the Metacam to help avoid any stomach upset.

I don't know if/when you are to be checking in with the vet about how it is going with the Metacam, but you might call them and let them know about the reduced appetite.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Metacam has to be given with food. You probably already know that. It may just take a little while to get into her system. Maybe try a topper, something to get her interested in eating more. My two didn't have much of an appetite when they were on it either. They were only on it for 7 days though.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for your great responses. The Vet knows Panda isn't eating much. She lost her appetite over a week ago - she's eating a bit but not much. She's not even interested in treats that she usually loves. But she sure is moving around a lot more and is more active. If I don't see her appetite pick up I'll talk to the Vet again. Panda is very affectionate though and loves being petted and brushed. She's a sweetheart.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for your great responses. The Vet knows Panda isn't eating much. She lost her appetite over a week ago - she's eating a bit but not much. She's not even interested in treats that she usually loves. But she sure is moving around a lot more and is more active. If I don't see her appetite pick up I'll talk to the Vet again. Panda is very affectionate though and loves being petted and brushed. She's a sweetheart.
If she's starting to move around more, and she's enjoying the interaction with you...her appetite might start to improve naturally. She will be using up more energy, which I imagine, would make her more hungry. Did you post a picture of Panda? Would love to see her.