Seeking recommendation for canned food for super senior cats

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats 15 and 12 years old. They've been fed mostly dry food(origen), but I want to switch to canned food made for super senior cats. One of them has high calcium and phosphorus and has lower respiratory issues and joint problem and they're both slightly overweight. Thanks in advance for your recommendation!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Look into the Core Wellness brand, they have excellent ingredients. I have also fed my seniors Purina Pro Plan and Royal Canin.

If you feel your senior kitties are not getting all the nutrition they need from their food then you can use a powdered multivitamin geared towards Senior cats. 🙂

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i don't know if there is any special food requirements for lower respiratory issues, did your Vet mention any? As far as food lower in phosphorus, I do know that Dave's (that's the brand name) makes a food that is specifically lower in phosphorus and Magnesium. Has that particular cat been diagnosed with kidney disease? Usually kidney cats need low phos. food. For a listing of those foods, here is a chart that I always used: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa

As far as having high calcium, do you mean they have high blood calcium? For that, normally medication is given, not a special diet that is lower in calcium. For food lower in calcium, you might actually have to make your own, since cats have nutritional requirements for calcium and I'm not sure lowering that in food would them the "good housekeeping" seal.

BTW, is it one cat who has all the issues, or one has some issues and the other has some. Both my guys will be twelve next year and I don't even feed them senior food because neither I nor my Vet feels it's necessary. You might consider feeding special food only to the cat whose got health issues if it's just one.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seniors don't really need any different food than adults. Although you may want to try adding digestive enzymes to their food to help out their senior digestion. I like the Optagest brand. If you have the smidgen-pinch-dash measuring spoons, a pinch (1/16th tsp) in each meal was good for my Krista. I could tell the difference it was making for her in her poops. Great form and low odor.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LO2QEG/?tag=thecatsite

I do like the Rawz brand for canned food for senior cats. Their guts tend to be more sensitive after a lifetime of dry food or weird ingredients cat food makers include. I like Rawz because they are clean recipes with single protein and no nonsense ingredients. It's hard to find sometimes. It's expensive. But it's still cheaper than vet visits.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Senior cats are more at risk for allergins. I agree with @daft that rawz is a good brand though expensive and is only at small pet stores. Though Amazon now sells it now. I took her off wellness core. It had too much meat in it. Dont remember exactly since it's been years. I also gave her koha duck and instinct limited ingredient. Rawz has no gums. Make sure the food has no fish when checking the ingredients. It is not always listed.

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do like the Rawz brand for canned food for senior cats. Their guts tend to be more sensitive after a lifetime of dry food or weird ingredients cat food makers include. I like Rawz because they are clean recipes with single protein and no nonsense ingredients. It's hard to find sometimes. It's expensive. But it's still cheaper than vet visits.
Where to Buy | RAWZ
I LOVE Rawz! Simple ingredients and my cats love it! Unfortunately with COVID it’s hard to get here in Canada so I stock up when I can.