Senior cat peeing outside litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's starting to move around more, and she's enjoying the interaction with you...her appetite might start to improve naturally. She will be using up more energy, which I imagine, would make her more hungry. Did you post a picture of Panda? Would love to see her.
Good point - if she's moving around more she may start to eat more. She seems bored with her normal food so I've given her some different flavors but I'm worried it might upset her stomach. Here's a photo of Panda and the pup, Asher. I love your photos. Your cats are adorable.

Attachments

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point - if she's moving around more she may start to eat more. She seems bored with her normal food so I've given her some different flavors but I'm worried it might upset her stomach. Here's a photo of Panda and the pup, Asher. I love your photos. Your cats are adorable.
Awe, so sweet. Looks like they get along great. How old is Asher?

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take it you got over the other hurdle and just decided to let them be? I thought they looked familiar. Forgive me, I'm old. LOL
Yes, I just let them 'be' together and that worked out well. I felt the pup was too boisterous for Panda but every time I intervened Panda didn't seem to like it. So I let them figure it out. Asher is in love with Panda - LOL - and Panda is doing a good job of keeping him in line.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I just let them 'be' together and that worked out well. I felt the pup was too boisterous for Panda but every time I intervened Panda didn't seem to like it. So I let them figure it out. Asher is in love with Panda - LOL - and Panda is doing a good job of keeping him in line.
That's wonderful! I knew it would all work out. :happycat:

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow - I do believe this forum saved my cat's life. I had written in that Panda still wasn't eating much and a few people mentioned that Metacam can make a pet temporarily lose their appetite. So after giving her 4 doses over 4 days, and noticing more movement, I sat down to read the pamphlet that was in the box. It mentioned how this medication should not be taken with a steroid and my cat is ON a steroid - prednisone - a pill every 2 days. When I was in the examining room with the Vet, I meant to remind him that Panda takes a pill every two days for bad allergies and was it still safe to take the metacam. Then I forgot - because it took all my energy to soothe Panda, who never went to the Vet until I arrived on the scene. And I trust my Vet. So I stopped all meds and called this morning and sure enough, the two drugs cannot be mixed. Unbelievable. So I am to stop all meds for one week, then put her back on the metacam only. If the allergies come back, I am to stop the metacam, put her back on the prednisone and she will then have to receive a needle once a month - from me - for the arthritis pain. But of course the allergies will come back. Anyhow - thank you sooooooooooooooo much. I only looked at the pamphlet to check other side effects after it being mentioned here about a loss of appetite - otherwise I would have trusted my Vet who said today the he 'forgot' Panda was on a steroid. Sheesh. THANK YOU.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Looks like the problem is solved. I'm really not a huge fan of Metacam. Ash had extremely bad diarrhea after his surgery when he was on it. You can do the needle :lovecat4: . At least you won't have to deal with the nasty drug interaction issue now. You would think that they would have known this...it shouldn't be your job to remind them. I had a vet error incident the other day too. It sure makes you wonder.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great! Looks like the problem is solved. I'm really not a huge fan of Metacam. Ash had extremely bad diarrhea after his surgery when he was on it. You can do the needle :lovecat4: . At least you won't have to deal with the nasty drug interaction issue now. You would think that they would have known this...it shouldn't be your job to remind them. I had a vet error incident the other day too. It sure makes you wonder.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had some internet issues that have finally been solved. After 7 days of no meds - as per the Vet's instructions - Panda is back on the metacam. During her week off of everything, she was moving around more - back to normal in that sense - but not eating much at all. I'm trying the metacam again to see if it is pain that's causing the lack of appetite - then again, the metacam can cause a lack of appetite. Sigh - it's so confusing. But the Vet wanted to try the metacam to see if pain is causing the issue. I'm sad that she's not eating much - I even added tuna to her food. She's eating a little - but not much. Guess time will tell.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries. Sorry about the internet issues. How long does the vet want to try the Metacam for this time? You've tried toppers already, right? I have good luck with a sprinkle of Forti Flora if I'm having trouble getting them to eat. Have you done the needle yet or did they stop everything except the Metacam?

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries. Sorry about the internet issues. How long does the vet want to try the Metacam for this time? You've tried toppers already, right? I have good luck with a sprinkle of Forti Flora if I'm having trouble getting them to eat. Have you done the needle yet or did they stop everything except the Metacam?
Hi there - what is Forti Flora - oh, I just looked it up. And that will help? I'll try anything. Right now the Vet wants to try Panda on metacam for 2 weeks. Panda hasn't had a litter box accident in well over a week and is moving around more. Just not into food at the moment, although she's eating a little bit. No needle yet.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - what is Forti Flora - oh, I just looked it up. And that will help? I'll try anything. Right now the Vet wants to try Panda on metacam for 2 weeks. Panda hasn't had a litter box accident in well over a week and is moving around more. Just not into food at the moment, although she's eating a little bit. No needle yet.
It's a probiotic but cats go crazy for it. You might want to check with your vet first if it is ok. There are better brands but that's what I use if there is any stomach upset or anything. I'm having trouble getting my Lulu to eat at the moment so I may put a sprinkle on. Usually, you use a package if they have diarrhea and you give it for so many days but I'm just going to see if I can get her more interested with it. She's still recovering from her surgery 3 weeks ago and is losing a little weight.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a probiotic but cats go crazy for it. You might want to check with your vet first if it is ok. There are better brands but that's what I use if there is any stomach upset or anything. I'm having trouble getting my Lulu to eat at the moment so I may put a sprinkle on. Usually, you use a package if they have diarrhea and you give it for so many days but I'm just going to see if I can get her more interested with it. She's still recovering from her surgery 3 weeks ago and is losing a little weight.
Awwww.... I hope Lulu begins to eat more. I find it upsetting to see Panda - who once had a healthy appetite - not eat much and she's losing weight too. They keep us hoping, that's for sure. :) Hopefully they'll both start eating more soon.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww.... I hope Lulu begins to eat more. I find it upsetting to see Panda - who once had a healthy appetite - not eat much and she's losing weight too. They keep us hoping, that's for sure. :) Hopefully they'll both start eating more soon.
Yes, they sure do. I hope so too. Let us know if you decide to try it and if it helps. I'm going to add a little to Lulu's supper right now. :lovecat4:

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panda still won't eat very much. Sigh. It upsets me to see her like this and she's losing weight. I'm calling the Vet today.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panda still won't eat very much. Sigh. It upsets me to see her like this and she's losing weight. I'm calling the Vet today.
Did you try the Forti Flora? Poor baby. I'm having issues as well. Let us know what the vet says. :lovecat4:

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Forti Flora? Poor baby. I'm having issues as well. Let us know what the vet says. :lovecat4:
I couldn't find the Forti Flora - but the health store nearby is ordering it for me. How is your cat doing? The Vet wants me to keep on monitoring her to see if the pain med will alleviate her pain and make her feel better. She ate a little bit this morning.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vets are human, so they make errors too. He should have checked the chart though.

It's always a good idea to check the panflit that comes with the medication, and to search the VCA website. Meloxicam

Nobel's been on Metacam for a long time. It MUST be given with food to prevent nausea. I usually do dry treats as it helps to soak stuff up. He was prescribed up to the 6 on the syringe, I always find the full dosage too strong. He gets up to the 3 and then doesn't have any nausea but I can still see the difference in pain relief.

If she's that nauseous on it, I would definitely request a different medicine.