Sending a socialized feral to a rescue

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I've been reading several articles and at least 2 have said that even if you socialize a feral kitten it cannot be sent to a rescue because it will revert. Thoughts?

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old was the kitten when the socialization started, and how old is it now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
How old was the kitten when the socialization started, and how old is it now?
3 months now 4 months. I trapped him and 3 siblings he became friendly in about 5 days he is affectionate, and does well around strangers. My concern is for the other 3 of which one is progressing.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s definitely not true, don’t worry!

All cats - even super friendly, never feral pet cats - will “revert” if they are neglected or away from people for too long.

For instance, if a pet is dumped or lost and manages to survive on their own for an extended period of time, they will become more “wild” (any domesticated animal will).

In fact, most “semi-feral” cats are former pets.

And animal hoarders will often have semi-feral cats simply due to a lack of enough, direct, and/or positive human interaction, despite actually living with a human.

Ferals do, however, often take longer to adjust to changes, and maybe this is what was being referred to. But this is no different than a “skittish” house cat or a traumatized socialized cat. Meaning, it is only temporary.

So long as a feral is getting sufficient interaction with humans, their progress will ultimately be maintained and likely continue to improve.

Many of us here have socialized feral adults. Age doesn’t really matter, any age can be successfully socialized and adopted out.

I work in rescue, and the articles you read about feral socialization often state things that frankly aren’t true. This in the interest of both the cats and people (and sometimes authors and rescuers themselves don’t actually know otherwise and are simply repeating what they’ve been told).

When people don’t know what they’re getting into, the situation nearly always turns out bad (and unnecessarily traumatizing) for both parties. The truth is, the vast majority of people who consider making a house cat out of a feral just aren’t cut out for it. (A small minority are though, so long as they have some guidance!)

So the rescue community says things like “kittens can’t be socialized after 6/8/10/12 weeks of age” and “adult Ferals can never be house cats” etc. to discourage people.

The older ones just take much more time, and the younger they are, the more likely they will socialize quickly, easily, and “fully”. Socialization starting at 3 months is extremely promising in regards to final outcome.

What is the set up with the rescue? Is it cage based, communal based, or foster based? Some of these will be harder on any cat than others.

If you need help with socializing the others, don’t hesitate to ask. Between the users here, there is more experience and knowledge on how to socialize Ferals than pretty much anywhere else online, and members here are more than happy to help!

Thank you for helping these guys have a chance at a better life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s definitely not true, don’t worry!

All cats - even super friendly, never feral pet cats - will “revert” if they are neglected or away from people for too long.

For instance, if a pet is dumped or lost and manages to survive on their own for an extended period of time, they will become more “wild” (any domesticated animal will).

In fact, most “semi-feral” cats are former pets.

And animal hoarders will often have semi-feral cats simply due to a lack of enough, direct, and/or positive human interaction, despite actually living with a human.

Ferals do, however, often take longer to adjust to changes, and maybe this is what was being referred to. But this is no different than a “skittish” house cat or a traumatized socialized cat. Meaning, it is only temporary.

So long as a feral is getting sufficient interaction with humans, their progress will ultimately be maintained and likely continue to improve.

Many of us here have socialized feral adults. Age doesn’t really matter, any age can be successfully socialized and adopted out.

I work in rescue, and the articles you read about feral socialization often state things that frankly aren’t true. This in the interest of both the cats and people (and sometimes authors and rescuers themselves don’t actually know otherwise and are simply repeating what they’ve been told).

When people don’t know what they’re getting into, the situation nearly always turns out bad (and unnecessarily traumatizing) for both parties. The truth is, the vast majority of people who consider making a house cat out of a feral just aren’t cut out for it. (A small minority are though, so long as they have some guidance!)

So the rescue community says things like “kittens can’t be socialized after 6/8/10/12 weeks of age” and “adult Ferals can never be house cats” etc. to discourage people.

The older ones just take much more time, and the younger they are, the more likely they will socialize quickly, easily, and “fully”. Socialization starting at 3 months is extremely promising in regards to final outcome.

What is the set up with the rescue? Is it cage based, communal based, or foster based? Some of these will be harder on any cat than others.

If you need help with socializing the others, don’t hesitate to ask. Between the users here, there is more experience and knowledge on how to socialize Ferals than pretty much anywhere else online, and members here are more than happy to help!

Thank you for helping these guys have a chance at a better life!
Thank you so much you put my mind at ease. I do have some more questions related to the whole situation, would it be best to have separate threads for different aspects? Thank you again.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I've been reading several articles and at least 2 have said that even if you socialize a feral kitten it cannot be sent to a rescue because it will revert. Thoughts?
As I was reading your thread, it brought back memories of 2 sister kittens, I had eventually brought to a no kill. One was taken off the streets with another older kitten at 9 weeks. She had a lot of health problems and I spent a pretty penny on her at the vet on top of getting her spayed. Thankfully, at that time I had the money to help this kitty. She was socialized successfully along with the other kitten who is with me today. A complete love bug btw.😻 I was looking for homes for these kitties for quite a long time. Part of this was my fault, I was very worried about adopting them out to irresponsible or dangerous people. In the middle of winter, I trapped the sister of the younger cat. She was 6 months at the time. She was a friendly cat, but she kept coming down with colds. Before I was allowed to bring her in, I used to give this kittens medicines, and I brought her in my room which was right by the back door leading to the deck. I sat on a rug right in front of a vaporizer and she happily sat on my lap purring while she was getting some vaporizing treatment. When I had to put her back out, I put extra microwavable discs in her emergency winter shelter and she seemed warm and comfortably in it. Well, the day came not long after where I got her off the streets and not soon after that a no kill said that they would take some of these kitties off my hands, so I took the 2 sisters to the no kill, the older kitten had a few adopters lined up, but oddly enough it fell through and i kept that kitten. The kitten I took in first found a home, but the kitten taking off the streets at 6 months old was not happy being in crates and was stressed out. She was taken in by a rescuer who takes in ferals. Last I heard this kitty was happy in her home and was healthy. I have to say it is best to heed the 8 week socialization window for adopting kittens out because it is the safest route to go. However, I have taken feral kitties and cats off the street. It is possible to reform some of them, but depending how feral they are will determine the amount of work and time put into reforming them, if it is possible. I have had to put very feral cats back out on the streets because the were extremely stressed out and ultimately for them the streets are their home. I think that is best for them. If you are trying to get a kitty off the streets and adopted you must work hard to reform if past the normal socialization period and when you adopt out do so as a special needs cat due to the cat's backround. Adopt out to a adopter who has lots experience with cats and lots of patience. Best of luck to you.😊

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much you put my mind at ease. I do have some more questions related to the whole situation, would it be best to have separate threads for different aspects? Thank you again.
If it’s just about socialization, posting here is fine. But so is starting s new thread if you’d prefer to do that!