Semi- Feral Cat Looks Overweight

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
As some of you might now, I have a semi-feral cat named Pants. He is not entirely trusting of me- He’ll usually only let me pet him when there’s food. He currently lives outside. He has a little lean-to shed that he stays in pretty much all day. Another thing to note is that this cat eats more than I’ve ever seen a cat eat. I’m trying to lessen his food because he eats SO much, but I don’t know if that’s benefiting him- he is a fairly large cat.
he eats a mix of wet food and dry food. Currently dry food is just cheaper, and an all wet food diet isn’t an option, especially with three cats. He lately looks like he’s gaining weight. He doesn’t look like he’s at a horribly unhealthy weight, but I want to nip this in the bud before he gets drastically and unhealthily overweight. He won’t let me play with him so that he can get exercise in, he pretty much just sleeps most of the day. What should I do? Should I ration his food supply? Thanks in advance :)
AC19A872-6DC5-458E-9271-1A78CD769FA5.jpeg

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a stunning kitty! Pants has gorgeous green eyes! Honestly, he doesn't look that big to me. There is a 16 pounder on my block who keeps raiding my feedings. He is the largest kitty, but there are other kitties who are a bit big who roam the block. It is winter time where I live, and the temps can go down into the teens on the bad nights. I am sort of relieved the cats have fat on them to help them survive this winter. When the weather gets warmer, I give them less food. I also give them lower calorie dry food. They do lose some weight in the warmer months, but by late fall I start feeding them more high calorie dry and in winter months I give them Kitten Chow because they really burn up calories in the cold weather.

What I would do is give him reduced calorie food, at least dry food for starters. If you are feeding him more than 2x a day-- cut back. Try to stop him from eating other kitties food and tell your neighbors/other feeders you know where he may be making pit stops to not feed him & that you feed him very well and don't want him to get chubby. It is not always easy with outdoor kitties because they could be going to other feeders you are not aware of. Cats are great opportunists. They know of other places to get a meal and may be making there rounds. In the end we only can control so much. I wish you the best of luck.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Thank you so much for responding! I guess sometimes the way he sits is unflattering and can make him look heavier than other times.
61E4682A-601D-415B-8253-C2C75844E0E9.jpeg

maybe decrease the quantity of the kibble just a bit every other day or something like that?
Thank you so much for replying!
Yes, I might have to do that. Like I said above, sometimes he looks heavier than other times. Thank you 😊
What a stunning kitty! Pants has gorgeous green eyes!

What I would do is give him reduced calorie food, at least dry food for starters. Try to stop him from eating other kitties food and tell your neighbors/other feeders you know where he may be making pit stops to not feed him & that you feed him very well and don't want him to get chubby.
Thank you... I love his eyes, too 🤗
For some reason it didn’t even occur to me that it might be his winter coat or extra weight for winter. I will most definitely be pursuing low-calorie food. I know of at least one other house in this neighborhood that feeds cats, so it’s very possible that he might be going there. Thank you!