Self Warming Pet Beds - Are they safe & do they work?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have this one Meow Town Thermal Cat Mat and it really does warm up from the body heat. I accidentally ended up on top of it one time when I was sick and just crashed on my bed after work one day; I woke up an hour later with very warm legs. My cats have used it rarely but my niece steals it sometimes when she spends the night because she likes to sleep warm. I also have this K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Hooded Cat Bed which Rocket has claimed as hers. It is a little too small for Link even though I have the large bed (he is 13 pounds but very long, Rocket is 8 pounds and barely takes up a third of it awkward sized cats :dunno:).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the K&H brand beds and they are fantastic. I like that they will cool down some when the cats aren't in the beds. And I think they are considered low-voltage. They have different styles; including flat beds, so whatever setup you cats prefer they probably make. I don't like to leave them on when we aren't home though. We do have this self-warming mat but it doesn't get much use. It did for a while when I kept it in my rocking chair; but once I moved it they stopped using it.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow guys thanks so much for your input! And for the links you provided too.

@Columbine I really like the fact that the mat you linked is cream-colored. But I read the reviews, and a few said that it was thin.
meuzettesmom meuzettesmom Glad you found something you and your cat likes
Kieka Kieka I dont think my cat will fit in the K&H hooded bed cause he's between 11-12 pounds. I wish the design for the Meow Town was better though lol
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles What you linked is what Kieka has! LOL I really do wish they had a better design...something more of a solid color than leopard.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
11-12 pounds might fit. Link is 13 pounds and its just that he is too tall to step into it with the hood up. He is also incredibly awkward and has bad coordination.

Here are Link and Rocket curled up side by side.
20170926_202947.jpg
IMG952017081595212229.jpg

This one is Rocket in the large bed and she is 8 pounds.

Rocket has short legs so standing normally she can't see over Links back. She almost has to hop a little to even get in the cat bed; as it is she high steps to get in. She isn't munchkin short but humans beds are just almost too tall for her to jump without having to climb some. Link standing on his hind legs can reach the kitchen counter and I can touch his tail without bending over (and I am 5'8"). She can't see over the hood of the bed and he can't duck down low enough. Nightfury, who is the normal sized 9 pound cat of the family, wouldn't have trouble fitting.

The hood does unzip and you can leave it off. Link would fit if it didn't have the hood, which is saying something since this is Link in a 16 inch cat tree bed. Most people seeing him in person estimate his weight in the high teens and the vet tech was suprised at his weight being only 13 the first time he was weighed there.
20170915_215158.jpg

Last edited:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka Link & ROcket are gorgeous! And I can't believe Link is only 13lbs when, from the pics, he looks to be more. I'll continue thinking about it. Even tho my cat is only 11/12lbs, he is big bone and longer than wider and definitely prefers leg room. Right now he's making do with a blanket and an Amazon box as bed so it really is high time for me to give him a proper bed

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a SnuggleSafe microwaveable pet pad. It was recently on sale at DrsFosterandSmith.com for just $14.99 but it's no longer listed on the web site. You can look around Amazon and other web sites for a lower price than the usual $25 or so. The pad comes with a fleece cover but it's a good idea to tuck the whole thing under a folded blanket to avoid your cat being burned from lying on it for too long. The microwave instructions are printed right on the pad and you have to follow it to avoid overheating the pad (says it can leak if overheated). Use pot holders or a folded twoel to remove the pad from the microwave. It doesn't seem hot at first but trust me, it becomes super hot if you hold it for more than a second with bare hands:eek: The inctructions look like one of these, depending on ifyou get a newer one or an older one: Artie and his Issues

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the Snuggle Safe on sale for $14.99 at Amazon about a week and a half ago. I put one in a cart but didn't follow through with the purchase. A couple days later, I decided to purchase. It was still in a saved cart, but the price had increased $11 to $25.99 (so I got mad and didn't order). The regular price has been $19.99 all summer.

I'm going to keep watching and hope for another sale, or at least the $19.99 price, but they may price gouge from Fall through Winter. Should have snapped it up when it was a good deal.