Semi-feral: Bring Them Inside Or Not?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that is just such a great update! So happy for, and proud of, Ruby. Good girl!!!! And Lucky and Palmer seem to be doing good too. Fingers crossed that things keep getting better and better with all of them. :crossfingers: :catrub: :catman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little more progress at my house! Since it is the weekend, yesterday after dinner I decided to let Lucky out for the whole night with the option to put him back in the safe room if things didn't go well. I don't even close the basement door anymore--he seems afraid to go down there and is pretty easy to shoo back since he can be skittish when he is out--so I felt pretty optimistic about doing this!

When I finished getting ready for bed, there was Lucky with Palmer, my usual bed-buddy, laying near each other on the bed! They slept together, although not touching, for about three hours. Palmer usually spends the whole night on the bed, but Lucky wanted to run around a little and Palmer joined him. Lucky also used the litter box in my room which was great! (Yes, a litter box in the bedroom...!)

I didn't sleep well, was up many times and checked the camera to find that Ruby was at the safe room door, scratching and making little noises. I did not think she would be lonely, but maybe she was! I felt so bad and, at one time, almost just opened the door to see what would happen, but decided not to. And Lucky made it clear he did not want to go back inside with her! For quite a while Palmer and Lucky, together or separately, were stationed at her door, sometimes putting paws under. For breakfast, I did lure Lucky back into the safe room to make it easier to feed everyone and to keep Ruby company.

I will let Lucky out today after lunch and maybe will see about feeding him with Palmer and Rosie at dinner and then remaining out again overnight, but I hate to leave Ruby all by herself! I wish I felt that she was ready to go out into the whole house, too. I improvised a new way to block the stairs so Ruby can be out upstairs only, but yesterday when I set it up and went back downstairs to relax, all of a sudden Lucky appeared! He had been upstairs with Ruby, but managed to escape the new barrier by pushing through the corner. I secured it again, and again he showed up! It was really funny, but I guess I have a Houdini on my hands!

Any opinions on how to decide when I should let Ruby out into the whole house? I think I'll keep her limited to upstairs for a little longer, but it gets tricky since the others like to use the bedroom litter box. I also think it will be a very long time before I can pick her up and I wonder if that is a prerequisite for letting her out.

Another long post! Have a wonderful weekend everyone and thanks for your thoughts and feedback!!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Avery!! Yay for Lucky and Palmer!! I have no idea about Ruby, I'm dealing with the same thing here. I know the experts will chime in on that!! I just wanted to congratulate you on the progress and let you know I'm right there with you!! (Maybe you can take a nap this afternoon) :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great news about Lucky and Palmer! :clap2: They're definitely bonded. :catrub:

I'm no expert, so can't really advise about Ruby. Does she come outside her room when the door's open. Has she shown any interest in going into the bedrooms?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she is scratching at with her door closed is there a way to at least keep the door open and use a wire barrier, screen or tall or double baby gate? That might be a way to start. She could see and/or hear what is going on.

Cats are more inclined to explore on their own at night. With my 3 feral boys, I allow them time out of their room almost every night. At first it was only the first floor. Next I allowed them to com upstairs, but only kept one room open. We gradually made it to all doors open. Just this week I allowed them time in the basement.

Basement management has been a bit harder as when I need them back in their room, they often don't want to go. I can only pick up one of them. I manage to shake the kibble or treat jar and most of the time they come running.

So it's not a prerequisite to pick up a cat or handle a cat to give them more freedom. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try one night and see what happens. Just keep her confined to the upstairs. Too much too soon can be overwhelming and lead to her getting afraid and hiding some where.

Sometimes you just have to try a few things and see what happens. You can always go back.

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kept my 3 new cats indoors when I got them... Although with this being a small island there was nowhere they could go and everyone knows I have SERIOUS CATS.. finally when the smallest one had been glued to the window all day with those HUGE eyes ( YOU know!) I opened the window... she stayed out nearly 24 hours then refused to come near me.... hunger won... Now she is in and out so easily.. time does it..

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and words of support! It is SO greatly appreciated.

Too bad the weekend is over because I don't yet feel comfortable letting Lucky out for long periods of time when I'm not home, plus I hate to leave Ruby all alone. I set up the "upstairs-only" barrier yesterday and Ruby did leave the safe room and went into my bedroom. No cameras there, but from my front lawn I could see her in the window on the top of the cat tree in my bedroom looking down at me! This morning after breakfast, she seemed more interested than ever in being near the door. This week, I think I'll let Lucky out when I get home from work and try to limit Ruby to the upstairs. Next weekend when I'm home all the time, I'll let them both explore further and longer. This darn job is getting in the way of progress!!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news Avery and I totally agree with you about work getting in the way. This month I am using my left over vacation days from last year to take 3 day weekends so that I can let my cats in the family room more. (I'm not comfortable leaving them out while I'm not home and I don't have a way to securely block them from going upstairs). I guess all of my vacation will be "stay-cations" for quite some time!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took advantage of being home for this past long weekend and left the door to the safe room open most of the time. I did close up for meal time and decided I might continue to feed Lucky and Ruby separately for a while -- much easier!

Lucky loves to be out and is doing very well. My only worry was that he was being a bully to Palmer and being the aggressor, but at least three times, I saw Palmer chasing Lucky instead of the other way around and I think they are doing fine together. Lucky is full of energy and sometimes Palmer and I just watch him go crazy with his toys! I do feel bad because Lucky is starting to take over a few of Palmer's sleeping spots, including on the bed, so I'm trying to give Palmer lots of attention and extra petting.

Ruby stays in the safe room most of the time, even with the door open, but she has ventured out several times into my bedroom. She also has gone part-way down the stairs to the first floor. The past two mornings, around 4am, I woke up to hear some little meows and it was Ruby on the stairs! I don't know if she made it all the way downstairs or not, but this is definitely progress! She also seems more comfortable being on the floor and near the door of the safe room, not going up on the cat tree to isolate herself as much.

Needless to say, I did not get much sleep this weekend! I have to go to work tomorrow but I think I'll leave the door open again tonight. While I'm at work tomorrow, I plan to let Lucky have the run of the house, but I think I'll keep Ruby in the safe room until I get home. I need to leave the basement door open because it has two litter boxes, and Lucky has shown no interest in going down there, but I do not want Ruby there.

Of course, many people on this site have more than four cats and I honestly can't imagine all the litter box scooping involved! Just with my four I feel like I am constantly checking and scooping! I have so much admiration for everyone who is taking care of multiple cats... you are all amazing!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is great news Avery! You are really making progress! I only hope that my 2 do so well! (And I only have the 2 cats - I feel like litter box cleaning is my second job - cannot imagine double that!!):)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multiple cats is a lot of work. The litter robot really cuts down on the litterbox work though! I have one for 3 cats and it's just barely enough. I'd need another one if I added a 4th.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Avery Avery : sorry you didn't catch up on your sleep over the long weekend, but great update.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha ha! KrisinOhio KrisinOhio , yes it sure does feel like litter box cleaning is a second job! If only it paid a little better! I guess we get paid back when the cats continue to USE the litter boxes and don't find another place to go. I am very happy that my cats are using the litter boxes faithfully despite all the changes in the house.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue thanks for asking about my fourth cat! Little Rosie, who is 15, doesn't get too involved in all the new cat business so I don't often mention her! She is a tiny little girl with a feisty nature, but she sleeps downstairs most of the time and just likes to sit in my lap for pets when I watch TV or read. She has encountered Lucky a few times (not Ruby yet) but they just sniffed each other. I did have concerns because Rosie is so small that Lucky would hurt her or bully her or think she was prey, but I guess he knows she is just a small cat and not a bunny! So far so good!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the second day in a row, I have gone to work and left the safe room door open... so far, so good!

Lucky is such a sweet, loving little guy. He and Palmer are doing really well together, playing and chasing each other. Once in a while, Lucky will jump on Palmer and Palmer makes a noise and gets away from him and I worry he is hurt, but he isn't and he goes right back to Lucky within a few seconds as if to say "hey let's keep playing!" Yesterday, Palmer walked up to the water bowl where Ruby was drinking and he must have scared her because she hissed and growled and swatted and Palmer ran into a hiding place. Other than these small things, everything is going better than I ever could have hoped.

Ruby has the option to leave the safe room, but she only ventures out into the hallway and into my bedroom. When I come home from work, she is on her cat tree waiting for food! Of course, it is possible that she goes further during the day when I am gone, but I doubt it. I think in time, she will explore more, but she seems fine right now. The boys often play in the safe room and I lure Lucky in there to join her for meals, so she often has company.

Thanks to everyone for their support and good ideas. You all have made this journey a lot easier, but it isn't over yet and you haven't heard the last of me! I am trying to get a few more pictures of my gang to post!