Seizure Meds Question

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat may finally get meds as it seems the shorter length of time of getting them.
She use to get 1 seizure once every 3 months.
I am worried about meds or the cost.
How often do a cat get blood check after seizure meds I read that there a risk.

Its frightening since I now have low income and became disabled. I never gave up my cats because I love them even if I lost one to cancer I still have a bond.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I was reading your previous thread, and I am kind of glad that your vet has decided to give seizure meds a try - but sorry at the same time to hear that your girl is having the seizures more often.

What med is the vet suggesting? And, did the vet say how often you would need blood tests done? I have no experience with this, but would guess the blood tests will be relatively frequent at the onset to check for drug levels in her system.

Hopefully, other members who have dealt with seizure meds for their cats will have time to log on, read your post, and offer their first hand experiences!! So, check back often for new responses!

Is your avatar a pic of your cat? What's her name (sorry if I missed her name somewhere in your posts)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes her name is candie one on the right, one on left was my cat melody. .my vet appointment is Thursday since my cat isn't in danger cause I have to call the buses 1 week in advance.
So it makes me nervous on seizure meds and blood withdraw or how often.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a cat,, but I do take seizure meds. Blood is only taken if I get any. Does your cat have insurance? I have never used it on my cats but I'm sure someone on this site has.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since it has been diagnosed its to late for insurance.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my cat. My vet calls them vocalization seizure and not severe enough for meds yet. She been living well for 8 years she doesn't get full seizures but he calls them vocalizations seizure. So hopefully she will stay a healthy cat and he showed me her blood work om how they are normal. So basically she is still healthy and thriving. Gain .3 pounds though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did your vet think any kind of calming products might help? There are Feliway products, another one is Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear. There are others - do an internet search for "cat calming products" to see if there are any you might want to try. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment.

Also, you can brew chamomile tea bags - standard grocery store type (german, not English, no additives) and add some to the drinking water. I believe the rule of thumb is 3 teaspoons in some water for a cat 11 pounds and under, and up to 3 tablespoons in some water for those above 11 pounds. You can do a few times a day. The tea has calming properties.

Last edited:

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try some calming products I don't know what is effective but will try them