Senior Cat Losing Hair Again

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I took my 15 year old tabby to the vet several months ago due to throwing up several times a week, low energy, and balding on stomach and inner legs. We did a blood test, gave her a steroid shot, and they recommended that we do a fish based, grain free diet. So we put her on half ​Canidae Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Diet PURE Sea with Salmon Dry Cat Food  ​and half Canidae Grain-Free PURE Sea Salmon & Mackerel Formula Canned Cat Food.

​It was a complete reversal. No more throwing up, she started racing around the house, she stopped losing hair and it was growing back. The bloodwork indicated that she was a healthy cat. Mouth healthy too.

​I had started about 2 months ago to switch her over to a venison based food vs fish since I heard that fish is bad long term and we had zero problems with that too. These brands were Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Venison & Green Pea Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food  ​ and Feline Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Leaping Spirit Entrée Grain-Free Dry Cat Food.

Nothing until 2 weeks ago, with no extra changes :(

​She still hasn't been throwing up at all, still has had lots of energy, but she has started to lick herself bald again, and worse than before. :( It has now gone to the sides of her knees and up a little onto the sides of her stomach. It has also started up near her chest. She does it mostly hiding away from me, but when I do see her, she seems to be chewing a lot like she is itchy. She HAS always been a very meticulous groomer, spending more time than she probably should on grooming. Is it possible that this is anxiety related? I do have a 2.5 year old and while she has usually been very okay with him, he is a lot more mobile and tries to pet her whenever he sees her. Or is it possible that the steroid shot was covering up issues that were still there and so it seemed like she was getting better but wasn't? I obviously will be taking her back to the vet, but was wondering if there was anything I could do now to help her?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would switch her back to the fish diet or try something with a different protein source. I know fish can get a bad reputation in cat foods because there is a worry about the manufactures using low quality fish which can lead to high mercury levels. But you switched to venison and she started having problems again. Looking at the food you mention it does look like the only major difference is the protein sources.

It took two weeks but it can take a while for problems to manifest when we are talking about a low level food issue. It also may have taken that long for her over grooming to get to the noticeable point. 

I would make the switch back to fish and see if she improves. If she does, you have your culprit and should add venison to the no go list of proteins. You can try a different novel protein in a month or two. Rule out the simple culprit of the change in protein source before you start worrying about other causes. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am already doing that portion - going back to just the Canidae dry and wet and seeing if that helps. Just crazy because she is SO much worse than she was before as far as hair loss. :( I feel bad for her and didn't know if there is anything besides the steroid shot she will likely be getting that I can do for her to relieve the itching.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Assuming she has allergies, I find it completely logical that she is worse.

I have a multitude of allergies. The ones that I avoid (I can't avoid them all) I find myself more reactive to when I am around them again. I think it is that exposure builds up a tolerance, up to a point, so then reexposure feels worse because the tolerance isn't there.

As an example, I am allergic to scented products like laundry detergent. For years my parents didn't know and I had a constant rash on my legs. Just a low level rash but there. Once we figured it out I did my laundry seperate with my unscented detergent. Now, just one load washed with the wrong soap and the rash comes back 3 times worse and I rewash everything immediately (you would think that after 15 years people would remember but sometimes my Mom washes my towels with hers to be nice or fill the load).

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suppose that makes sense. She had never had venison in any form before this so I didn't realize she could have such an adverse reaction to it. Thought I had done the "right" thing by doing a novel protein. :(

I just wish I could give her some relief until I can get her to the vet, especially since those shots aren't supposed to be good long term and have diminishing returns.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She probably is starting to feel better with the change. Just time for it to get out of her system and feel better. You had no way of knowing how she would react to the venison and we could both be wrong about cause. Hopefully the vet can help her more.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We're going to "detox" first but I'll get researching my next move :)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh she's getting worse :( Licking and chewing the hair off her chest and front legs now. Calling the vet to see when I can have her seen and see what tests we can run and probably get another steroid shot to help with the itchiness.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby. Will she eat some sardines or take an Omega 3 supplement? Omega 3 can help with skin problems. 

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do give her an Omega 3 supplement currently every day, never tried sardines! We have a vet visit today at 4 so hopefully the vet will have some ideas too.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's back to a healthy weight, not lethargic, not vomiting. Just itchy. Most probable cause is still the food. Going back to square one like I mentioned earlier; think maybe I introduced new proteins too quickly. So one food only for few months and then slow introduction of 1 new thing for a few months and so on. Got a steroid shot and a Rx for prednisone when that wears off.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad you were able to get her some relief and good luck with food. I have a boy who vomits after meals and I know the struggle to find a food they don't react to. I got him from vomiting daily though to only once in March very slowly. 

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At least she is my least picky cat! Very few things she won't eat so that aspect is on my side!

Glad yours seems to be heading the right direction at least!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have three. One who vomits and will eat most things (but tends to forget he just ate so he overeats too), one who will eat anything and I call my garbage kitty, one who is extremely picky and will give me the look if I dare try to sneak even omega 3 in his food. Its been a fun adventure but we have eliminated chicken, shrimp, any mention of dairy or soy, and it seems to be working *fingers crossed".

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh, she's still licking and she's only had the Canidae foods and fish oil. Realizing its only been about two weeks but so frustrating :(