Seizures and agoaphobia in cats

meg trema

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two year old Savannah cat has seizures. It seems to be linked with being in a new place, or outside. Any info on this? The blood tests came back negative, so the Dr thinks she has epilepsy but the seizure only occured in new situations or places.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So the Vet isn't able to help you with this.  They THINK it's epilepsy, but aren't giving you anymore info? 

What happens when she has them...do they happen immediately when she goes outside?  Can you give us a little more info?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can trigger seizures in epileptics. So probably she gets stressed by being in a new places and that triggers them. Usually if seizures can be avoided or don't happen too often, the vet won't prescribe medication, because seizure meds have a lot of bad side effects :(.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meg trema

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet took the blood test which were all negative. Her seizures are few and far between. They last under a minute at a time. She has had seven this year, one in july one in august and five in October.
The vet thinks its not a tumor since she is so young.
No medicine is given because she hasn't had them often or frequently.

The first one was when i had her in my arm and took a step outside my front door.
The second one was when she walked into the shed which was right by my front door. The third one was on the way to the car, fourth one (same day)was coming home from the vet, also outside.
The others were on the way to the car as we moved to another house. The two others were after number of hours locked in a safe room within the new house, when I opened the door to let her explore the new house, two steps out, seizure. Few more hours in safe room then again let out to explore on her own terms, she took ten steps out and seizured in new house.
She later came to her sences and hasnt seizured again since the move here two weeks ago.

Shiva is two years old, comes from a good breeder.
The mother cat was blocked on her pregnancy and was not delivering...so mommy cat had a c-section, and Shiva, my cat was bottle fed, along with all other kittens from this litter. All other siblings are doing fine, as far as I know. We keep in contact over FB.

Any questions? Any ideas? Anyone else has a simular situation?

Thank you...[emoji]127802[/emoji]

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise