Self Cleaning Litter Box Worth It?

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In general and how about this product below? I have it at home unopened but am having second-thoughts and might return it. Should I send it back and get a different one? Are self-cleaning litter boxes not worth it in general?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had a LitterMaid for years and it worked well for my smallish older cat. However, it was not a time saver for the cats I have now. I think the box was too short for them and they kept peeing/pooping on the rake which was horrible to clean. My advice- if your cat is smallish, it might work well. However, if your cat is large or longish, you are better off with regular litter boxes. (Unless there is a model available now that has a longer box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a LitterMaid for years and it worked well for my smallish older cat. However, it was not a time saver for the cats I have now. I think the box was too short for them and they kept peeing/pooping on the rake which was horrible to clean. My advice- if your cat is smallish, it might work well. However, if your cat is large or longish, you are better off with regular litter boxes. (Unless there is a model available now that has a longer box.
Thanks. Mookie is old and large. But the dimensions of the box are larger than what she uses now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had 2 litter maids. I loved the first till the mechanism that retracts the rake stopped pulling the cord in with it. Noodles liked to stand on the edge of the box and hover instead of stepping more than 1 foot inside. :lol:

The 2nd one didn't last nearly as long and it was louder. We were used to it; but you probably wouldn't want it near your bedroom. I also started having issues with someone going on the ramp.

We went back to 2 large, deep boxes. My house sitter was a little disappointed; but it's not been too much of a pain for us to scoop.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had 2 litter maids. I loved the first till the mechanism that retracts the rake stopped pulling the cord in with it. Noodles liked to stand on the edge of the box and hover instead of stepping more than 1 foot inside. :lol:

The 2nd one didn't last nearly as long and it was louder. We were used to it; but you probably wouldn't want it near your bedroom. I also started having issues with someone going on the ramp.

We went back to 2 large, deep boxes. My house sitter was a little disappointed; but it's not been too much of a pain for us to scoop.
I hadn't thought of the noise. I guess we'll see.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t use a self cleaning box just because I think it’s important to keep track of daily poop/pee habits. I’m not sure how well you can keep track of, for example, frequency and size of pees and poops and whatnot. I’ve also been cleaning litter boxes for so long that it doesn’t gross me out and I think cats don’t really like the self cleaning ones because they tend to be a bit claustrophobic.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recommend the Litter Robot, it is an investment but totally worth it!! Especially if you have more than one cat.
I no longer have to scoop & save so much $ on litter now.
Also it does have an app you can download on your phone which connects to the unit and tracks your cat's poop/pee habits.

Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box for Cats | Litter-Robot™
Ha. That's the one my friend recommended. It's definitely on my radar.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought the Littermaid one for large/multiple cats back in November and it's been great! The only downside has been, it's loud. However it's in the room next-door to my bedroom and didn't really bother me after a couple of days. I would not use this in an apartment. Check on Amazon customer comments to see what people have said about the sound level.

Regarding telling how much cats are peeing and pooping, it's really easy because it's all put into the little container after it's raked. I have five cats and it became obvious in February that one or more cats was peeling a lot more. She has since been diagnosed with kidney disease and an infection.