Semi Feral cat injured in hurricane

Kadonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I previously posted about a semi feral mama cat I have been feeding since May. I have her remaining kitten safe inside my house. I have been feeding mama 2-3 times a day since May. She usually stays right outside my screened in lanai. I was planning on trapping her & taking her in for tnvr next month, although i have no experience with this & am very nervous about it. I got some good advice in this group about traps that i could purchase, but was having trouble making a decision. In the meantime, hurricane was announced. Was considering trying to grab the cat for her own safety. We previously tried to bring her into screened in lanai area, but she freaked out to such a degree that we were afraid she would hurt herself, & let her out. This time we didn’t have the chance. She disappeared on Tuesday, the day before the hurricane. She showed back up today, Thursday, after the storm had passed, with a serious limp. She is hopping on 3 legs. I
don’t know if her back leg is sprained or broken. If she was taking cover in the woods, I think maybe a tree limb could have fallen on her & hurt her. There is no sign of blood or injury where another animal may have been involved. I want to help her, but not sure what to do. I still don’t have a trap. If i get her inside the screened in lanai, & then into a carrier, then what? Will a regular vet treat a semi feral? I am desparate to help this kitty. I am located in Leesburg Florida. I contacted a local cat rescue earlier today for advice, but they have not replied.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You need to get a trap, but almost more importantly you need to call the vet clinics near you because you don't know who is open and staffed, and of those, who might be able to see her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kadonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
You need to get a trap, but almost more importantly you need to call the vet clinics near you because you don't know who is open and staffed, and of those, who might be able to see her.
Thanks. Nothing was open today within an hours drive due to the hurricane but tomorrow I can make calls. I don’t think there is a trap i can buy locally, but hoping the rescue service will get back to me tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that she is injured, she may be more willing to stay in your lanai. I would start there as she is in extreme danger outside with what sounds like a severe injury to her leg. Follow the steps suggested above and get a trap, which you still may need even if she is in the lanai, and call to see who can take her.