Semi Feral Cat Missing for a Month

chesslearner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A semi-feral cat that I have been taking care of since last year has been missing for a month. I bought him a cat bed which he slept in; catnaps and overnight. I bought him cat toys. I bought him dry food, wet food and treats. He even had a heated sleeping pad outside for the winter months. The last few weeks he even came into the mudroom where he ate and left. He's not that big and I'm afraid a bigger cat or raccoon chased him away. I should have tried to keep him as an indoor cat... Now I have no idea where he has gone... I don’t even know if he’s safe and sound. Should I report him as a lost pet? Even if I do find him, do I trap him and bring him back and confine him indoors so he doesn't run away? Or should I just accept that he went to find new territory and will never come back? :bawling:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he have a tipped ear? If he was part of a colony and was neutered he would most likely have a tipped ear.

When he returns, I would be sure to trap him and get him to a vet to check to see if he has been neutered.

You can post some fliers or talk with neighbors to see if he has been seen.

I once cared for a feral cat that was not neutered. I had tried many times, but he would not go into the trap. Warm weather arrived and he took off. He was gone for 5 months. He did return and eventually I was able to trap him and get him neutered.

Also with the weather warmer, some cats like to roam. As long as they can hunt, they will not go hungry. He may also have another feeding source.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chesslearner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:frown: He doesn't have a tipped ear. I shouldn't have trusted my neighbor. If/when he comes home, I'll try to trap him for a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chesslearner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:( Sad to say that he hasn't come back. I've accepted that I'll never see him again. I don't know what happened to him but I hope he knew I love him.

Marcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is so sad :( . Since he is used to outside conditions, maybe he will make it and come back, miracles do happen. Im trying to be optimistic in some way but as the days go by im losing hope :( . Who knows, maybe they found another family !

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. It's very sad when this happens. However, you still don't know if he simply moved on and found another feeding station somewhere else... it's possible. I live in a concrete jungle with lots of potential dangers. I've cared for many ferals that never came back. At least I can take satisfaction that I was able to provide for them for a decent period of time. I was taking care of a black cat named "Baby" for many years, then all the sudden he disappeared. Weeks became months. Then one spring day, there he is, sitting on my front step. It turns out, a neighbor a few blocks away took him in and was caring for him during a very cold winter.