Seizures in otherwise healthy cat

matsopiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My AWESOME cat of about 4 years has been having seizures and I hope someone out there can shed some light. The vet has done so far 2 rounds of full blood tests and all is normal in that regard. The seizures started about 3 months ago. The first ones were Grand Mal about once per day. We eliminated what we thought might be the responsible toxins - incense and/or a new cat litter. And for several weeks this solved the problem. Fast forward to 1 week ago. She is now having about 10-20 fits per day! They are not Grand Mal (like the first round), but they involve excessive salivation and loss of bowel control and last about 30 seconds. We are currently experimenting with 2 medications based on 2 trips to the vet over the past few days, but they appear to be having no effect ( I know its early days but still...). What gets me is this - when we eliminated the suspected toxins those few months ago, all was FINE adn so I assumed it was one of them responsible for her ill-health. So what is this return of the seizures (which are less severe than the previous but more frequent) due to? Was there ever any toxins involved? does she actually have like a brain tumor or something? and if so why the hiatus? and if it is a toxin what the hell is it? I dont use cleaning chemicals or aromatic stuff around the house. Im at a total loss, please if someone has any ideas I'm all ears (and so thankful!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matsopiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should mention, I live in Eastern Europe, hence the username, which is how we call cats here to come to us and therefore thats how we named our cat as that is what she responds to. I just dont want anyone to think I'm intentionally using bad language in the username! ;-)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Never even realized your name until you made note of it!!! I have nothing to offer in terms of direct experience with seizures, but found this article (see link below) that indicates there can be all sorts of reasons for seizures - up to and including viral or bacterial infections, as well as low blood sugar. Perhaps, you might consider another discussion with your vet about narrowing down possibilities and then have more testing done on those particular ones? You might also talk to your vet about consulting with one that specializes in neurological issues as well.

I also included a second link below to previous posts on this site regarding members whose cats have had seizures in case that might give you some additional information.

Causes of Seizures in Cats

Search Results for Query: seizures

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had two cats who had seizures; however, they did not exactly match those that you describe. One cat, who was a sad street rescue, had cryptococcus and the other had an undiagnosed heart condition (vet tech insisted he heard something but the vet contradicted him, so did nothing). Both cats passed away from their respective conditions but I am not saying that to be negative because you are describing ongoing seizures which leads me to think that there is something possible external which is causing it...as you have experimented with elimination of toxins....or something systemic but ongoing.

I agree that you might need a neurologist to help you on this, especially if your vet is only willing to go so far. When I rushed my first cat to the ER, I was told by the young resident on duty that cats don't have seizures and have found that it is often misunderstood even by competent vets. If you live where there is not any specialized vet care available, you will have to advocate for your cat and insist that more be done to resolve this.

I hope that your little one and you can find a solution.

matsopiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your replies! So Ill just update you - we took her to our house in the village for a couple of days, and wouldn't you know it..she completely stopped having seizures. We couldn't stay there forever (work and school) so we are now back at our apartment in town and hoping like crazy she doesn't have any more issues. I opened all the windows and am keeping her out of the room where the wifi router is etc etc. We just can't think of any other sources of 'poison' that may be affecting her. Ill update here again soon. Thanks again lovely people, your advice is much appreciated! x

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting, but glad that she got some relief. Have you googled "household toxins" or something like that? You might find some really obscure point that might make sense.

matsopiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting, but glad that she got some relief. Have you googled "household toxins" or something like that? You might find some really obscure point that might make sense.
Thank you for your reply! Ive googled the hell out of the subject and eliminated a few things that I thought might be problematic when she had her first round those few months back. And I learnt a few things too - humans with epilepsy say mobile phones and phone towers can induce fits in them. Scary stuff! We are now keeping her away from the wifi router just to be safe. We have been back at the apartment a good say 12+ hours and she is still fit-free. So strange, but very very promising. We have her on anti-epileptic medication as of a few days now, maybe that kicked in? But for that to eliminate all fits so quickly, I have my doubts (as did the vet when we told her). Fingers crossed for continued absence of fits.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fingers crossed definitely. Hopefully the meds will help her to be seizure free. You can go forever with toxins and the sad thing is that for a lot of them you can't do anything.

matsopiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Just an update - out kitty is still seizure-free (and medication-free)! Whatever it was (toxin?) may it not come back again - ever. Thanks so so much for all the advice, best wishes to you all and your furry friends x