Semi-feral kitten missing

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. I have been caring for a young cat for a few months now. She was scared of me at first, but after a few weeks of feeding and trying to get close, not only did she start letting us pet her, but she basically became an indoor cat. She would show up every day and hang out, cuddle, nuzzle, climb all over my partner and me. We went away once for two nights and when we got back she greeted us both for about an hour. She sits and watches TV with us every night. By all means, we were very bonded.
One night, she got up off the couch and walked outside. She normally slept outside, so this wasnt unusual. Except.. she hasn't returned. this was 3 nights ago.

The worst part about all of this is that we are moving in 9 days. We live in Hawaii and are moving to Florida.. so not only are we moving, but we're leaving an ISLAND. We can't exactly ask the next owner to look out for her, as we have been living in an airbnb and the owner is taking his home back for vacation rentals only.

What can I do? Is there hope for her? Why would a semi-feral cat disappear?

One thing to note is that two other ferals started coming around. Our girl is social, these two are not. I've seen our girl around these cats before, but the other cats weren't coming around much while she was in the picture. Is this a territorial thing?

And lastly, we've been searching high and low for her. We search during the day and at night, calling for her, shaking the bag, etc.

We just want our girl to come home in time to make it off the island with us :(

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Put out food that smells as strong as possible - tuna is a great example. Only other thing I can suggest is to get a live trap and if you catch one of the other cats, letting them go might deter them from coming back, at least for a few days, giving your girl a better chance of coming back.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am betting she came into heat and is seeking the males. The intense period usually lasts around 6 days so she is halfway through it. I would go out in ever-widening circles, looking for a gathering of cats. There are usually several males lurking around and following her, waiting their turn. Also, listen for the distress calls of birds, those usually pinpoint cats too. I have found my cat many times following the calls of birds. you could maybe have the neighbor keep an eye out for her. if you trust them you could send them money to ship her back, buying a crate, etc. Or money to feed her. I hope she comes back soon. I pray you find her, please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put out food that smells as strong as possible - tuna is a great example. Only other thing I can suggest is to get a live trap and if you catch one of the other cats, letting them go might deter them from coming back, at least for a few days, giving your girl a better chance of coming back.
thank you!! 🙏

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am betting she came into heat and is seeking the males. The intense period usually lasts around 6 days so she is halfway through it. I would go out in ever-widening circles, looking for a gathering of cats. There are usually several males lurking around and following her, waiting their turn. Also, listen for the distress calls of birds, those usually pinpoint cats too. I have found my cat many times following the calls of birds. you could maybe have the neighbor keep an eye out for her. if you trust them you could send them money to ship her back, buying a crate, etc. Or money to feed her. I hope she comes back soon. I pray you find her, please keep us posted!
thank you!! that is my hope ❤

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there. There are very many stories of cats who have gone missing for a long time and they returned. I’m praying for you and your kitty. :hugs:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i appreciate you!! ❤🥺
I’m here for you. :hugs: I understand the terror of having a cat go missing. It is not a fun experience.
Four out of four of my cats (outdoors) disappeared for a number of time spanning from a couple of days to a couple of months at some point. They all came back like nothing happened even when I had pretty much given up hope. Please stay optimistic and don’t give up.

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m here for you. :hugs: I understand the terror of having a cat go missing. It is not a fun experience.
Four out of four of my cats (outdoors) disappeared for a number of time spanning from a couple of days to a couple of months at some point. They all came back like nothing happened even when I had pretty much given up hope. Please stay optimistic and don’t give up.
Thank you 🥺❤. This cat has become super affectionate - she was in my lap every night watching tv and giving kisses (which I’ve never had a cat do). I just can’t imagine why she would have strayed, and we have to move in 6 days 😔. It’s been really hard on me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO call shelters, vets and rescues at least twice a week. They are (at least the shelters and rescues) chronically understaffed and overworks, and you don't want your kitten falling between the cracks if she is taken in.

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends..
I first posted in here regarding whether I should adopt my semi-feral kitty before we moved. Well, I made the decision to adopt her, and then she disappeared.

We spent two weeks searching for her high and low. Visiting shelters, searching all night with flashlights, leaving clothes out, etc. I even talked to an animal communicator. We tried everything and she never came back.

We finally moved today and I’m just... heartbroken. I’m not sure if I should give up hope and try to just move on, or hold out hope that she’ll show up and we can come back for her. I’ve never been this upset over an animal, I truly felt connected to her. We won’t be able to live in that home again until March 2022.

Attachments

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Sounds like kitty is her own boss. Very possible that she adopted somebody else. There are a few cats in my neighborhood like that. They will visit me for a week then disappear for months. Turns out they have several "homes". I call them "community cats". They seem to be impossible to keep inside.
Your friend may indeed show up again. You just never know . 🐈💕

erin8159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ Sounds like kitty is her own boss. Very possible that she adopted somebody else. There are a few cats in my neighborhood like that. They will visit me for a week then disappear for months. Turns out they have several "homes". I call them "community cats". They seem to be impossible to keep inside.
Your friend may indeed show up again. You just never know . 🐈💕
Thank you for this ❤I do hope this is the case.. but it is still so sad to be moving across the world not knowing :(